Whats your opinion please

gpeade

Threads
Exwife has a late 80's model 260 mower with a Kawasaki FC400V series engine. She told me the other day that something was wrong with it and she fired it up for me to listen to. Well it turns out the throttle shaft in the carb broke so it wanted to run WOT. Well I have the parts and removed the carb last night. Here is my delima. When the shaft broke the butterfly came off as well as the two tiny screws that hold it to the shaft. the butterfly was down against the valve in the intake but I got that out. The screws are no where to be found. I know the best thing is pull the head and see if they are in there. I really dont want to do this. This is where I want opinions. What are the chances the screws went out the exhaust and are gone as opposed to being in the cylinder waiting to eat either the piston or exhaust valve. What would you do?

slammed

Threads
Exwife has a late 80's model 260 mower with a Kawasaki FC400V series engine. She told me the other day that something was wrong with it and she fired it up for me to listen to. Well it turns out the throttle shaft in the carb broke so it wanted to run WOT. Well I have the parts and removed the carb last night. Here is my delima. When the shaft broke the butterfly came off as well as the two tiny screws that hold it to the shaft. the butterfly was down against the valve in the intake but I got that out. The screws are no where to be found. I know the best thing is pull the head and see if they are in there. I really dont want to do this. This is where I want opinions. What are the chances the screws went out the exhaust and are gone as opposed to being in the cylinder waiting to eat either the piston or exhaust valve. What would you do?

I would take it apart to fix it right.

gpeade

Threads
Any idea where I can download a service manual? Everyone I try online seems to have an issue and it wont download.
Better than that anyone know the torque specs for the head? Thats all I need from the manual.

gpeade

Threads
Thanks for the quick info:thumbsup:

gpeade

Threads
OK since you offered :biggrin:

JUst went and bought a head gasket. ( I happen to have a parts dealer just up the street) Does anyone know if this head gasket installs dry or is sometype of sealant supposed to be used with it. Only reason I ask is this gasket if simply a piece of tin with a crimp around the cylinder and valve openings. Never actually seen one like this before.

Kenneth

Threads
Used to race motorcycles. Seen lots of these gaskets. They all go on just like they are. No sealers of any kind. I'd be really surprised if yours was any different. Hope you have a torque wrench that reads in inch pounds. You re-assemble that thing. Don't do what I did once. I got the bright idea to lube the threads on the head bolts. Broke one off in the head. I found out the hard way that thread lube changes the torque value. But youll probly be alright. You have access to lots of smart lawnmower mechanics in here. Somebody can tell you all bout it.Good luck! :2cents: