Export thread

Wat are the advantages Of using high octane gas?

LawnBoy97

LawnBoy97

I have a snapper hi vac and a craftsman pro "brushcutter." the lawn mower runs pretty good but I am mostly wondering about the trimmer. It starts in two pulls and runs pretty good, but it seems to smoke a lot as it gets warmed up and then when it drops to idle. It is around 10 years old and I was wondering if using a higher octane gas and maybe a semi synthetic blend oil would help it to perform at it's best. I was also wondering what high octane gas does ^in general. Like how it would change the performance of my mower. Thanks.

D

DaveTN

I don't use High Octane gas in small engines w/ low compression ratios. The reason for using High Octane is to prevent "Detonation" in High Compression engines. Trying to run low octane in a high compression engine will cause it to knock, sputter, kick and jerk and rattle like a jackass kicking in a tin stall. No real advantage to me in using high octane in a low compression engine. Compression ratio: volume difference between BDC (Bottom Dead Center of piston travel compared to TDC (Top Dead Center). In other words, the amount of volume compression you get from BDC to TDC or just before the spark plug fires expressed in a ratio. 10 to 1... 15 to 1... etc. Once you get into the higher numbers you're getting into the DIESEL range and thousands of degrees of temperature. Gas Law says that when you take a certain volume say at 50 degrees and compress it to half its volume, the TEMPERATURE DOUBLES! Doesn't take much piston travel and compression to multiply temperatures fast. Should you spray low octane gas into a high compression situation like that you will get a DETONATION rather than a CONTROLLED BURN and your engine will knock and cause damage if continued. Low compression engines, use low octane. High Compression engines use High Octane. That's about it.

LawnBoy97

LawnBoy97

Ok. So what are the high compression engines, because I was looking around on some forums and read that people were using the high octane gas ^in their 2 strokes. So then is it just not necessary Or could it damage the engine? Thanks.

P

possum

Well I just came in from shutting down a Briggs powered generator from a five hour run and it was running on 91 octane, has no high compression and no damage. Same gas I have been running for a few years now in all my small engines. It will not make an old engine a new one and neither will semi synthetic oils but both sure run nice.

D

DaveTN

Well I just came in from shutting down a Briggs powered generator from a five hour run and it was running on 91 octane, has no high compression and no damage. Same gas I have been running for a few years now in all my small engines. It will not make an old engine a new one and neither will semi synthetic oils but both sure run nice.

Using Low Octane, say 87 in a weedeater or pushmower won't make that much difference from what you're performance is now, but might get rid of some of that smoking due to better burn. The low Octane burns faster where the High Octane burns slower on the firing. Why not try the low octane for a few tanks and see if you have any better performance out of the weedeater/mower? I've never used high octane in a weedeater, not from fear of damage but only that the low octane works better in a low compression engine. Besides, you're just paying more money for less bang.

J

John_in_TN

Stihl has been reccomending 89 octane MINIMUM in their engines for several years now (in the Owners Manual). Locally, I have to buy at least the mid-grade gas to get 89 octaine.
Over the past several years, I have purchased new Stihl products from three different dealers. During the sales speel, all three of these dealers specifically reccomended using premium fuel and warned that use of Regular grade gas would void the warranty. They claimed the engines run cooler and burn more cleanly with the higher grade gas.

I

ILENGINE

All of the premium equipment makers recommend (require) 89-91 minimum. Sthil, Husky, dolmar, all run around 10:1 ratios, at least on their saws.

T

tyjoja

I don't care too much about the octane, I care that it doesn't have ethanol. And where I live the non ethanol available is higher octane.

D

DaveTN

All of the premium equipment makers recommend (require) 89-91 minimum. Sthil, Husky, dolmar, all run around 10:1 ratios, at least on their saws.

I stand corrected. Probably the slower burn on the mid to high octane would make it run cooler probably associated with the lean oil mixtures in these newer units. The old saws back years ago used something like a 20:1 oil/gas mixture. Nowdays you're up into the 50:1 That's a lean mix compared to the old saws. As far as ethanol I won't use it in a small engine.

LawnBoy97

LawnBoy97

So I guess I would be ok trying the mid grade gas with a semi synthetic oil at 50:1 ^in my 10+ year old craftsman weedwhacker, just to see what happens, or should I just keep doing what I am doing? I guess I am just a little confused.

