Export thread

Wood Piles

H

Hershey

We had a tree cut down some time ago, and all of the tree pieces are lined up against the fence. Is there any decay that will happen here, or will those 'logs' last forever?

BKBrown

BKBrown

Get them up off the ground and not touching the fence. They should last a long time, but maybe not forever.

H

Hershey

What's the danger in having them off the ground versus being on the ground? These are some pretty big logs. We don't really intend to use them for fires or anything. They're just great to keep the dogs from digging.

rekees

rekees

We had a tree cut down some time ago, and all of the tree pieces are lined up against the fence. Is there any decay that will happen here, or will those 'logs' last forever?

Nothing lasts forever. How long the decay takes depends on the species of wood, moisture, termites, etc. If your fence is made of wood termites are a concern. The logs should last several years.

T

Thunder

All wood decomposes in time. If you have them on the ground and up against other wood, termites would concern me, and they will decompose faster. Say 100 years instead of 200.

BKBrown

BKBrown

I guess I was under the impression you wanted to save them for firewood :confused2: - If you aren't planning to use them to burn ----- they are OK on the ground ----- termites would be a concern if the fence is wood.

H

Hershey

Now y'all are scaring me. Yes, the fence is wood. The wood logs aren't by the house though, but I'm not sure how termites travel and such.

BKBrown

BKBrown

Now y'all are scaring me. Yes, the fence is wood. The wood logs aren't by the house though, but I'm not sure how termites travel and such.

They travel under ground and in wood. They are attracted to any non pressure treated wood in contact with the ground. I have even seen them in pressure treated lumber (even when it is not supposed to be the case). :eek:

K

KennyV

They travel under ground and in wood. They are attracted to any non pressure treated wood in contact with the ground. I have even seen them in pressure treated lumber (even when it is not supposed to be the case). :eek:

All correct... Plus when they swarm they grow wings and FLY to adjoining buildings to establish new colonies.... KennyV

H

Hershey

Okay, so I need to find a way to elevate this wood. What economical idea do you think I could do? What type of platform or whatever? The logs aren't touching my wood fence. They are a few inches away from the fence, but they are right on the ground.

BKBrown

BKBrown

Even 2" paving blocks will get them out of ground contact - any good lever should lift enough for another to slide a paving block underneath.
Okay, so I need to find a way to elevate this wood. What economical idea do you think I could do? What type of platform or whatever? The logs aren't touching my wood fence. They are a few inches away from the fence, but they are right on the ground.

H

Hershey

Not to sound dumb or anything, but where would I get paving blocks? I've never even thought about buying something like this. Are they available at places at Ace Hardware, or where? Thanks.

rmancini

rmancini

Why not buy a couple of pressure treated 2x4s, lay them side buy side on the flat and put your rounds on top. They would then be off the ground.
Rich

H

Hershey

Isn't that putting the logs on wood? Does pressure treating them take away the termite threat? That's what I'm trying to avoid.

BKBrown

BKBrown

Ace might have them - if not ask them where to get them locally. I would use something other than pressure treated (they have restricted CCA (CCA) is a chemical wood preservative containing chromium, copper and arsenic. production of pressure treated that was much better) (thank you federal government - NOT) Concrete, metal, or plastic would be better to keep them from direct ground contact. Just in case - a good lever would be anything strong enough and long enough to put under the wood to be lifted and use a fulcrum higher than what you will be sliding under the logs. While you are in ACE (or wherever) ask about termite prevention insecticide.
Not to sound dumb or anything, but where would I get paving blocks? I've never even thought about buying something like this. Are they available at places at Ace Hardware, or where? Thanks.

rmancini

rmancini

Isn't that putting the logs on wood? Does pressure treating them take away the termite threat? That's what I'm trying to avoid.

The pressure treating will negate the termite problem. That type of lumber is made for groung contact.
If your fence is wood, the existing posts might also be treated. Look for thousands of little "dings" on all the surfaces.
That is where the chemicals are injected into the wood.
Rich

S

SallyA

Getting them off the ground is important, but I have a question. You said you're not going to use them for firewood. If you're not planning to use them for something else, why not cut them up and either sell or give away the wood. Getting them off the ground will delay them from rotting, but it won't prevent it indefinitely.

H

Homesteader

Any wood on the ground eventually becomes homes for critters. And how long that takes is exactly how long your logs will last. Depending on what type of critters move in might make the dogs dig instead of stopping them.