Export thread

What type of MTD do I have

L

Lister

I have this MTD lawn mower, it is a transmatic. The ID plate is gone and I have no idee what type and year it is.
I need a set of belts for it but do not know the right numbers.
Who can help me :unsure:

regards Lister

Attachments

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I assume you looked under the seat for the model sticker?

I

ILENGINE

Post the model numbers from the engine. I will help narrow down the year of the mower. and in some cases MTD listed the engine info on the mower model number lookup on the dealer site.

L

Lister

I assume you looked under the seat for the model sticker?
Yes I have looked under the seat but ...nothing

L

Lister

Post the model numbers from the engine. I will help narrow down the year of the mower. and in some cases MTD listed the engine info on the mower model number lookup on the dealer site.
Where do I need to look for the numer on the engine?

L

Lister

I forgot to mention that I found a number on the rear axle, it is 717 761. Does that help?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

on I/C engines, they is usually a tag Riveted to the blower housing near the spark plug, or a corner of the housing on top.

upupandaway

upupandaway

on I/C engines, they is usually a tag Riveted to the blower housing near the spark plug, or a corner of the housing on top.
Maybe for the newer models Scrub. On my 12I/C which is likely from the ballpart as posted, the info is stamped into the cover just above the spark plug.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Maybe for the newer models Scrub. On my 12I/C which is likely from the same time as posted, the info is stamped into the cover just above the spark plug.
One now has a riveted tag from 1998.

upupandaway

upupandaway

One now has a riveted tag from 1998.
R u saying they started riviting model\SN plates since 98?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

R u saying they started riviting model\SN plates since 98?
Nope. just saying alot of the I/C engines i've seen from the lat 90's or early 00's have the model info riveted on with tag.

StarTech

StarTech

Mower looks to be a 300 or 500 series from the late 80's.

As the Briggs id tags I kinda wish they stick to the engraving method.. At least it is usually not lost as the metal tags and label are, But as with all methods there will be time they are not readable due to damage.

L

Lister

Where do I need to look for the numer on the engine?
HI I found the numbers on the engine : model 281707, type 0137 01, code 89022331

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

The first two digits, 89, denote the year of manufacture. In this case it is 1989

The next two digits (02) are the month of the year, which is February
The following two digits (23) are the day of the month. In this case the 23rd
The final two digits designate the plant and assembly line. 31.

StarTech

StarTech

Well that narrow to a 1000+ models. Brand of the MTD would narrow this some more.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/manufacturer/mtd