Weed whack or mow?

Thunder

Threads
If you have a large patch of ground that is both uneven and rocky, would you want to mow the weeds down or weedwhack them, even though weed whacking would take twice as long.

Wayne195

Threads
I'd probably try the mower, but if it's too rocky it might shake the mower to pieces.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm with way95 on this... mow if you can, if not you only have a few options...
If the rocks are not too big or to many you might try removing them. Or
you can top dress the area with a sandy loam, apply a thin layer every couple wks until they are covered and smoothed out for mowing... Unfortunately some places just seem to 'grow' rocks, and you will have to keep doing this periodically.
If all else fails Heavy Equipment ...:biggrin:... excavate the top and replace with some rich dirt an' replant... :smile:KennyV

Tillie

Threads
I'd weed whack. I hate the sound of metal against stone. I also don't like the repair bill and although whacking takes more time, it doesn't cost anything if you come up against a stone.

Usedtorent

Threads
Mower of course, then what it does not get even I would weed whack. I try to mow everything that I can to save me the trouble of weed whacking. I hate to do this.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think I'd go with tillie on this one, I hate the sound of metal against stone. Trying to use a mower in a rocky area can cause a lot of problems for a mower. It doesn't do much for the blades and trimmer line is a lot cheaper than trying to replace blades and possibly a deck and spindles if you're using a rider. I don't know where this patch is located but if you're with in house distance. windows and cars could also be something you may want to consider, throwing stones from a mower can cause havoc. Stay with the weed-eater it's safer.:thumbsup:

tugboatphil

Threads
I'm lazy

I usually mow in a case like this. Raise the deck all the way the first time and go real slow. If you're going to make contact, it's best to be almost stopped when you do it.