Will flywheel spin if a safety switch is bad?

LarryJohnson

Threads
I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to diagnose the no-start issue with my mower; Murray 425009x8A with B&S 31R907-0007-G1 engine. It died while I was mowing.
The flywheel spins and I can get it to run at 1/4 power for a second or two. I've been assuming that a bad switch would be like disconnecting the battery, preventing the flywheel from turning. Is this a correct assumption.
Thus far, replaced the carb, coil, plug and gas.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Fresh fuel, fresh air, good spark & good cylinder compression are needed to run. Use OEM B&S & Murray parts.
See Wiring Schematic page 10 in Parts Manual above, use multimeter or 12v test light to troubleshoot electrical system.

Last edited:

Bertrrr

Threads
Safety switches interrupt the starting circuit so nothing happens when one of them is triggered , some are normally open and some are normally closed. If your machine is spinning and trying to start , it's not a safety switch problem
yours sounds like a fuel issue, shoot some starting fluid in the carb while spinning over , if it hits and tries to run ,it's pointing to fuel - if not ,,, spark.