Weird FJ800v no-start condition.

ZachB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, so if this topic has been covered elsewhere please let me know and I'd be happy to go there. As it stands, I've done about all the reading and researching that I think I can and this damned thing just won't start. Here's some background.
The mower worked flawlessly last summer, ran it dry before storing for the winter, kept in a dry garage, etc.
This summer, filled with new gas, and it fired right up. So, everything is strong-running and hunky-dory at this point.
I hit a metal obstruction at the very last bit of mowing my lawn, the motor immediately died.
After that, it would turn over and run for a second, then die.
I was able to get it running by spraying gas mixture into the intake. Got it running just fine.
A couple of weeks later mowed the lawn again and it started right up. I ran it for about 15 minutes then shut it off to move to another part of the yard.
After that, it absolutely refused to start, or even turn over.

Suspecting the carb, I removed the bowl but everything looked very clean and normal. So I removed the carb entirely, cleaned the heck out of it, and replaced with new gaskets.
That made no difference so I thought I should check the flywheel key. Surprisingly (and to my disappointment) it was fine. Slightly scored, but not bent or sheared.
I drained the fuel tank and pulled the fuel filter and that looked clean as well.
I replaced the spark plug, even though the original plug looked great and showed no signs of oil/carbon buildup, corrosion etc.
So now I'm grasping at straws. I disconnected the kill switch lead and checked for a spark. I didn't have a helper though, so I honestly couldn't tell if I was getting a spark or not.
I found an ignition coil that I knew was good and put that on yesterday, still dead as a mackerel.

When I try starting it, it really behaves as if the spark plug is not connected. There is NO sign of life. After a half-dozen pulls I get some smoke coming from the muffler.

Is there any chance that I could have gotten the fuel mixture or throttle lever arm out of whack when I removed the carb? It seems like, if that were the case, it'd run rough or rich or lean, but it would at least turn over, right?

All things considered, I still feel like it is electrical so I'm going to check for spark when I can find a helper. Other than that, am I missing something? It's driving me nuts, as you can probably imagine....

THanks in advance.

gregjo1948

Threads
Sounds like a safety switch or ignition or kill switch problem. gregjo1948

ZachB

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's what I was wondering about too. But, if that were the case, wouldn't disconnecting the kill switch lead from the coil allow it to start?

gregjo1948

Threads
That's what I was wondering about too. But, if that were the case, wouldn't disconnecting the kill switch lead from the coil allow it to start?

Is that the only switch on it? It could possably be the wire coming from the coil is shorted. clamp the spark plug to a good ground or run a ground wire from the plug to a good ground to be sure you don't have spark. If you have no spark, how can you have smoke coming from the exhaust? gregjo1948

ZachB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is that the only switch on it? It could possably be the wire coming from the coil is shorted. clamp the spark plug to a good ground or run a ground wire from the plug to a good ground to be sure you don't have spark. If you have no spark, how can you have smoke coming from the exhaust? gregjo1948

I appreciate your help. This is all new stuff to me. I've never worked on small engines before so it's a learning experience and I'm coming from no prior knowledge with this kind of thing. But I am big into research and solving things so, to my wife's frustration, I'm pretty hell-bent on getting this thing fixed. I'll do some more work on checking on the spark and take it from there. Couple of quick questions first:
- does smoke from the muffler suggest that there's a spark?
- when my buddy was holding the spark plug while I was pulling the recoil starter, he got shocked at one point - I assume that means it's getting a spark for that reason as well?

Again, thanks for your input.

gregjo1948

Threads
I appreciate your help. This is all new stuff to me. I've never worked on small engines before so it's a learning experience and I'm coming from no prior knowledge with this kind of thing. But I am big into research and solving things so, to my wife's frustration, I'm pretty hell-bent on getting this thing fixed. I'll do some more work on checking on the spark and take it from there. Couple of quick questions first:
- does smoke from the muffler suggest that there's a spark?
- when my buddy was holding the spark plug while I was pulling the recoil starter, he got shocked at one point - I assume that means it's getting a spark for that reason as well?

Again, thanks for your input.

I don't think you can will get smoke out of the exhaust if you don't have some kind of fire. If your buddy got a shock, of coase, there's spark. Hold the plug firmly onto metal on the engine. You will not get shocked if you hold it where the hexagon flat spots are that is where a wrench or socket would go. The plug gap should be .030". You didn't say if the plug was wet and smelling of raw gas when you took it out. Give it full choke, crank it several times, pull the plug and check. If you have spark and fuel it should run. When you have the plug out, stick a screwdriver or pencil or a dowel etc. into the plug hole as far as it will go, keeping slight pressure on it as you slowly crank the engine. That will let you know the piston is going up/down or in/out and that you haven't broken the connecting rod when you hit something with the mower blade. gregjo1948

ZachB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ah, OK. I'll check and let you know what I find out. Thanks again!