Export thread

What is Causing Raptor 54" Uneven Cut

83ragtop50

My raptor cuts unevenly in taller grass. The pattern makes it appear to be the center blade which is not cutting well. Looks sort of like a Mohawk haircut.

S

shiftsuper175607

My raptor cuts unevenly in taller grass. The pattern makes it appear to be the center blade which is not cutting well. Looks sort of like a Mohawk haircut.

That blade is damaged or
upside down or
bad spindle/pulley and not turning as well under heavy load

these come to my mind

K

kraky

This sounds like something that could happen if the deck was canted up at the front?
Make sure the deck is level and then climb underneath there and make sure when the blades pass each other the tips line up almost perfectly...

T

turboawd

I get the same thing when cutting like 1 foot tall grass and i go to fast.
What blades are you using?

Carscw

Carscw

Most low grade mowers will cut like this in tall/thick grass.
The reason is because the grass from the left blade is clogging up the center blade.
Make sure you are cutting at full throttle at all times.

T

turboawd

Most low grade mowers will cut like this in tall/thick grass.
The reason is because the grass from the left blade is clogging up the center blade.
Make sure you are cutting at full throttle at all times.

And what is different on the high grade mowers that prevents this?

577jersey

And what is different on the high grade mowers that prevents this?
Got me,Ive seen Scag Cheetahs do the same thing,,the bottom of the deck looks pretty much the same to me from my Bobcat to my RSD..actually the SD looks better other than its a little thinner and the chute opening is restricted.

I understand the left side is throwing all its grass clippings into the center as well,,so that is a problem on any mower if the grass is tall,thick and wet enough.

In my findings of cutting for the past 30 years,,you need to double and or triple cut anything taller than 1ft...especially if you are going fast and want it to look nice when done.Remember the 1/3rd rule right guys and slow down...lol

M

Mad Mackie

Over the years I have had to explain to some folks that there is a difference between lawn mowers and hay cutting machines!

Carscw

Carscw

Got me,Ive seen Scag Cheetahs do the same thing,,the bottom of the deck looks pretty much the same to me from my Bobcat to my RSD..actually the SD looks better other than its a little thinner and the chute opening is restricted. I understand the left side is throwing all its grass clippings into the center as well,,so that is a problem on any mower if the grass is tall,thick and wet enough. In my findings of cutting for the past 30 years,,you need to double and or triple cut anything taller than 1ft...especially if you are going fast and want it to look nice when done.Remember the 1/3rd rule right guys and slow down...lol

There are a few things that are different.
The speed of the blades.
The power going to the blades. Not just hp but pulley set up and size.
How fast and how much grass can exit the deck.

How you set level the deck.

My timecutter that is $1000 less then the SD can cut foot tall grass clean one pass.
It mostly comes down to how much you know about mowers and how to set them up.

The thing with the SD is people see the deck and say wow that looks just like the deck on a $10.000 mower. Ha ha it is not even close.
This group as well as others is full of post about the bad cut of the sd.

577jersey

My SD cuts great,,only issue is the discharge opening leaves windrows in taller wet grass,,it leaves a scraggler here and there but only when the blades are getting beat,,just like any other mower I had,,and i had the best of the best....the tip speed is good..maybe people are having problems with the wide tires pushing grass down?

Carscw

Carscw

My SD cuts great,,only issue is the discharge opening leaves windrows in taller wet grass,,it leaves a scraggler here and there but only when the blades are getting beat,,just like any other mower I had,,and i had the best of the best....the tip speed is good..maybe people are having problems with the wide tires pushing grass down?

On decks with a anti scalp wheel in the front of the deck in the center also will lay the grass down.

577jersey

On decks with a anti scalp wheel in the front of the deck in the center also will lay the grass down.
I bet thats why I get those scragglers once in a while,,that anti scalp wheel..the deck still scalps,not really a true free floating deck on the RSD for sure.

K

kraky

In my book that's a pretty big stretch to say that single rounded wheel up front of the deck on RSD is pushing grass down. It's nowhere near the ground in most cases and barely below the lip of the deck and being round if anything maybe grass goes around it just a tiny bit. Certainly nothing like the front wheels pushing the grass to the ground.

T

turboawd

In my book that's a pretty big stretch to say that single rounded wheel up front of the deck on RSD is pushing grass down. It's nowhere near the ground in most cases and barely below the lip of the deck and being round if anything maybe grass goes around it just a tiny bit. Certainly nothing like the front wheels pushing the grass to the ground.

exactly what i think.

577jersey

Yeah thats true,,I was thinking about that last night in bed actually..lol..my anti scalp wheel is way above the ground and my deck is always at least 3" up so there is no way its the wheel unless the ground is always humped or uneven in the center which is not the case,I cut a 3 acre yesterday and didn’t notice any scragglers..it was all really nice grass no weeds.

