Export thread

weedeater

D

Debora Fulce

I need a good lightweight weedeater. I love to weedeat but cannot hold up a heavy weedeater even with the shoulder harness. I want a gas powered weedeater.
thank you
I do own a riding lawnmower (sears) and a self propelled lawn mower (briggs stratton) and a weedeater(troy-bilt 4 cycle)

L

LandN

I need a good lightweight weedeater. I love to weedeat but cannot hold up a heavy weedeater even with the shoulder harness. I want a gas powered weedeater.
thank you
I do own a riding lawnmower (sears) and a self propelled lawn mower (briggs stratton) and a weedeater(troy-bilt 4 cycle)

The brand"weedeater" makes a 'featherlite' model that is pretty light weight but it is a entry level inexpensive unit therefore you may not get several years use from it,i have had several of them with about a years worth of time ....but i was rough with them. 2 cycle string trimmers are generally lighter weight than 4 cycle trimmers. or you can opt for a battery powered unit (check the run time) or a corded trimmer which are lighter weight than gas models..its best to shop around and feel the difference in all the trimmers at the hardware stores or the dealers and pick the one that best suits your ability to handle the trimmer

Briana

Briana

Hey there - WELCOME to LMF! :smile:

I moved your thread to the Lawn Care & Landscaping Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

GroundEffectsLawnSvc

GroundEffectsLawnSvc

Checkout Echo. More durable than the brands your referring to. Not too expensive either.

Sent from my Droid using LMF

B

benski

+1 for the Echo line of trimmers. Their smaller , curved shaft units don't weigh a lot (at least by comparison) and they are built quite well.:thumbsup:

Archie06930

Archie06930

The brand"weedeater" makes a 'featherlite' model that is pretty light weight but it is a entry level inexpensive unit therefore you may not get several years use from it,i have had several of them with about a years worth of time ....but i was rough with them. 2 cycle string trimmers are generally lighter weight than 4 cycle trimmers. or you can opt for a battery powered unit (check the run time) or a corded trimmer which are lighter weight than gas models..its best to shop around and feel the difference in all the trimmers at the hardware stores or the dealers and pick the one that best suits your ability to handle the trimmer

Speaking of Featherlites, I used to own one, before they changed the head to a two-string arrangement and screwed it up, it was a great weedeater. Wish I had it back (shaft broke in half one day and I gave it away as "junk". Wish I would have fixed it and not spent a couple hundred plus bucks on this heavy Craftsman piece of junk that has been nothing but hard on me and now a pain to fix. If you can locate the old style single line head go for it, by far the best weedeater I have ever owned. Light, trims with .060" line and has just the right amount of power for weedeating grass and light weeds around posts, fences and trees. This heavy Craftsman POS wears you out by the time you're done with the front yard, by the time you're actually finished weedeating, you need a back massage! Good luck finding a weedeater that works well for you.

Parkmower

Parkmower

I have one of the single string featherlights he's referring to. It's easily over 15 yr old and still goin. My mom bought it years ago when I was a teenager and mowed the lawn. After I bought my own place she told me to take it.
I've cleaned the carb for the first time few years ago and had to replace the rotten fuel lines. But other than that it's great. Plenty of power for around the house. I weedwhack for about 20 min every other week.

G

goodolboydws

Here's another yes vote for Weed Eater's Featherlite series-especially if weight is the primary concern for you. It's easy on the wallet too.... (Weed eater also makes Poulon, Poulon Pro, etc.)

