Weed eater spring start up problems.

Craig56

Forum Newbie
Threads
Third year in a row my weed eater would not start. This will be my third carb rebuild. Used new gas all most every time last year like they said, and ran it out of gas last fall. I think it is a some thing 55. It痴 4yrs old. Any tips?

Thanks
Craig

Lawnranger

Threads
Check the carburetor diaphragm again and if it is stiff, replace it. Try using MotoMix at the end of the season as this fuel does not have ethanol in it. Cost is around $8.00-$9.00 but if it helps at least you won't have to rebuild the carburetor every year. Oops, should have said that MotoMix is Sthil's own two stroke mix fuel in a 32oz can and is good for two years once the seal is broken. I drain all the old fuel out at the end of the season and fill the tank half way with MotoMix and run the machine for a minute or two to get the good fuel through the whole system and store it as recommended.

Craig56

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just got it back today. $52 and change. Third year in a row. Could of bought a new one.

Only thing done on starting problem was new fule filter. Everything else was BS stuff, like grease cable in shaft and clean muffler.

Lawnranger

Threads
Just got it back today. $52 and change. Third year in a row. Could of bought a new one.

Only thing done on starting problem was new fule filter. Everything else was BS stuff, like grease cable in shaft and clean muffler.

I worked on Stihl trimmer today that had a partially plugged muffler. Very hard to start and if it did start, it would not rev up and just died when the throttle trigger was pulled. Acted just like a lean condition or a carburetor diaphragm that was not flexing enough to open the metering needle. You can go to youtube to learn a whole lot about small engine maintenance & repair to help save yourself time, money and headaches or you can pay guys like me. I'm not being sarcastic, just truthful and trying to help.

Keep in mind that the ethanol in the fuel is causing a lot of problems in OPE and using a good fuel stabilizer such as Marine Formula Sta-Bil will go a long way to help prevent a lot of ethanol fuel related problems.

Craig56

Forum Newbie
Threads
I worked on Stihl trimmer today that had a partially plugged muffler. Very hard to start and if it did start, it would not rev up and just died when the throttle trigger was pulled. Acted just like a lean condition or a carburetor diaphragm that was not flexing enough to open the metering needle. You can go to youtube to learn a whole lot about small engine maintenance & repair to help save yourself time, money and headaches or you can pay guys like me. I'm not being sarcastic, just truthful and trying to help.

Keep in mind that the ethanol in the fuel is causing a lot of problems in OPE and using a good fuel stabilizer such as Marine Formula Sta-Bil will go a long way to help prevent a lot of ethanol fuel related problems.

Thanks

Will try the Sta-Bil or the other stuff this fall.

Lawnranger

Threads
Thanks

Will try the Sta-Bil or the other stuff this fall.

Don't wait until fall. Start using a quality stabilizer right away to give you equipment the most protection available.