Export thread

yard machine

S

shaniac

I have a yard machine, 18.5 B&S. quit last year. Its around a 99 model (when I say quit, it was a starting issue not a motor)Today I changed the oil, gas, plugs, drive belt, new battery, and ignition switch. went to turn the key and nothing. I discovered my tranny will not go into neutral. I had removed the bracket that holds the shifter lever to install the belt, and now it is not going into neutral. I think this might be the problem, at least not cranking over, but not sure. wheels do spin opposite when jacked up.
NOTE- before removing the shifter bracket I did try to remove the rear pully attached to the transmission but no luck, is this where I screwed up? it was in neutral earlier today because I let it roll off the trailer.

Model is 13AS679G062

I also put on new solenoid and checked the fuse next to it. I only found one fuse

SONOFADOCKER

SONOFADOCKER

Did you loop the drive belt wrong that it is to tight to let the shifter move ?

S

shaniac

Did you loop the drive belt wrong that it is to tight to let the shifter move ?

update- I hot-wired it up and got it started. when it started, I was able to get into all gears and it drove fine. However, when i went to turn key to off position it kept running? So at this point I am asking what is causing it not to start or turn off with a new ignition switch and solenoid? I pulled tape off of wire harness looking for a short. I also checked new ignition swith ohm's, its ok. ohm's to solenoid is ok. battery ohm's ok. I swear i checked the fuse its fine too. I looked at the switch to mower deck that gets depressed when mower deck is all the way up. Thanks for replies

ASEAudie

ASEAudie

update- I hot-wired it up and got it started. when it started, I was able to get into all gears and it drove fine. However, when i went to turn key to off position it kept running? So at this point I am asking what is causing it not to start or turn off with a new ignition switch and solenoid? I pulled tape off of wire harness looking for a short. I also checked new ignition swith ohm's, its ok. ohm's to solenoid is ok. battery ohm's ok. I swear i checked the fuse its fine too. I looked at the switch to mower deck that gets depressed when mower deck is all the way up. Thanks for replies

Possible that you purchased the wrong ignition switch.

S

shaniac

Possible that you purchased the wrong ignition switch.

Sir I don't know you, but after a day and a half of troubleshooting you nailed it, and I am truly greatful! I put the old switch back on and cleaned it, bumped the starter and wallah.....she cranked!!! the parts store gave me a newer switch that fit perfect but didn't work. HAPPY EASTER!!!

SONOFADOCKER

SONOFADOCKER

Look on you tube - there is a guy that posted a video of the same problem . Small relay had failed that went between the key and the stator - like 13.00 part. I think his machine was a Murray or Scott's if it helps locate it .