I've been using my wife's 12-15? year old curved shaft 18cc Featherlite (about 7-8#) for most of a season now, (previously replaced the fuel lines with the new type, longer lasting hose) and it's a great little machine within it's limits. For it's engine size the cutting power is initially hard to believe, of course, it's spinning only ONE cutting line with the associated lower wind resistance to overcome. On the other hand, all the available power and impact of cutting is directed to that one line so it does tend to break more often under the same cutting conditions as a twin-liner-it's doing twice the work. It cuts a bit slower than a twin line when in tougher stuff than my larger displacement trimmer would with the same line, BUT OTHERWISE much of the time it cuts as fast as I'd be moving with the larger machine. She had the plastic Grass Gator type head with blades on it but I put the original head back on to use with string. It started out with a SINGLE .065 line originally, but I bumped that up incrementally through a couple of sizes by simply drilling out the spool's line hole and very slightly enlarging the aluminum grommet hole and have been running the red triangular type .105 line exclusively for the last few months (most of our trimming isn't grass, but much tougher, often woodier stemmed and other line snapping stuff including Kudzu and honeysuckle-when doing grass the line seldom breaks) the line doesn't seem to be lowering the top speed much due to increased wind resistance (or at least not from a cutting efftiveness standpoint).

It runs about 1.25-1.5 hours per tank for me while cutting our taller stuff mostly along fence lines, embankments and creekbanks, and that means running most all the time at above half throttle-and most often 2 or 3 sessions per day for the few days each month that's necessary to keep up with the closer areas of our acreage nearer to the house and closest barn. The vibration level is fairly low too-but I do wear vibration damping gloves on most days mainly due to the run times.

My main gripe about this little machine is that it's shaft is so short compared to my Homelite straight shaft, so it would probably be harder than necessary on your back for anyone over say 5'6" tall and/ or who needs to do creek banks or slopes, which mean lots of leaning over time to reach further due to it's shorter boom length. In tighter areas it's more user friendly than any straight shaft I've ever used and I always preferred using a straight shaft before this. I have to say that even though it takes a much shorter sweep, the lower weight and increased maueuverability make a big difference when doing long sessions in tight quarters or when doing narrow strips.

A second gripe is that even though the plug stays fairly clean and I regap as necessary, I've had to decarbon the exhaust port twice now, once after probably more 50 hours of my running time, using various 2-stroke oils and a second time as the power began to drop, but this time I didn't wait as long. Because there's still a little oil drippage coming off after shut down, I'm gradually leaning out the mix from it's factory recommended 40:1. Hopefully running a slightly leaner mix will extend the decarboning intervals considerably. One drawback from many newer lawn and garden machines is that their carbs cannot be adjusted for anything other than idle speed. On this one teh carb still has an adjustment for high and low speed leanness, but for our elevation it's as lean as I can get it at high speed without negatively affecting it's effectiveness.

I noticed at a recent trip to WalMart that Weed Eater has 2 curved shaft versions now, this one (about $65), and one of those has a slightly larger engine (I think)-and that one's shaft is about 8" longer than this one (about $80 + tax). They also have 2 straight shaft versions with larger engines and 2 string heads, I think that the bigger/heavier one has a split boom for swapping attachments). I looked at Weed Eater's site and the Poulon and Poulon Pro lines ther have some very similar models plus additional more expensive heavier duty rated ones. If/when this one conks out the longer curved shaft version is probably what I'd choose as an inexpensive replacement for her, even though it's a little bit heavier than this one (she has back problems too). (She recently bought a corded one from B&D to use by the house-and that one is almost identical in weight to this one-plus the boom is shorter. It may be going back.

(My straight shaft 31cc Homelite ate it's rod bearing, and the fix is to replace the entire rod/piston/bearing assembly plus the various gaskets , etc. involved in doing that. Also, the carb had been acting up before then, so I didn't immediately opt for $60-$80 worth of parts to fix that crank problem which may or may not result in a decently running trimmer without reworking/replacing the carb. I'd been looking at Husqvarna and Stihl as replacements, but after working with this little Weed Eater this last year...........I 'm not as inclined as before to move upmarket.)

P

Phototone

A significant "issue" with the smallest featherlite trimmers is vibration. After a weed trimming session I find my arm is a bit wobbly from the vibration. Larger models with more mass seem to reduce the vibration. Also 2-string heads are more balanced.