Ric

Ric

I use 93 octane in everything, ZTR's all the stihl equipment trimmers, blowers etc. never had any problems.

L

lunky

I agree with the ethanol comment. Speaking with a small engine mechanic/friend of mine, he told me he had several engine problems with people using e-10. He has had very good luck in recommending premium in small engines. What stinks is stations are not required to identify fuel containing 10% ethanol or less. All they have to identify is octane rating.

H

hcooper

Lots of people think high octane gas is better, as it is marketed as "premium". Make one think if regular gas is substandard junk. Not so. Most people wouldn't know OCTANE if it jumped up and bit them.

Apart from small engines, I had a buddy of mine in the "old days" who insisted on running his 1200 CC Volkswagen on Super Shell. He used it all the time for nearly two years. I told him beware, but he knew better, or so he said.

Afetr the two year time period, the engine ran like crap. We removed it, disassembled it on a piece of plyboard on his mother's washing machine, and found that all the piston rings were stuck in their grooves (almost like welded), the exhaust valves has eroded to the point there was no valve margin left, and the heads had cracked between adjacent exhaust valve seats. This is visual speak for HEAT.

Continental aircraft engines of the C-85, C-90 and O-200A ilk: These were rated for old 80/87 octane avgas, and if that was all that the engine got fed, it hummed along until well over TBO. All I had to do was time mags, clean & gap plugs, and change oil. Once 80/87 wasn't arond any longer, the only avgas to use was 100/130 octane. I can attest to the fact that after about 300 hours of using this stuff, I was removing cylinders (at least one) and replacing intake valves and dressing seats.

If the engine does require, or isn't designed for, hi-octane gas, there is no advantage, and quite a few expensive disadvantages to using it.

LawnBoy97

LawnBoy97

Lots of people think high octane gas is better, as it is marketed as "premium". Make one think if regular gas is substandard junk. Not so. Most people wouldn't know OCTANE if it jumped up and bit them.

Apart from small engines, I had a buddy of mine in the "old days" who insisted on running his 1200 CC Volkswagen on Super Shell. He used it all the time for nearly two years. I told him beware, but he knew better, or so he said.

Afetr the two year time period, the engine ran like crap. We removed it, disassembled it on a piece of plyboard on his mother's washing machine, and found that all the piston rings were stuck in their grooves (almost like welded), the exhaust valves has eroded to the point there was no valve margin left, and the heads had cracked between adjacent exhaust valve seats. This is visual speak for HEAT.

Continental aircraft engines of the C-85, C-90 and O-200A ilk: These were rated for old 80/87 octane avgas, and if that was all that the engine got fed, it hummed along until well over TBO. All I had to do was time mags, clean & gap plugs, and change oil. Once 80/87 wasn't arond any longer, the only avgas to use was 100/130 octane. I can attest to the fact that after about 300 hours of using this stuff, I was removing cylinders (at least one) and replacing intake valves and dressing seats.

If the engine does require, or isn't designed for, hi-octane gas, there is no advantage, and quite a few expensive disadvantages to using it.

Okay, thanks for all of the information. That helps a lot.

Ric

Ric

Okay, thanks for all of the information. That helps a lot.

You can run what ever octane you want and it isn't going to hurt anything. As I said before I use Sunoco 93 octane with ethanol in everything, ZTR's all the stihl equipment trimmers, blowers etc. and have for the last ten years I've been in business and never had any problems with any of my engines Kohler, Honda, Kawasaki Stihl or Echo. Run what ever your comfortable with, if you run the 87 octane stuff and your engine doesn't or isn't running the way you think it should switch to the premium gas and see if there is a difference. I personally think my equipment runs better on the 93 octane. Experiment with the different octane gas and run the one you think runs or is better, as I said you can run what ever octane you want and it isn't going to hurt anything.