Carscw

Carscw

The anti scalp wheels should touch the ground before the deck does.
So if the wheel is above the lip of the deck then it really does not do anything.
I forgot the SD only has a small round wheel.

K

kraky

When we sold a ton of Deere lawn tractors we told people to have their gauge wheels one quarter to one half inch off the ground at their favorite cutting height. Most of the Deere decks had a spring assist lift.....they lifted themselves really easy. As part of our sales pitch we would reach down with one finger and lift the deck up. If you run a gauge wheel on a zero-turn one-quarter inch off the ground you're going to really put some stress on there when you do those they tight tight turns. Big difference doing a turn on a lawn tractor vs. Spinning around on a zero-turn.... Zero Turn Mower gauge wheels are going sideways!

577jersey

I have my wheels in the lowest position,they are just below the deck,not sure by how much I will check,,the deck still scalps with them maybe they are too small.

K

kraky

I think most the zero turn manufacturers know what would happen to their wheels and brackets if they gave you the ability to put them close to the ground! It's kind of a catch-22 if they put a lift assist spring on that deck so it would float really easy at the speeds everybody goes at that deck would be bouncing up and down all the time....

K

kraky

Drifting from the subject a little bit but I think most homeowners would be better served by a tight turning lighter weight lawn and garden tractor with a deck that had the blade tip speed that most Zero Turns run at. The slightly slower speed of the lawn tractor would allow you to put a better floating deck on it and you could hug the ground Contours with your rollers. A three-point turn at the end of a straight away with a good Hydro lawn tractor is actually pretty quick.
But here's what I think the catch is...... manufacturers are scared to have high speed deck with wide-open discharge out there on the market for inexperienced homeowners in huge numbers...... there's too many lawyers out there when somebody gets hit by something flying out from under the deck.
I was told that deere had a special room at the Horicon facility. The engineers were told to make a great discharging deck but then they would hang it in the middle of that room and draw lines on the walls and inject Nails into it while it was running....
If any nails came out above a certain line in the room the engineers had to go back to work.... talk about a demanding job......lol!

RhettWS

RhettWS

What happened to the OP. Did he ever figure out what the issue was?

K

kraky

It's pretty obvious..... he was going too fast in Too Tall of grass with a low-grade mower deck with a middle-gauge wheel that was pushing the grass down and might have had the wrong blades on. He should sell his Hustler and get a mythical lawn tractor with high-speed blades and wide open discharge chute made by a manufacturer who has no regard for Consumer safety.
(OK.. I admit to being a major contributor of the Flim Flam).
Yes... time to hear if there was a REAL solution!

RhettWS

RhettWS

Too funny:laughing::laughing:

K

kraky

Ok we're gonna get rich.... we're going to get somebody to make us up a batch of these and have carscw tune us up some decks and install. We're going to need an Advisory Board ...a great location for a factory with tax incentives ...and some investors..... who's in?

https://youtu.be/qzVBpddpK2k

Carscw

Carscw

I would ride that.

Here is one of mine a couple years ago.

https://youtu.be/nHypacgdFf0

577jersey

Its gonna be a little tricky to match up the blade tip speed with wheel speed on that one...lol

B

BigRed150

image.jpg

I'm having the same problem with my alpha.

Any answers yet??

K

kraky

I've looked at that picture a couple of times and I can't see the problem. I do see some darn thick vegetation there. Whatever you're trying to fix I would probably start by running a higher lift blade and raising the front of the desk slightly and see what happens.

577jersey

Hard to tell but from the pic it looks to be cut a little on the short side also.

D

Dpmulvan

I have the same problem with my SD has never cut well since new havnt messed with it yet but not really happy with hustler.

jekjr

jekjr

Not necessarily true that it is a stretch in "tall" grass. The reason being that the wheel will lay the grass down and it will not stand back up quick enough for the blades to cut it off correctly. The grass is laying down therefore the mower passes over it rather than cutting it off.

jekjr

jekjr

We had similar problems with our Kubotas. We started running Scag Tiger Cat mowers and have very little of that problem now. We still have to keep sharp blades and match the groundspeed accordingly.

577jersey

Make sure the deck is level..just put 4 small 2x4 blocks under each corner and drop it down till it touches...Ive seen really thick crab grass not cut properly.
Mine has cut perfect since the day I bought it...90 hours ago..I check the deck once every two weeks using the 2x4 method.

I would not get the 60"..IMO its too big of a deck for the lift and hangers on this mower...the 48" would be perfect..I cut some huge 3 acre lots with a 48" for years...most versatile size deck in the industry.