G

gainestruk

I vote for the Weedeater Featherlite, I bought mine in 2001 and it's still going strong :thumbsup:

I

ILENGINE

The original featherlite were decent trimmers for the money. As time went on, the quality dropped, It then because on of two things they would last 20 years or 20 minutes. Proper carb tuning was the secret behind the longevity. The new trimmers on the market on set too lean and I see a lot get destroyed because of it.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

SRM-225, STIHL FS56 or FS70.

D

deminin

For a lightweight bullet proof trimmer.....Stihl FS45, with curved shaft.

Ric

Ric

For a lightweight bullet proof trimmer.....Stihl FS45, with curved shaft.

Not sure but I don't believe the FS 45 is available anymore at least there not shown on the Stihl Site. The FS 38 is 129.95 and weighs 9.3 lbs without the cutting attachment/ deflector. It has the 27.2 cc engine. The FS 40c-e is 169.95 it's 9.9 lbs also with the 27.2 cc engine.

D

deminin

Not sure but I don't believe the FS 45 is available anymore at least there not shown on the Stihl Site. The FS 38 is 129.95 and weighs 9.3 lbs without the cutting attachment/ deflector. It has the 27.2 cc engine. The FS 40c-e is 169.95 it's 9.9 lbs also with the 27.2 cc engine.

Yes, that could be...my trusty FS45 is over 12 years old, and all I've had to do to it is the normal filters/spark plug stuff. We live in the deep forest, and I keep about 1.5 acres mowed....and with dozens of trees, it takes me 2 or 3 hours to trim around everything. I have a couple of big old reconditioned McColluch straight shafts...fr56...that I use along the roadside ditch, and for cutting the heavy brush when I am chainsawing in the forest...but for yard use, I reach for the small Stihl. Stihl may cost a bit more initially, but that brand seems to outlast the others by a wide margin...making Stihl the most economical brand in the long run...IMO.

J

joester

I vote for the Weedeater Featherlite, I bought mine in 2001 and it's still going strong :thumbsup:
Maybe we got ours from the same batch (same year I bought mine).
No more than a couple pulls if it's sat a while, and I bored the string hole to accept a larger diameter string.

T

tipazann

After many years of buying and fixing Ryobi trimmers, I made an impulsive buy at Lowe's and got a Husquarvarna last summer. I typically do research before making such a purchase, but didn't on this unit. I had a great experience with one of their chainsaws, and bought it purely on the name. I have not been happy with it...
I'll spare the details, but it's not starting and I've done all the usual stuff (clean intake filter, exhaust, clean / new spark plug, fresh fuel mix, clean carb, etc.)... I'm guessing that it will need a carb rebuild, already.
I just don't want to deal with that so soon, and would prefer getting a new, betterh unit. After advice of friends and reading this reviws I want try Poulan 9667..

BlazNT

BlazNT

After many years of buying and fixing Ryobi trimmers, I made an impulsive buy at Lowe's and got a Husquarvarna last summer. I typically do research before making such a purchase, but didn't on this unit. I had a great experience with one of their chainsaws, and bought it purely on the name. I have not been happy with it...
I'll spare the details, but it's not starting and I've done all the usual stuff (clean intake filter, exhaust, clean / new spark plug, fresh fuel mix, clean carb, etc.)... I'm guessing that it will need a carb rebuild, already.
I just don't want to deal with that so soon, and would prefer getting a new, betterh unit. After advice of friends and reading this reviws I want try Poulan 9667..

I can tell you that Jon from the review has no idea what he is talking about. The review reads like an advertisement. Now back to the issue at hand. The reason engines don't like to start is mostly dew to the gas you put in them. Dirty or full of water and so on. If you want an engine to work then put in quality "clean" gas that is not over 30 days old. I personally only use ethanol free gas. I know not everyone can purchase it at the local gas station but most auto parts stores sell a type of canned gas that is ethanol free. In a weed eater that should not need much of it in a season it is a small price to pay to have your equipment start like it is supposed to.