LawnBoy97

LawnBoy97

You can run what ever octane you want and it isn't going to hurt anything. As I said before I use Sunoco 93 octane with ethanol in everything, ZTR's all the stihl equipment trimmers, blowers etc. and have for the last ten years I've been in business and never had any problems with any of my engines Kohler, Honda, Kawasaki Stihl or Echo. Run what ever your comfortable with, if you run the 87 octane stuff and your engine doesn't or isn't running the way you think it should switch to the premium gas and see if there is a difference. I personally think my equipment runs better on the 93 octane. Experiment with the different octane gas and run the one you think runs or is better, as I said you can run what ever octane you want and it isn't going to hurt anything.

Okay, yeah, I'll prob do that then. Thanks

djdicetn

djdicetn

Ric,

I'm really surprised that you run ethanol gasoline in your equipment....you do add Sta-Bil, Seafoam or some type of treatment to offset the ethanol related problems right??? I do agree about less engine/carb/etc. problems with the higher octanes and I've decided to use the mid-grade(89 octane) non-ethanol in all of my small engines(and 125hp Mercury 2-stroke outboard on my boat), cause the premium(93 octane) non-ethanol is just too expensive. I figure the 89 octane(and I add Sta-Bil to all of them) and being non-ethanol should ensure good performance, no fuel-related problems and longevity. Can you not find non-ethanol in your area or why did you decide to use ethanol gas???

Ric

Ric

Ric,

I'm really surprised that you run ethanol gasoline in your equipment....you do add Sta-Bil, Seafoam or some type of treatment to offset the ethanol related problems right??? I do agree about less engine/carb/etc. problems with the higher octanes and I've decided to use the mid-grade(89 octane) non-ethanol in all of my small engines(and 125hp Mercury 2-stroke outboard on my boat), cause the premium(93 octane) non-ethanol is just too expensive. I figure the 89 octane(and I add Sta-Bil to all of them) and being non-ethanol should ensure good performance, no fuel-related problems and longevity. Can you not find non-ethanol in your area or why did you decide to use ethanol gas???

No, I don't use any type of treatment. The only treatment that my equipment sees is in the Stihl oil, there oils contain a fuel stabilizer or stabilizing features and a mixing agent to aid in mixing with gas or fuel. I don't keep gas over three or four days max..I can buy the 93 octane gas at Sunoco for like 2.79/2.89 a gallon for the first twenty gallons. The nearest Non-ethanol gas station is like 15 miles up the road making it a thirty mile round trip and to me it's not worth the drive and like I said I've never had any fuel-related problems and I've got 700 hrs on the CC 48 and the Toro GS is between 3 and 400 hrs. The only problem that I can remember and I personally never had an issue with was the replacement of the Stihl Gas caps and I replaced all of those and kept the old ones so I could use them if the replacements broke. Unlike so many others I don't have any issues with the ethanol gas. I think a lot of people use it (ethanol gas ) as an excuse or for something to blame for a piece of equipment going bad.

exotion

exotion

Used regular 87 with ethonol no treatment for years no fuel related problem as of yet.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Used regular 87 with ethonol no treatment for years no fuel related problem as of yet.

You have a lawn maintenance business, the gas probably doesn't stay in any of your equipment for more than a week or so and you're lucky to boot:0)
I sure hope you drain the remaining gas out of all of your equipment at the end of each season if you don't add Sta-Bil or Seafoam to treat it. If you don't, you're asking for eventual problems and "we told you so"!!

exotion

exotion

You have a lawn maintenance business, the gas probably doesn't stay in any of your equipment for more than a week or so and you're lucky to boot:0)
I sure hope you drain the remaining gas out of all of your equipment at the end of each season if you don't add Sta-Bil or Seafoam to treat it. If you don't, you're asking for eventual problems and "we told you so"!!

Of course I drain my gas my jeep apreciates it

Carscw

Carscw

I run 87 I do not add anything to my gas. Never have had any trouble.

I think this is all made up crap.
Why do the car dealers not tell you if you don't drive your car for a month drain the gas?

Gas sit in my 68 camaro for 6 months or more never any trouble in the past 15 years.

Now gas only sits in my mower over night

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

T

Tom59

Why do the car dealers not tell you if you don't drive your car for a month drain the gas?

Gas sit in my 68 camaro for 6 months or more never any trouble in the past 15 years.

Made up ? Seriously do a google search. In fact go on EXXON's site and they even tell you how bad the ethanol is longterm. Just because you haven't had issues doesn't mean much. Ask any garage that see's hundreds of cars. I know when I built my turbo car we had to run special lines for ethanol based fuels otherwise it eats them. I also used new pumps , same reasoning.

