Export thread

Why chose a Ferris?

dria

dria

What are some things about a Ferris mower that would make you want to buy it? What are some things that might make you not want to buy it. In other words what are the pros and cons?

B

Bethieboo

Ferris mowers have an independent suspension which is a pro for many owners. They have the same engine that the scag has. They also have about the same price. But yeah the all wheel suspension is a plus.

dria

dria

What is the benefit of having suspension on all four wheels. In what ways does that effect the mower and its performance? What are some of the other pros and cons?

D

DakotaMM

Well it means that you are going to have a much smoother ride. Some say it also makes for a more even cut but I do not know if that is necessarily the case.

Carl_NH

Carl_NH

Well I chose the Ferris for;
1. Ride Comfort
2. Build Quality
3. Price $7K new

Most of the commercial guys I know have the Scag or Exmark - they are simple durable mowers and all ZTR will cut grass very well when they are properly setup.

I have a lawn that is reclaimed forest with topsoil added, so has dips and protruding ledge here and there so I wanted a smooth machine that could raise/lower quickly and also was built well. My other choice was the Kubota ZD328 but that was too $$$..

sduncan000

sduncan000

I chose my Ferris because of reviews on sites like this and specifically the suspension since I have very rough ground in many spots and also because I have no hills to worry about :thumbsup:

My choice mainly was between Ferris and Bobcat with a slight interest in Badboy.

The local Badboy dealer quit carrying them.
Bobcat dealer was 25 minutes away.
Ferris dealer was 10 minutes away in town. Plus he gave me a great deal!

Kingwood990

Kingwood990

I ran a Ferris IS3000 with the 31 horse Kohler and the 61 inch deck for about 30 minutes and I loved it. These mowers cut great and ride even better.:thumbsup:

sduncan000

sduncan000

I ran a Ferris IS3000 with the 31 horse Kohler and the 61 inch deck for about 30 minutes and I loved it. These mowers cut great and ride even better.:thumbsup:

That is true - what used to take me 10 hours on my old Craftsman 42" now takes about 3.5 hours.
If this rain ever lets up, I can get out there and do some mowin'!

V

vapoppa

because IMHO this is the best most durable mower ever. i've had three and with a wore out bqck i can't take getting pounded for 5 hrs. expensive---- ye---- so are good tools but quality isn't expensive --- it's priceless---mase

sduncan000

sduncan000

"quality isn't expensive --- it's priceless"

Absolutely.

I heard this motto years ago, just didn't listen then.
"Buy the BEST you can afford".

I firmly believe that in the long run, you will end up paying less overall.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Pro- I have a three wheel 60 pro cut and it is the best mower I have ever owned, .cuts good and easy to operate. Con- Very costly to repair.

T

tmar04

I just bought a Ferris commercial Pro Cut 48, that is 27 yrs old and all original. I figured if it could run good after 27 yrs, then I'd bet on it. Has Kohler 18 Magnum that pulls strong as a bull, and cuts smooth. no leaks, all mechanical, and /FerrisIndustries has super customer support. I am second owner and plan to use it on a 15 acre mini farm I own in So Georgia.:smile:

schmidtsm

schmidtsm

I like the idea o full suspension but how long do the shocks last and what does it cost to repair?

Carl_NH

Carl_NH

They are well built and have a great suspension. As to repairing the shocks I cant imagine more than $50 a piece and I would think 10 years at least for a homeowner before replacement.

If you look close at the IS2000 model it is a full independent suspension, and heavy duty hardware and high quality locknuts on everything. Bearings on the hand brake, and its the overall build quality.

As to repairs I dont anticpate anymore than my 22 YO cub cadet garden tractor - maybe less over the long haul.

L

Lukesin

Newbie here. I have been looking into a zero turn to replace my tractor. I have been looking at the Ferris models and a few others. One thing I wanted to ask was about pulling implements behind. I understand it's a whole new steering experience and backing up, but what about pulling sprayers or lawn carts. Does anyone? Thanks.