Oh and one more thing Polan is Husqvarna.

I

ingigo

My weed-eater Featherlite plus is almost 2 decades years old and still trims for over an hour, although on half choke and she is very demanding with the throttle.
I have replaced a lot of parts, but when I rebuilt the carb, it just seemed like I found more things to fix. I paid 69$ for the unit so replacing the parts to restore it would be much more than 70.....
Ask anyone one who weed eats a lot and they KNOW all weed-eaters are very finicky. I love the weight and simplicity of the Featherlite. I can use one arm most of the time to get under big trees and such. No harness needed. Very excited to see the twin string model as my huge commercial Makita two-string really takes thick stuff down and I use less string.

Overall, I highly recommend the Featherlite, I have not used the new one, but I demand much more than my equipment should handle and this thing stood up to a lot with proper maintenance.

I hope the current Featherlite model is still as tough as the previous.

Hope this helps.

I

ingigo

ethanol

Stay away from ethanol and pay more for the premium gasoline or pay for the fuel lines, primer bulb, carb and other things the ethanol will deteriorate them. the smaller the engine the more you need the 0% ethanol I feel.

O

outdoordoug

Can't find a more recent thread so posting here, hopeful. Also seems like consensus is gas all the way, but does anyone have experience with battery powered models? Was checking out some reviews online, but figured I'd see if anyone here has had one! I know the battery life won't be amazing but our yard isn't too big.

The reviews I found:
http://shedheads.net/best-battery-powered-weed-eater-2017/

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Dewalt are liked on Youtube.

You could consider buying a trimmer that is made by a company that makes other tools (drills, saws, etc.) That way it's one battery for everything. I personally like Makita.

O

outdoordoug

Dewalt are liked on Youtube.

You could consider buying a trimmer that is made by a company that makes other tools (drills, saws, etc.) That way it's one battery for everything. I personally like Makita.

Good call, going to have to double check my cordless tools and see if they're not too old and can find a whacker that would be compatible. Thanks!

Archie06930

Archie06930

My latest weed eater purchase was to invest in a Sears battery powered weed whacker and I am really happy with it. It's a lot better than any gas model I've owned because of the weight difference, the fact that I don't have to screw with engines being hard to start, mixing gas and oil to feed it, etc. The model I bought is the 40 Volt Lithium battery Max model. Now, having said all that, I should tell you I bought it 3 years ago, and this past year had to replace the cowling that guards the string and keeps it cut to the right length for trimming, and I also replaced the spool. Both purchases replaced worn out plastic parts, and it trims every bit as well as it did when brand new. Those parts only cost me like, 20 bucks with free shipping from Sears Parts Direct, which is usually the most expensive way to go, but for some reason these were very reasonably priced.

I would definitely go with this string trimmer model (I keep about 2 acres manicured so I bought an extra battery) over any gas powered string trimmer. The old WeedEater Featherlight trimmers (which they don't make any longer) were half way decent gas models, but none of any of the full sized gas trimmers I've tried are nearly as good as this Sears battery powered unit in my opinion.

I

ilovelawns

I was reading through this thread, and it hasn't been updated in a couple years so I thought I'd poke my head in. I just bought a Black & Decker LST300 based on the reviews I read here:

https://woodworkingtoolkit.com/best-battery-powered-weed-eaters/

I'm pretty happy with it overall, thought the battery does take a while to charge, so I ended up buying a second battery so I could keep one charging while the other is in use. With that little trick in place, I'm very happy with it.

Archie06930

Archie06930

I was reading through this thread, and it hasn't been updated in a couple years so I thought I'd poke my head in. I just bought a Black & Decker LST300 based on the reviews I read here:

https://woodworkingtoolkit.com/best-battery-powered-weed-eaters/

I'm pretty happy with it overall, thought the battery does take a while to charge, so I ended up buying a second battery so I could keep one charging while the other is in use. With that little trick in place, I'm very happy with it.

