Export thread

Weeds, Weeds, Weeds

RockHound

RockHound

How do you start to conquer weeds when weeds are all you have? If I were to spray weed killer on my lawn, I'd not have anything to mow. Between the dandelion, crab grass, dogbane, violets and other weeds that make up my lawn, I hav very little grass. But it has to be mowed too I guess.:smile:

B

BlueGrass

I hear you about the dandelions. I seem to have more this year than last year. I've tried pulling, and spraying them out and I've even tried a couple strange ideas from the internet, like spraying weeds with vinegar. My yard is looking more like a jungle than a yard.

Attachments

C

canoeks

the first step is to get the soil in shape, have you taken a soil sample? most weeds tolerate a poorer soil than "good" grasses.

Attachments

B

berniebenz

Weeds and unwanted grasses are easy to control when young, several inches tall max. in lawns or fields. I spot spray, 24D for weeds and Roundup for grasses, using a comfortable and efficient diaphragm type Solo back pack sprayer with a long wand.
For taller growth mow first. Roundup is 4X the cost of 24D. so spray accordingly. Just keep on top of it.

Attachments

44carbine

I would kill all the weeds and start over. I just redid my yard after hogs destroyed it during the winter. I applied roundup and killed everything. Took the tractor and disk and leveled out the yard and reseeded with Bermuda grass. Been watering everyday and its just starting to come up.

W

wesk

If weeds make up most of your yard it might be better to just kill everything with glyphosate and start a new yard. Weeds will get choked out by thick grass in an established yard. Good Luck.

reddragon

reddragon

dandelions are edible ..use in salads etc....also you can make tea from it....just make sure its real dandelion..false dandelion or "cats ear" will have hairs on the leaves

Briana

Briana

I moved your thread to the Lawn Care & Landscaping Forum. :smile:

M

mullins87

How do you start to conquer weeds when weeds are all you have? If I were to spray weed killer on my lawn, I'd not have anything to mow. Between the dandelion, crab grass, dogbane, violets and other weeds that make up my lawn, I hav very little grass. But it has to be mowed too I guess.:smile:

Well, if you don't want to kill the whole yard, or kill and reseed in sections, then the only thing I can think of is to overseed with the type of grasses you want. Weeds don't like to be cut short, so keep your lawn mowed. Once the grasses get a foothold, they will eventually choke the weeds out.

gtbobcat

gtbobcat

dandelions are edible ..use in salads etc....also you can make tea from it....

I suppose thats where the vinegar came in..lol...I mixed my pickling vinegar with pickling salt and a drop of soap.per liter (quart)..only works on young weeds and needs re-aplications.. sry cant be of much help...and if anyone is thinking of trying vinegar...I think over 10% (acetic acid) needs eye protection after 15% needs a hazmat suit.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I have no problem with most weeds, what I hate is QUACKGRASS. The attachment shows planters that had bare new soil less than 5 weeks ago, the field across the road is 4 foot high quackgrass and because of the wind anything that has bare soil is quickly covered with quackgrass sprouts. Planters, flowerbeds, garden plot, EVERYTHING. Spray with expensive weedkiller, then a week later the fricking quackgrass starts sprouting again. ARRRRGGGHHHH. :frown::frown:

Attachments