X300 Accessories

TulsaDeere1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone. I have a Deere X300 & I purchased the work light accessory from Deere. The instructions for wiring it are terrible. I have checked out a work light at NAPA which may be a possibility. Anyone have experience with installing one of these or experience with the electrical system who can give me some guidance?

Thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey everyone. I have a Deere X300 & I purchased the work light accessory from Deere. The instructions for wiring it are terrible. I have checked out a work light at NAPA which may be a possibility. Anyone have experience with installing one of these or experience with the electrical system who can give me some guidance?

Thanks

Installing a accessory light shouldn't be any big wiring job. You will need two different sources of electric to the light. They are a positive + and a negative-. As a rule you can pick up the negative from the body where you mount the light if it is metal (you will need no wires) and if not, you will have to run a wire from the tractor body to the light mount. Now the positive side is to the wire that goes to the bulb. I would think the simples place to start from the battery positive post. (the red large cable) Run a wire from there to a fuse. You should be able find a fuse holder from NAPA. Now from the fuse to a switch. The switch will act as a gate as it opens and closes will turn the light on and off. You now run the wire from the switch to the wire that goes to the bulb.

mullins87

Threads
I feel your pain. Last year I installed the forward and rear work lights on a JD 3038E. The instructions were less than perfect. Infact, the connectors on the wiring harness were reversed, so the wire colors are switched if you try to trace those wires from the switch to the light.

What is the exact nature of your confusion?

TulsaDeere1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I may have resolved some of my confussion, but I am left with one question. I am going to install a switch for just this light and come from the fuse block. I have an empty space, or so I thought. There is no fuse in this space, however, in the back, there is a red wire coming out of one of the connectors. Is that delivering power to that fuse and I just need to run my power wire from that fuse to the switch? Automotive type wiring has always been a weekness of mine.

TulsaDeere1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Installing a accessory light shouldn't be any big wiring job. You will need two different sources of electric to the light. They are a positive + and a negative-. As a rule you can pick up the negative from the body where you mount the light if it is metal (you will need no wires) and if not, you will have to run a wire from the tractor body to the light mount. Now the positive side is to the wire that goes to the bulb. I would think the simples place to start from the battery positive post. (the red large cable) Run a wire from there to a fuse. You should be able find a fuse holder from NAPA. Now from the fuse to a switch. The switch will act as a gate as it opens and closes will turn the light on and off. You now run the wire from the switch to the wire that goes to the bulb.

This helps a lot. I went to NAPA and got a switch. The parts person helped me out. Just one more question. I have an empty space, or so I thought. There is no fuse in this space, however, in the back, there is a red wire coming out of one of the connectors. Is that delivering power to that fuse and I just need to run my power wire from that fuse to the switch?

mullins87

Threads
This helps a lot. I went to NAPA and got a switch. The parts person helped me out. Just one more question. I have an empty space, or so I thought. There is no fuse in this space, however, in the back, there is a red wire coming out of one of the connectors. Is that delivering power to that fuse and I just need to run my power wire from that fuse to the switch?

Could be, but you need to know. Use a 12 volt circuit tester to see if that wire has power. If it does, then you may be able to use it.

rangid

Threads
That red wire in the fuse block is an unswitched hot used for installing the accessory port kit. Similar to what you would find in your car.