Why are both my aftermarket Kohler XT carbs leaking?

juntjoo

Threads
Turns out after trying both out they both leak and I popped in my oldest one, which now I can't remember why I replaced it, and it works. Not perfect but doesn't leak and maintains decent power.

So what typically causes these to leak, maybe just aftermarket ones? Could the main jet be too big? Leaks from the mouth(?) not the bowl soaking the gasket while running. It wouldn't be the bottom part of the main jet you screw in. I used the aftermarket piece for that. Next time I take it out I'll compare the main jets long part unless you guys got a better idea.

juntjoo

Threads
This is one of my toro recyclers. I think you guys are more familiar with my stuff than I am

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Leaking into the air horn is most often caused by the float needle and seat not sealing properly.

juntjoo

Threads
Leaking into the air horn is most often caused by the float needle and seat not sealing properly.
How do you test it? I blew into them putting the needle in and out of the seat and appeared to work right obstructing air flow.

juntjoo

Threads
Just watched some vids on cleaning up these needle valves. I'll give em a good cleaning and try again

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Just watched some vids on cleaning up these needle valves. I'll give em a good cleaning and try again
People do return defective parts by going through the process and the seller usually works with you. Of all the aftermarket carburetors I have ordered over the years, I have had good luck overall. A Mightyvac pressure/vacuum gauge should hold about 7-10 psi on needle and seat before popping off. I usually simply test with my mouth after cleaning carburetor. Bear in mind we are primarily talking 4-stroke machines. The 2-stroke aftermarket carburetors are more hit and miss.