Export thread

Which solenoid to replace?

M

Mick Oz

I have a fault with my solenoid, but when I search for it on line they do not look like mine. Can any one direct me to the right replacement?
Also does anyone know what the black block next to the solenoid is?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Mick

Attachments

M

Mick Oz

I meant to add, that I did search the part number visible in the picture. It is a specific wire made for Simplicity mowers.

M

Mick Oz

Couple of other pictures.

Attachments

I

ILENGINE

The black box is a self resetting circuit breaker. It is used on some mowers in place of a fuse.

I suspect the style of the solenoid has changed on your mower, and would be able to use say the stens part numbers 435-435, 435-103, or 435-099. the 435-099 is listed as a replacement for several Simplicity solenoid part numbers.

Avoid the 435-016 solenoid, because it looks very close to yours, the internal wiring is much different than the one you have I suspect.

BlazNT

BlazNT

I have a fault with my solenoid, but when I search for it on line they do not look like mine. Can any one direct me to the right replacement?
Also does anyone know what the black block next to the solenoid is?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Mick

How are we supoed to know what you need if you do not tell us what you have?

M

Mick Oz

How are we supoed to know what you need if you do not tell us what you have?

Thats my problem, i can not see a part number any where other than on one piece of the wiring harness. Im hoping that ILENGINE has recognised the unusual shape of the solenoid.
It appears to be a 4 pole unit, just a style I have not seen before.

I

ILENGINE

Mick, what Blaz is looking for is the model number of the mower so we can see what you have. I recognized the 4 post solenoid, but when I cross the part number of the wire and were it is used, all the models come back to a 3 wire solenoid.

that style of solenoid use to be very common but I can't find that exact one available now. It was not to many years ago. And the solenoid I told you to avoid only needs three post to work. The 4th post is to supply power to a battery ignition system while cranking.

M

Mick Oz

SORRY BlazNT, i misunderstood.
My mower is marked as a Viking MT830. I have been told at various times that it was made by Stihl, then made for Stihl by Murray and by Simplicity, since the Simplicity label was on that part of the wiring harness, I took a shot in the dark.
It has the Briggs Intek 17hp motor

Attachments

M

Mick Oz

I believe this is how it looked when the last owner bought it.

Attachments

BlazNT

BlazNT

That solenoid looks like it comes off an old ford truck.
This is the correct part number 6152 430 3100

M

Mick Oz

I have been able to order Stens part number 435-103 and I will clean up the key switch or replace it also. Once the part arrives I will post how it turns out.
Thank you

M

Mick Oz

Switch before and after, however it is still sloppy inside from years of being started with a screw driver.
Do you know of a cheap replacement for the switch assembly?

Attachments

M

Mick Oz

Thank you BlazNT, i have emailed them and asked if they supply to Australia.

M

Mick Oz

Unfortunately JThomasparts dont supply to OZ.
Can anyone tell me what each of the wiring connectins are, that way I may beable to fit an alternate ignition switch.

BlazNT

BlazNT

M

Mick Oz

Thank you BlazNT, that one in the link looks very different, seems to have 7 connections. Not trying to be difficult, I am just overly cautious with electrics as I know just enough to know how littel I understand.

Attachments

BlazNT

BlazNT

That is not the correct one if it has 7 poles. I can barely get around on your Australian sites so here is the part number so you can see if you can find one. 6152 430 2400

B

bertsmobile1

https://www.gaspares.com.au
Search engine is reasonably good try using ignition switch / starter switch. or just plain switch.
Most switches will be marked underneath
B = battery
S = Starter
G = Earth
M = magneto
A = Alternator
L = lights
There are only 4 mower switch makers and only about 8 switch variations.
The K & T web site you have been sent to before has the Briggs alternator replacement PDF on it and in the end of that is the basic wiring diagrams for almost every mower.

M

Mick Oz

That is not the correct one if it has 7 poles. I can barely get around on your Australian sites so here is the part number so you can see if you can find one. 6152 430 2400

Thankyou BlazNT, i do appreciate it. I will be able to find one in Oz or china using that part number.

M

Mick Oz

https://www.gaspares.com.au
Search engine is reasonably good try using ignition switch / starter switch. or just plain switch.
Most switches will be marked underneath
B = battery
S = Starter
G = Earth
M = magneto
A = Alternator
L = lights
There are only 4 mower switch makers and only about 8 switch variations.
The K & T web site you have been sent to before has the Briggs alternator replacement PDF on it and in the end of that is the basic wiring diagrams for almost every mower.
Thanks mate, my eyes are not good enough to pick out any markings on the base of my switch, so i will give it a rub with some graphite and see what shows up.
Otherwise i will after 40 years of playing with engines i will finally have learn a bit about electronics.
I will report back with a result

M

Mick Oz

The markings were not on the surface of the switch they were stamped into the surface of each connecting tab.

Attachments

M

Mick Oz

I have MSBGL.
Do you have any suggestions what the unmarked 6th connector would be? The original wiring has a 5 pin block connector and they are the ones marked.
Also a single pin connector with no marks.

I

ILENGINE

Not all the time but most of the time that outside terminal is the switch ground. It is grounded to the housing of the switch. Used in cases where the switch is mounted on a plastic dash, and without it the kill circuit doesn't work. but in some cases could be used as an power source for like lights, or the fuel shutoff solenoid

M

Mick Oz

Thanks ILEngine, that makes sense.

B

bertsmobile1

Also it was common to run the return feed from the alternator through the ignition switch.
Some times they put a direct short to the alternator to make the engine stop faster.
Some mowers use AC lighting and have a terminal that connects to ground to make the light circuit.
Now if you go to the Gripskie web site you will see that all the switches have their terminals marked.
So all you need to do is find a 5 blade with the same layout.
If not the female terminals in the switch can be removed by inserting a ground down feeler gauge in there and giving them a sharp tug

M

Mick Oz

Ok Bert , once my replacement solenoid and switch arrive I will report back. No doubt asking a lot more questions

M

Mick Oz

Just an update, i have fitted the replacement solenoid as you know and now that I have the replacement key switch it is in place as well.
Thankyou all, the mower is starting and running very well once more, even with a propper key.