This deck cuts just as good as any scag or exmark I ever had..no issues at all other than the opening being a little too small.

mhavanti

mhavanti

With all the rain Arkansas, Louisiana, East Texas and the lower center of the US. I mowed my yard yesterday at full deck lift. It was so full and overgrown after two weeks of rain I ran the mower at about 6 mph with the deflector in the up position and ate about 90 pounds of wet Bermuda. Between the mower and myself, we appeared to be wearing a Gilley suit. At WOT and depending upon the density of the grass, there were a few passes that left about a half inch higher stand from the middle blade. I slowed about a mph and the cut evened back out.

My mower is the RSD60 and thus far, I love the 60 inch deck other than walking around it. Takes a good half hour (sic) to make a single lap on foot. Ok, that may be a bit of a stretch, however, when building the new Garage Mahal, I only allowed 6 foot between the rear wall and an interior wall for a mower depository. I have to park it at a ninety degree angle to fit it into the parking space. Turns out, even a shorty doesn't fit by backing or pulling it directly in front or rear. So far, all the Z's I've had drop by to check out the Garage Mahal and have me diagnose their mower problems, none of them fit any better front to rear. Sideways, the narrower decks does leave a bit more room. However the 60 inch deck is nice due to the shorter time I have to sit in the saddle, the better.

Everyone in the neighborhood likes to compare minimum mowing time. So far, I hold the title with the slightly largest lot! {Two lots put together.} I think that comes from running WOT more than their inability to mow as fast. They just don't move their mowers at top speed. I'm also the next oldest in the neighborhood. All the others are from 10 to 25 years younger. Strange they are afraid to run their equipment at top speed.

I don't think there will be any problems with the lift mechanism on my SD. If so, I'll fix it. But, for all my neighbors, not likely they'll ever experience any problems with any of their mowers due to wear and the primary brand in my hood is Hustler. Most of those are the overpriced commercials that do the very same job as the RSD. They cut grass. My 1996 MTD All Wheel Steer does a beautiful job so I believe purchasing a more expensive mower is just a waste of money.

jekjr

jekjr

Got me,Ive seen Scag Cheetahs do the same thing,,the bottom of the deck looks pretty much the same to me from my Bobcat to my RSD..actually the SD looks better other than its a little thinner and the chute opening is restricted.

If you have a Scag Cheeta doing that you have blade problems or are running too fast. The Velocity Deck on a Scag will cut tall stemmed grass smoothly in one pass if it has sharp blades on it.

jekjr

jekjr

I said it some where in a post earlier that 99% of the deck leveling issues we see are because of tire pressure not being equal. Tire pressure contributes greatly to the problem of unloved cuts. On Zero turns many times a small differential in pressure from one side to the other will make a visible difference.

Many times people will have a tire slightly low and turn leveling devices and then it gets everything out of whack........

577jersey

With all the rain Arkansas, Louisiana, East Texas and the lower center of the US. I mowed my yard yesterday at full deck lift. It was so full and overgrown after two weeks of rain I ran the mower at about 6 mph with the deflector in the up position and ate about 90 pounds of wet Bermuda. Between the mower and myself, we appeared to be wearing a Gilley suit. At WOT and depending upon the density of the grass, there were a few passes that left about a half inch higher stand from the middle blade. I slowed about a mph and the cut evened back out.

My mower is the RSD60 and thus far, I love the 60 inch deck other than walking around it. Takes a good half hour (sic) to make a single lap on foot. Ok, that may be a bit of a stretch, however, when building the new Garage Mahal, I only allowed 6 foot between the rear wall and an interior wall for a mower depository. I have to park it at a ninety degree angle to fit it into the parking space. Turns out, even a shorty doesn't fit by backing or pulling it directly in front or rear. So far, all the Z's I've had drop by to check out the Garage Mahal and have me diagnose their mower problems, none of them fit any better front to rear. Sideways, the narrower decks does leave a bit more room. However the 60 inch deck is nice due to the shorter time I have to sit in the saddle, the better.

Everyone in the neighborhood likes to compare minimum mowing time. So far, I hold the title with the slightly largest lot! {Two lots put together.} I think that comes from running WOT more than their inability to mow as fast. They just don't move their mowers at top speed. I'm also the next oldest in the neighborhood. All the others are from 10 to 25 years younger. Strange they are afraid to run their equipment at top speed.

