Export thread

Would you buy from Ebay?

L

littleAudrey

Would you buy a lawn mower from Ebay? I deliberated for a long time wondering whether it was a bad idea but the price was very good so I went ahead and bought it. On the whole I was pleased but it broke down within a year. I'll give the seller credit for replacing it immediately with a brand new one but I may have been fortunate and perhaps wouldn't do it again.

T

TedBeal

I have bought electrical goods from Ebay and if I was familiar with the make, and it was maybe a private seller where I could go and try out the goods first, I'd consider it but you have to be careful as a lot of the "new" goods are just refurbished.

K

KennyV

Absolutely ...
and I have a lot of things ...From cars and tractors to electronics and hardware... New to used...:thumbsup:
In hundreds of transactions I have only had one less than perfect transaction. Definitely great odds for a good deal.
Like in any thing in life ... YOU must pay attention and know a little about what you are doing/getting.
Ebay is wonderful... :smile:KennyV

M

Mac 624

Like in any thing in life ... YOU must pay attention and know a little about what you are doing/getting.
I agree

Ebay is wonderful... :smile:KennyV

For Germany I can not say so. Ebay is overpriced. Lot of Goofys there, which want an item, You often can buy new for a lower price or better to buy local. Also lot of chinese junk, too.

Yes, I have done a lot of good sales there. If problems appear, ebay is quiet but is talking about the Ebay "community!
They suck money and it is very expensive today. It makes no fun to do deals there today and I stay away from there since neraly 2 years. Prices are pushed by inner cirkles of a lot of buyers. I guess it is the same in the US.

Z

Zeroturn

Nope, not unless it was in my local area and I could go look at it prior to buying it. You just don't know who you are dealing with on e-bay and you don't know what you will get.

U

Usedtorent

I would have to say that I would not buy a lawnmower from e-bay either. I can't imagine the shipping cost to have a rider shipped to you. I bet most are sold that you have to come pick them up.

D

DakotaMM

I might buy one from Ebay but I find it to be a little to impersonal for my case. I might buy one off of craigslist because it is easier to get in to direct contact with the owners (in my experience).

B

Bethieboo

I guess I am just to paranoid about ebay to use it for anything. I have heard so many horror stories and I hear that it is difficult to get a charge back if you need one.

P

pebbles

I wouldn't buy parts off ebay, there is no guarantee that the part will fit and then you have the hassle of returning the part or trying to sell it on yourself.

K

KennyV

There are millions of transactions on Ebay, the shear number of daily sales speaks for itself...
If you have not looked, go there, look around, there are links to help you figure out what is really going on... see: eBay: Learning Center: Index
It's not a mysterious place, you can find almost anything there. AND you can sell things that others are in need of...
Some listings are auctions some are just posts of things for sale...:smile:KennyV

T

TedBeal

There is a great buyer protection policy in force if you pay on Ebay with Paypal. I have used it myself when I did not receive goods. I had my money refunded very quickly and the seller would have been able to claim his money back from the postal services, so that aspect shouldn't put you off.

H

Hershey

Yes, I would, if the pricing were right. Ebay has a lot of protections now for buyers so it's not anywhere as risky as it used to be. In fact, with PayPal's protection for larger items, and all of the ratings for the sellers, it's really a buyer's world.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Ebay and Amazon both work for me. I think the Amazon site is easier to navagate. I use both to benchmark the low price. If you can get it cheaper than either... buy it?
You might be surpised to know you can get just about any parts you need at one or the other by using correct p/n.
The best part is it's on the way and you never leave the house or pick up the phone, Ever visit a NAPA or call one on a Saturday afternoon? You better pack a lunch.

M

Manny

I would do it if the seller had good feedback, and if the shipping charges are not outrageous. If that's the case, I am better off going to the store and buying it.

Attachments

T

Twinkle

I have bought various things from eBay over the years and never had a problem. I do tend to stick with items being sold there directly by a manufacturer though, I haven't the patience for the auctions. I do take into account the cost of delivery but all in all for me it's no different from any other online shopping site.

briggs

briggs

i havent bought anything from there yet ..I am still Leary heard to many bad things

grnspot110

grnspot110

I've bought several things through ebay, from clothes to garden tractor parts & manuals, including one JD 112 round fender. For the 112, I had asked the seller ahead of time if he would meet me halfway (about 2-1/2 hour drive for each of us, which he did. One thing I check is the seller's "feedback", if the percentage isn't really high, I pass! ~~ grnspot110

K

KennyV

..I am still Leary heard to many bad things

I have bought thousands of dollars worth of things... It has always been good but here lately it is GREAT... everything is slanted in favor of the buyer... you have Ebay buyers protection that now includes money back on the shipping... there is almost no way to loose.

I have had exceptional good luck with used items, I find the descriptions are very accurate, and new items have been NEW...
Give it a try out... It will surprise you what all you will find there.:thumbsup:
And Like has been said, look at 'feedback', 96 and below is a caution and 98 and above is what I look for...My feedback is 100 and I plan to keep it that way...

But you can see what the complaints are and make your determination... :smile:KennyV

Attachments

adan

adan

Maybe I'm a bit old school, but I wouldn't buy any machine without seeing and touching it first. Did you buy it as a brand new item? or as a pre-owned unit? It's not clear to me.

briggs

briggs

I have bought thousands of dollars worth of things... It has always been good but here lately it is GREAT... everything is slanted in favor of the buyer... you have Ebay buyers protection that now includes money back on the shipping... there is almost no way to loose.

I have had exceptional good luck with used items, I find the descriptions are very accurate, and new items have been NEW...
Give it a try out... It will surprise you what all you will find there.:thumbsup:
And Like has been said, look at 'feedback', 96 and below is a caution and 98 and above is what I look for...My feedback is 100 and I plan to keep it that way...

But you can see what the complaints are and make your determination... :smile:KennyV

yes this is true ..thanks for the info i will look into it more

Attachments

adan

adan

This is enlightening. Fact is, there is eBay Philippines. But I haven't really browsed that site yet, until after I read the quoted reply from KennyV. I'm amazed by what's available there. This is one take I got from this forum that I won't forget.

A

abeja_reina_1989

I don't see anything wrong with it. However, you must be very careful for scammers. I would personally always go to the person's house that you are buying from and check out the mower to make sure. When it comes to large amounts of money spent on Ebay, you should always double check.

K

KennyV

It is often not practical to only buy things from your immediate neighborhood...
I have bought things from all across the USA and from quite a few foreign countries... No problem.

Look around on Ebay it is a great place to Safely shop, and shipping is very handy, USPS or UPS, motor freight for large things..... :smile:KennyV