Carl_NH

Carl_NH

Yes - I pull a trac vac (300Lbs+ full) with the IS2000 and also I use it to pull a 10 CU Ft cart for from my woods to the wood pile with split wood.

I did add a hydro oil cooler (standard on IS3100 and up models) for $50 in the return line to the resivoir tank and mounted this above the engine to pull air trhu it. This reduced the hydro temp from 180 to 135 or so.

Attachments

L

Lukesin

Carl ... Really, Well that answered that. ... Didn't take long getting use to the sharp steering? ... Ferris reliable? Reason over others? I thought the suspension was nice, but...??

Was searching around for more ZT mower info and found these ... Adj. Mower Hitch for Pull Behind Lawn Leaf Sweeper Sprayer Thatcher Aerator Cart | eBay

Anybody have one on their mower? Thoughts?

Thanks, ahead.

Carl_NH

Carl_NH

Thats a "fancy" hitch - mine was $35 on ebay so for the money that one you showed is much nicer.

As far as backing up, and turning with a cart behind the ZTR is actually a lot easier to back up as you can make corrections quickly and manuever a lot esier than a garden tractor. You dont have to reverse steer as much and its just easier.

As far as reliablity the Ferris are right up there with SCAG, Exmark, and all the top brands. What sets them apart is the suspension - true 4 wheel independent suspension on the IS2000 and up models and basic suspension on the IS1500 and IS500.

Then the hardware they use - all locknuts with nylon ferrules, and the HD frame and suspension once you look at one and then ride one you will see the difference.

I have a lot of rough ground (former forest) and rocks/ledge around and the Ferris handles it nicely and the cut is quite good.

Prepare to spend $5K + for the IS500-1500 series and $7K + for the IS2000 series. Now is a good time to buy before winter as well and you can get 0% for 3 years.

L

Lukesin

That's what I like to hear. I was leaning Scag, now, going have to put some dealership time in. Maybe a couple test drives, too.

I like that hitch. Wish it would have been around some years ago. But would like to hear some input on those first, too.

Thanks again, Carl. You just made it harder for me to pick. :laughing:

F

ferrisbestyet

Re: Why chose a Ferris? Just pure quajity ,,, Just ride on it,,,,,Mechamic 30 ye

What is the benefit of having suspension on all four wheels. In what ways does that effect the mower and its performance? What are some of the other pros and cons?
Just pure quality ,,,Just ride on it,,, You will feel the difference,, Mechanic 30 years

Seneca SS

Seneca SS

My son-in-law researched zero turns for 2 yrs and finally got a Ferris so I figured it would work good for us---needed at least rear suspension and wanted deck in the 50" range and don't mind the briggs motor at all and the price was within my budget--picking it up either tomorrow or Tuesday :smile:depending on the weather--don't want any salt :mad:from the roads to get on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F

ferrisbestyet

My son-in-law researched zero turns for 2 yrs and finally got a Ferris so I figured it would work good for us---needed at least rear suspension and wanted deck in the 50" range and don't mind the briggs motor at all and the price was within my budget--picking it up either tomorrow or Tuesday :smile:depending on the weather--don't want any salt :mad:from the roads to get on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A very smart lad who really did his homework(and got it right) ,,,,,The Ferris is power coated ,, The best paint for all equipment for outside conditions,,,, Most of the zt riders are pretty much the same, Only the Ferris stands alone,,,L O L H A N D

reynoldston

reynoldston

Don't rush it seeing we got more snow last night. I don't know about your lawn but mine is all white this AM.

