weed and feed

edd

Threads
looking for advice on putting down some weed and feed . sod that was put down at the local school sprouted a bumper crop of weeds...typical broadleaf variety...dandelion,chickweed ,plantain,etc....has anybody used weed and feed for this?.....several different brands of weed/feed on market.......dont want to burn up the grass but they asked if i would try to get rid of weeds......grass is centipede......my experience with weeds so far has been spot spraying but this is a 4 acre area that needs treated.....thanks

Mike88se

Threads
I have a neighbor who used weed and feed. He not only used it on his but he also put it on my sister's lawn. I asked him not to do that anymore. To me it should be called feed the weeds. Other people here may have had better results and may like it

edd

Threads
the few people i have talked to said they had mixed results........i just dont want to burn the grass up

possum

Threads
They want you to. People are going to want you to all your life and even after your death for a time. More information would be helpful. Your university will have some of the type you are looking for as will about any local landscape outfit. A visit to whom ever it was that supplied the sod might be a good idea.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here 1-1/2 acres. For 10 years I have fought weeds, acidic soil which favors "red sorrel." The $30 per 40 lb bags were useless, killing only some ,and bankrupting me along the way. I spot spray with better results and a fraction of cost. But the weeds generally win. It is only a holding action. Pro's here spray something that really works, perhaps "sweetener." I have refused that and now my front yard is mostly brown. A greenie, I guess, but we do have bees and some butterflies. The front lawn is mostly over a drain field so I cannot replace the grass with trees which I want. I do spread multi-use dry fertilizer in spring @ 1/4 the cost.

panabiker

Threads
Typical "weed & feed" fertilizers must be applied when the weed leaves are wet so that the granules will stick to the leaves. I was told the more effective way to deal with weeds is to simply spray the weed killer chemical, and feed the lawn with less expensive plain fertilizer if needed.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, panabiker, and another impossible condition, IMO, is the instruction to avoid wash-off for 24 hrs, an impossible requirement here in spring.

edd

Threads
after getting prices and looking at buying /applying ourself they decided to hire lowest bid to spray for weed control.....was about 150 dollars more than we could do it for on a 3 acre campus .......i am going to spread 16--4--8 fert on 3 acre practice field.....just trying to get ground cover thicker before band starts marching on it this summer

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
On the way to town I drive by a place where there is about 5 acres of perfect green grass. How the owner does this year after year is unknown as I never see any activity. He is well heeled or living in a pup tent to pay for the tons of miracle grow.