Repairs while mowing PTO just stopped

skgw1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any ideas guys. I ohmed switch, it appears to be good. No blown fuse. There is no juice to connector at clutch. What else can I look at. This is on a turf tiger. Has anyone else experienced this. tks

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Depending on the serial number and engine, there may be three fuses.
Does the engine crank over?
Does the engine start and run?
If the engine runs but no one is on the seat actuating the seat switch, then there will be no power to the PTO switch for the clutch.

skgw1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don't know of but 2 fuses, one for engine start and one for PTO, yes engine does start. It was running when PTO stopped. I have the seat sw cheated by jumper.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you don't have manuals for your machine, get the model and serial numbers of your machine and go to the Scag website and download the manuals for your specific machine by serial number. In the parts section are the wiring diagrams. I print the wiring diagrams and then blow them up on my printer so I can read them.
Remove the fuses or disconnect the battery and do continuity checks progressively on each section of the PTO electrical system from a good starting point to the clutch. PTO switches and their connectors are possible trouble spots. Any connector can be a trouble spot. Your clutch may be either a Warner or and Ogura make, their websites have clutch info. Scag has a control module incorporated into the electrical systems which replaced the relays that were used on older machines. The control module makes trouble shooting the electrical system more difficult than when relays were used and it is a big dollar item!:mad:
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

Last edited:

bfcg

Threads
In the 2 fuse system one fuse is for the charging system and the other is for everything else. That would mean that if your engine cranks then your PTO problem is not fuse related. Unplug the elec clutch and hook up OHM meter, 2.5 - 4.5 is good. Look for worn wires from rubbing belts especially if you have ever removed the zip tie.

skgw1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did a check I was told about to see if clt was good and it appears to be good. Went back to switch and hope I have found problem. I said I had ohmed sw, but not fully. It ohms out in off position, but there is nothing in on position. I hope this is going to be the problem. It's a lot less expensive than a clutch. It also sounds like this may be the problem for the guy above me.