Seneca SS

Seneca SS

a foot of snow cover in most places :thumbdown:

Seneca SS

Seneca SS

son-in-law has a 3100z 61" and mows about 4 acres with a lot of trees---cut his time almost in 1/2 :smile:

reynoldston

reynoldston

a foot of snow cover in most places :thumbdown:

must of hit a little harder south of us, we only got about 3 ins. last night, you can keep it down there

F

ferrisbestyet

son-in-law has a 3100z 61" and mows about 4 acres with a lot of trees---cut his time almost in 1/2 :smile:
RED NECK MOWER

[urhttp://www.lawnmowerforum.com/asset.php?fid=20537&uid=53550&d=1427042310l]http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/asset.php?fid=20537&uid=53550&d=1427042310HN.608050988887967610&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0[/url]

Attachments

Seneca SS

Seneca SS

RED NECK MOWER

[urhttp://www.lawnmowerforum.com/asset.php?fid=20537&uid=53550&d=1427042310l]http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/asset.php?fid=20537&uid=53550&d=1427042310HN.608050988887967610&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0[/url]

is that a Dixie chopper ????:cool:

reynoldston

reynoldston

RED NECK MOWER

With that chopper front end it has to take a 1/2 acre to turn the thing around.

F

ferrisbestyet

With that chopper front end it has to take a 1/2 acre to turn the thing around.
No problem red knickers only drive it when drunk or on a run frum de polceee

sduncan000

sduncan000

When I switched from my Craftsman 42" to my Ferris 2000z 52", I seriously cut my time by 2/3... went from 10 hours to 3 at the worst.
Was one of the best investments I have ever made - aside from marrying my lovely bride that is!

F

ferrisbestyet

When I switched from my Craftsman 42" to my Ferris 2000z 52", I seriously cut my time by 2/3... went from 10 hours to 3 at the worst.
Was one of the best investments I have ever made - aside from marrying my lovely bride that is!
Great You have a match made in heaven The beauty(wife) and the beast(Ferris) Frank Shreveport Married in June of 1964 to my beauty,,,,2012 to my beast(Ferris) This mower is a tank,,,, LOL H A N D

Attachments

R

rmccutchan

I had a Toro Groundsmaster for one summer and the properties I mowed were a little lumpy.....it was so rough that it made me have to pee about every 15 minutes.:thumbdown: I'm looking forward to suspension this year! :thumbsup:

sduncan000

sduncan000

Married in June of 1964 to my beauty
Congratulations! You've got 30 years on me - we were married in 94 (I wasnt born til '67!)
Sounds like you have one of the best marriages!

F

ferrisbestyet

I had a Toro Groundsmaster for one summer and the properties I mowed were a little lumpy.....it was so rough that it made me have to pee about every 15 minutes.:thumbdown: I'm looking forward to suspension this year! :thumbsup:
Haaaaaaaa That is a cute little clown mower for home owners on a budget,,,You !Now own a real Machine and real easy on the rear, Your beer wont even bonce out of the holder while mowing...(smile)

F

ferrisbestyet

Congratulations! You've got 30 years on me - we were married in 94 (I wasnt born til '67!)
Sounds like you have one of the best marriages!
Thanks,,, Best of luck and happiness to you and your sweet mate,,, It has been a beautiful ride so far,,, LOL .. GOD and FERRIS Don't make no junk.. Say Amen

sduncan000

sduncan000

Thanks,,, Best of luck and happiness to you and your sweet mate,,, It has been a beautiful ride so far,,, LOL .. GOD and FERRIS Don't make no junk.. Say Amen
I hear you and Amen to that

C

Chugbug

I demoed the 3200 today and the ride beats anything I've tested to date. It has a 4 year, 500 hour warranty. They were asking 10,900 for the Kaw 1000 and 10,499 for the Vanguard. Didn't get to cut grass was soaked but the ride is unbelievable.

F

ferrisbestyet

I demoed the 3200 today and the ride beats anything I've tested to date. It has a 4 year, 500 hour warranty. They were asking 10,900 for the Kaw 1000 and 10,499 for the Vanguard. Didn't get to cut grass was soaked but the ride is unbelievable.
Great ,, The Briggs vanguard is a fine motor Parts cheaper than the Kaw ,,You will love the Ferris...You will wear out three kaws or Briggs b/4 you hurt the over all body and frame of the Ferris ,,, This machine is a tank...... l o l This is not your Home Despot mower with bells and whistles,,,,, h a n d GOD AND FERRIS DON,T BUILT N0 JUNK
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/asset.php?fid=20591&uid=53550&d=1427488953