I don't think there will be any problems with the lift mechanism on my SD. If so, I'll fix it. But, for all my neighbors, not likely they'll ever experience any problems with any of their mowers due to wear and the primary brand in my hood is Hustler. Most of those are the overpriced commercials that do the very same job as the RSD. They cut grass. My 1996 MTD All Wheel Steer does a beautiful job so I believe purchasing a more expensive mower is just a waste of money.
I hear that buddy,,
Sometimes you have to adjust your ground speed to the grass your cutting,,this RSD deck has more suction and throws grass farther then both my ferris and bobcat..I cut the little triangle piece out by the opening and it didn’t do much at all,,in order for the opening to really not throw a wind row you will have to cut it all the way back to the first angle...the little bar on the bottom can stay,,I have been watching it for the past week really close and that bar has little to do with the grass being restricted,,its mainly there cause the deck is cut back and the blade is completely exposed without it.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Jek,

Funny you mentioned the air pressure as since I've owned my RSD, the front left tire has had a slow leak and will be flat by the next mowing. Thus, it is aired up to 12 pounds and since I'm there with the gauge, hose and compressor on, I always check the tires on all four corners of the RSD, the old '96 All Wheel Steer Rider, the mower trailer and anything else I can find with pneumatic tires before I put the hose, gauge, compressor, etc.

I ran the RSD at 11 pounds in the super wet grass this time although I wasn't looking for more traction as 1 pound wouldn't have made any difference in traction in snot slick grass on a hillside. Thought I'd check for a smoother ride. Nah, maybe ten pounds next mow.

And, to be honest, most folks with a crop circle problem will usually find a corner or a side down in pressure relative to the highest pressure point.

All the newbies should always check tire pressures before making any other equipment changes.

Max

Carscw

Carscw

I run 15psi in my front tires and 12psi in the back. Gives the best cut on hills.
The last thing I think of when setting up a mower is a smooth ride.

mhavanti

mhavanti

lol, noted.

D

DK35vince

I run 15psi in my front tires and 12psi in the back. Gives the best cut on hills.
The last thing I think of when setting up a mower is a smooth ride.
I look for a happy medium.
I run 8 PSI in my tires (front and rear) for a better ride and still get a decent cut

577jersey

I’ve ran my RSD fronts as low as 6 psi and the rear around 8,,rides and cuts perfect..still scalps here and there if your not quick with the foot pedal action..any more than 8psi i would think is too high on this mower,,now on my bobcat 48 I need the fronts pretty hard or it bounces and leaves a wierd cut...the ride on that machine is horrible compared to the RSD...I say run them tires down low enough to just see a small belly on the side wall if you run alot of hills.

Carscw

Carscw

I’ve ran my RSD fronts as low as 6 psi and the rear around 8,,rides and cuts perfect..still scalps here and there if your not quick with the foot pedal action..any more than 8psi i would think is too high on this mower,,now on my bobcat 48 I need the fronts pretty hard or it bounces and leaves a wierd cut...the ride on that machine is horrible compared to the RSD...I say run them tires down low enough to just see a small belly on the side wall if you run alot of hills.

The problem with running psi that low. Is you get a uneven cut on hills. I am not talking a small slope. Second the tires rip the grass on the hills.

If the front tire on the up side of the hill is not off the ground then you are just on a small slope.

I get a lot of my jobs from other lawn care guys. That can not or will not mow a hill.
Kinda have a reputation for cutting hills.
If I think a hill is to steep I use my riding mower. If it's a big hill I use the toro grounds master 72 inch.

577jersey

The problem with running psi that low. Is you get a uneven cut on hills. I am not talking a small slope. Second the tires rip the grass on the hills.

If the front tire on the up side of the hill is not off the ground then you are just on a small slope.

I get a lot of my jobs from other lawn care guys. That can not or will not mow a hill.
Kinda have a reputation for cutting hills.
If I think a hill is to steep I use my riding mower. If it's a big hill I use the toro grounds master 72 inch.
Yeah,I can cut the steepest of hills with my belt walk behind,,amazing where that mower will go...pretty much anywhere a push 22" will go except tight spots.My RSD will slide down off the slope before leaving an uneven cut,,it holds close to a 40 degree slope but thats about it,,and the terrain has to be straight,if the low side is going down hill at all most of the time it will loose traction on the high side and I have to ride down the bank and come at it from the other side.

Carscw

Carscw

Yeah,I can cut the steepest of hills with my belt walk behind,,amazing where that mower will go...pretty much anywhere a push 22" will go except tight spots.My RSD will slide down off the slope before leaving an uneven cut,,it holds close to a 40 degree slope but thats about it,,and the terrain has to be straight,if the low side is going down hill at all most of the time it will loose traction on the high side and I have to ride down the bank and come at it from the other side.

That's the hardest hills to cut.

Best thing I have for hills is the grounds master. Four wheel drive with rear wheel steer. Best riding mower is a snapper rear engine 42 inch deck.

577jersey

That's the hardest hills to cut.

Best thing I have for hills is the grounds master. Four wheel drive with rear wheel steer. Best riding mower is a snapper rear engine 42 inch deck.
I was watching a guy run a 4x4 mower with a bagger,,wish I Had that kind of $$ to spend on a mower....I bet those Walkers are pretty good on hills,,they look like they would be too.

Hills that are shaped like a sphere are the toughest for me to cut,,but we manage....