X1i GREAT CUT IN FRONT YARD, CONCERNS ABOUT BACK YARD....

loomster2000

Threads
  • / X1i GREAT CUT IN FRONT YARD, CONCERNS ABOUT BACK YARD....
Hi guys,

I have about 4 acres to cut each week. Since I am totally ignorant when it comes to grass names, I'll just say that I have what I call "regular grass" in the front yard. On this grass, I get a wonderfully beautiful cut. The entire yard looks like a green sheet when I am done with every blade of grass the exact same height. I have also enjoyed changing my rows between cutting straight rows and diagonals.

The back yard is similar in that it too contains "regular grass" that gets a nice, even cut. I alternate between the straight rows and diagonals on this "back 40" as well. The only issue is this: I also have in the back yard some kind of grass (I have no idea what it's called) that grows up as a shoot about 6-8" tall every week. They don't grow thick, but they are tall and spaced out over the entire back yard. As I cut, I'm cutting at a 3" deck height with the throttle all the way open, but still at times there may be a shoot standing here and there that seems to survive me cutting over it. And what is really weird is that it seems to be totally untouched. It's not happening constantly, but sometimes in a long row I have cut, there will be 5 or 6 noticeable shoots still standing proudly at about a 6-8" height. Anyone know why this might be the case? I don't know how anything could escaped being cut down by that fast blade speed.

Thanks!

JPR

Threads
Hi guys,

I have about 4 acres to cut each week. Since I am totally ignorant when it comes to grass names, I'll just say that I have what I call "regular grass" in the front yard. On this grass, I get a wonderfully beautiful cut. The entire yard looks like a green sheet when I am done with every blade of grass the exact same height. I have also enjoyed changing my rows between cutting straight rows and diagonals.

The back yard is similar in that it too contains "regular grass" that gets a nice, even cut. I alternate between the straight rows and diagonals on this "back 40" as well. The only issue is this: I also have in the back yard some kind of grass (I have no idea what it's called) that grows up as a shoot about 6-8" tall every week. They don't grow thick, but they are tall and spaced out over the entire back yard. As I cut, I'm cutting at a 3" deck height with the throttle all the way open, but still at times there may be a shoot standing here and there that seems to survive me cutting over it. And what is really weird is that it seems to be totally untouched. It's not happening constantly, but sometimes in a long row I have cut, there will be 5 or 6 noticeable shoots still standing proudly at about a 6-8" height. Anyone know why this might be the case? I don't know how anything could escaped being cut down by that fast blade speed.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what type of grass you have, but I can tell you I noticed dandelions doing the same thing to my Raptor SD 54, with stock blades.

loomster2000

Threads
Thanks for the input, JPR.

Anyone else have any ideas what might be going on?