Here more on ethanol based fuel E15 : The key points from the API report are below:

The additional E15 testing, completed this month, has identified an elevated incidence of fuel pump failures, fuel system component swelling, and impairment of fuel measurement systems in some of the vehicles tested. E15 could cause erratic and misleading fuel gauge readings or cause faulty check engine light illuminations. It also could cause critical components to break and stop fuel flow to the engine. Failure of these components could result in breakdowns that leave consumers stranded on busy roads and highways. Fuel system component problems did not develop in the CRC tests when either E10 or E0 was used. It is difficult to precisely calculate how many vehicles E15 could harm. That depends on how widely it is used and other factors. But, given the kinds of vehicles tested, it is safe to say that millions could be impacted.

In 2010 and 2011, EPA gave the green light to use E15 - the 15 percent ethanol gasoline blend - in model-year-2001-and-later cars and some other vehicles. EPA's action was irresponsible. EPA knew E15 vehicle testing was ongoing but decided not to wait for the results. Why did EPA move forward prematurely? Part of the answer may be the need to raise the permissible concentration level of ethanol so that greater volumes could be used, as required by the federal Renewable Fuel Standard. Most gasoline sold today is an E10 blend, but rising volume requirements under the law can't be met much longer without going to higher blends.

I run all my small engines dry ....after the season. Especially my snow blower which see's very limited use-

BTW , love 68" Camaros....66" nova's even more.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Carscw,

I can't believe you treat a classic like that Camero like that:0(
My father-in-law has a 1979 Chevelle SS396 and runs nothing but non-ethanol premium grade in it. Almost all of the major manufacturers of small engines had "adapted" their components to be OK with the 10% ethanol blend but still "warn" about letting it sit in a tank more than 30 days or over the winter. They all "STRONGLY" emphasize that anything higher than 10% ethanol will "void the engine warranty" which reinforces what user Tom59 just eluded to. Below is a link to a news release where you can take a Husqvarna "online ethanol test". I suggest you spend a few minutes to see if you can "pass" the test:0)

Take the Ethanol Challenge by Husqvarna - Fuel, Campaign

Also, below is a link to the Top Ten Facts about ethanol gasoline(most of which many of us had no idea about:0(

Top Ten Facts about Ethanol

IMHO, our government has "brainwashed us" into believing that the ethanol additive in gasoline is good for the environment and economy:0(

Carscw

Carscw

Carscw,

I can't believe you treat a classic like that Camero like that:0(
My father-in-law has a 1979 Chevelle SS396 and runs nothing but non-ethanol premium grade in it. Almost all of the major manufacturers of small engines had "adapted" their components to be OK with the 10% ethanol blend but still "warn" about letting it sit in a tank more than 30 days or over the winter. They all "STRONGLY" emphasize that anything higher than 10% ethanol will "void the engine warranty" which reinforces what user Tom59 just eluded to. Below is a link to a news release where you can take a Husqvarna "online ethanol test". I suggest you spend a few minutes to see if you can "pass" the test:0)

Take the Ethanol Challenge by Husqvarna - Fuel, Campaign

Also, below is a link to the Top Ten Facts about ethanol gasoline(most of which many of us had no idea about:0(

Top Ten Facts about Ethanol

IMHO, our government has "brainwashed us" into believing that the ethanol additive in gasoline is good for the environment and economy:0(

When you buy a new car where does it say to run non - ethanol gas?

For years people have been putting additives In there gas that if you read the bottle it has ethanol in it.

Y'all act like someone just now invented ethanol when it's been around for 30 plus years.
Back when my car was made it ran on leaded gas now here is a amazing fact leaded fuel was 80% gas and 20% ethanol.

Jan 7, 2013 - Nonetheless, the history of tetraethyl lead (TEL) has lessons to teach us. Its origins as ... Motor fuel made up of about 80% gasoline and 20% ethanol worked beautifully.

Ethanol began being used in 1979 and auto manufactures did not address the use of ethanol blended fuels. Then when they began testing their vehicles with the new blended fuels, they were able to approve the use of the 10% ethanol blended fuels. Some went as far as to recommend the new blended fuels in their vehicles.