Still very satisfied with my purchase, I've bought an extra spool and spool cover to replace the worn out originals, but overall the machine works as good as it did the first time I used it. The second battery works out perfectly. By the time I've completed my weedwhacking chores up front, it's time to change out the battery and start on the back yard.

greatoutdoors

greatoutdoors

Recently got the Worx WG163 as adviced by https://homegearexpert.com/best-battery-powered-weed-eater/ and I love it. It's powerful, battery powered and very lightweight so everyone can handle this one easily.

Jake8131

Jake8131

thank you
thank you
Try the Black & Decker 522. Get a second battery, the Ah4.0 one. Unit weighs about 6lbs, Really light weight.

Echo 225 & it has a 5 year warranty as well.

I have a Shindaiwa T235 & it is a cousin to the Echo 225. Love it.

StarTech

StarTech

Actually the Shindaiwa is probably the same Echo just in drag. Both companies have merged.

I believe that warranty is just a consumer warranty. Under commercial use the SRM225 only makes two or three year before the cylinder plating wear through leading to PNC replacement.

logert gogert

logert gogert

hi,
im 13 so take my opinion lightly
i have a decent lawn care business in my neighborhood and i have about 12 yards right now, so when it comes to lawn equipment, i kind of know what I'm talking about, i have tried many weedeaters, and right now i think the best bang for your buck would be ( i have this seedeater ) a troy built, i got mine at home depot for 100$, its a 30 cc, straight shaft trimmer, its very powerful for its class, it can power through surprisingly very tall grass, one time i had to do someones back yard yard and the grass wass about as tall as me, and I'm 5'3, and it went through it very well, its very light and easy to use, but personally i would not get a "weedeater" brand trimmer, i have not had very much luck with those as for mine did not last very long, and it wasn't very powerful.

heres the seedeater that i have:
SALETroy-Bilt 30 cc 4-Cycle Straight Shaft Attachment Capable Gas Trimmer with JumpStart Capabilities$99.99$180Home Depot(692)Free shippingFor most items:90-day return policy

StarTech

StarTech

One thing I would not recommend is the 4 cycle version that uses an oil dipper system. Many may just make it through the first before they burn themselves from lack of proper oiling. Troybilt 4 cycles are one the worst I have seen here. The main problem is that you operate them level and not inverted due to the oil dipper system.

Now Stihl makes some excellent 4 mix trimmers. They true 4 cycle trimmers that use 2 cycle fuel mix. Shindaiwa also make very good 4 cycle trimmer that have oil pumping system via reed valves where they a separate oil tank and uses straight fuel.

As owners trimmers Homelite did make good trimmers but I don't know about the latest models. I have however used the older model quite heavy on the 14 acre farm.

logert gogert

logert gogert

uuuum, i actually posted the wrong link...oops lol
mine is actually a 2cycle

logert gogert

logert gogert

so just forget about the link.....
but every thing i said about MY trimmer is true
the only bad thing about it is it seems to lea gas, not from the tank, but i think it coming from the carb, when ever i go trim, i always notice the air intake has some gas in it...any1 know why???

R

Rivets

Echo trimmers only have a two year commercial warranty, but 90% of the commercial guys around here love them.

B

bogdaN

I vote for Homelite ST-155 or newer Not the China made.Those old curve shaft runs forever and last vibration comparing to Featherlite.

Actually the Shindaiwa is probably the same Echo just in drag. Both companies have merged.

I'm aware of the merger.
The diff between the Shin & Echo are that the Shin has a soild drive shaft. Echo does not.
And has a full protection guard under the fuel tank as opposed to the 1/2 one on Echo. I could go on. But I like my Shindaiwa.

Jake8131

Jake8131

Gpo with the Black & Decker LSTE522. It is an excellent battery powered weed eater.