Yardman 13b-325-401

CaveBear

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm having trouble finding a part to fix my neighbors Yard Bug. The blade brake decided to wear itself out and I cannot find a replacement. Original part 683-0159 replaced by 983-0159 but nobody has it that I can find. I found one similar on Ebay (part #683-0440 - but the picture gives you a good idea of the brake pad itself) but completely different part no. and bracket. What I need is the actual brake pad which is about 2" long in a trapezoid shape where the narrow end fits into a 5/8 deck pulley. It's held in place by a couple of rivets. (which I can drill out and replace) I tried flipping it over but trying to get the correct shape seems to be quite a challenge. Since the brake doesn't stop the blade it's quite dangerous and burns out belts quickly. Does anyone have any suggestions or know where I could get something like this made without costing an arm and a leg as she is not very financially in a good place right now since the pandemic took away about 90% of her home based business. Thanks for any suggestions!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I replace the pads on all of the mowers I service with bulk pad material
I get off cuts from a shop that relines truck brakes
Just a thought
You can search friction brake sheets to find manufacturers and in many cases they will also sell part sheets & off cuts .
The brake pads on a greenfields I just serviced were $ 65 each
A small sheet of the material was $ 48 , enough to make 50 or so pads .
Worse comes to worse you can do what owners of antique motorcycle owners do for dummy rim brake blocks, grab a lump of hard wood and start whitteling

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The 683-0159 sub to 983-0159 is no longer available. So may have to find another route to repair. And if the brake is wearing that much then I would be wondering why the belt is not stopping from turning the blade.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
MTD once sold just the pads but the last ones I purchase were returned due to such lousy quality and they simply quit selling them. McMaster has brake material and rivets to repair the brake assy as long as it not damaged otherwise.

CaveBear

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just a heads up - I was able to drill this pad out, flip it over and grind it down to fit the pulley. Of course, it had to break but was able to JB Weld it together and working well now. How long will it last? Who knows!