Will ethanol hurt my older engine designed for leaded gas?
No. The concern about older engines came about because of the lead phase-out. Lead oxides that were formed during combustion provided a cushion that reduced wear on non-case-hardened valve seats. Therefore, it is the absence of lead, not the presence of ethanol, that is of concern.

Why do some mechanics say not to use ethanol?
A mechanic who says not to use ethanol does not have correct information. There is very little information available for mechanics on fuel formulation, so when there appears to be a fuel-related problem with an engine, some mechanics will immediately ask if ethanol has been used. The only reason ethanol is suspected is that in many states it is the only gasoline component other than lead that has an identifying label. In North Dakota, New Mexico, and Idaho, ethanol proponents have offered a $100 reward to any customer who can document damage from ethanol to his or her car, and so far no one has ever collected.

Can I use it in my lawn mower?
No, you'll have to stop mowing the lawn every week. Only kidding, I thought I saw a few people smile at that prospect. The answer is yes, you can use the 10% ethanol blended fuels anywhere you use regular unleaded fuel. It can be used in any lawn mower, snow plow, snowmobile, ATV and any other gas powered engine. There may be some carburetor adjustment needed, so always refer to your equipments owners manual before using it.

Carscw

Carscw

In North Dakota, New Mexico, and Idaho, ethanol proponents have offered a $100 reward to any customer who can document damage from ethanol to his or her car, and so far no one has ever collected.

I guess no one can prove it hurts anything.

Ethanol gets blamed for a lot on here just like no matter what is wrong with your mower a hand full of guys on here always will say check your valves.

T

Tom59

In North Dakota, New Mexico, and Idaho, ethanol proponents have offered a $100 reward to any customer who can document damage from ethanol to his or her car, and so far no one has ever collected.

I guess no one can prove it hurts anything.

Ethanol gets blamed for a lot on here just like no matter what is wrong with your mower a hand full of guys on here always will say check your valves.

Show me that website internet has all kinds of propaganda.
I'd love to send in some old fuel line and pumps to collect my 100.00. I remember a spike in fuel pump replacements too. Today they have changed fuel lines and pump parts to accept the WATER and coat TANKS to not rust from the inside.
Ask B&S or Kohler they were blind sided by it.

YES , NEW CARS CAN RUN IT its federally mandated. Why so many new additives like the one at the top of the this website. Why has fuel stabilizers become such a big business. I never heard of fuel stabilizer in the 70's. Why , you simply didn't need. You didn't need teflon and SS fuel lines either. Or pumps....

Although the Web is rife with complaints from car owners who say ethanol damaged their engines, ethanol producers and automakers say it's safe to use in cars. But smaller engines the two-cycle utility engines in lawnmowers, chain saws and outboard boat motors are another story.

Benjamin Mallisham, owner of a lawnmower repair shop in Tuscaloosa, Ala., said at least 40 percent of the lawnmower engines he repairs these days have been damaged by ethanol.

when you put ethanol in here, it eats up the insides or rusts them out, Mallisham said. all the rubber gaskets and parts it eats those up.

The Renewable Fuels Association, a trade group for ethanol producers based in Washington, says theres no evidence that ethanol can damage smaller engines, either. ?ests completed on lawnmowers, chainsaws, weed trimmers and blower vacs with ethanol fuels showed no engine failures, no unscheduled maintenance and good performance, the association said.

These people will say anything! They are trying to keep making bookoo dollars off the fuel they sell.

This year alone gas has surged .90 a gallon because of ethanol. Been to the pump lately?

Except for a small minority of corn growers and ethanol producers, corn ethanol is a bad deal for everybody it damages automobile engines and fuel systems, its bad for the environment, it requires billions of dollars extracted from US taxpayers, and it raises fuel and food prices for consumers.

Thats my basic argument in my editorial today in Michigan papers, here is a slice:

Corn ethanol is clearly inferior to gasoline as a fuel source for automobiles. Despite a 51-cent-per-gallon tax credit to companies that blend ethanol into gasoline (now expired), ethanol costs about 70 cents a gallon more than gasoline on an energy-equivalent basis. Instead of helping consumers, ethanol provides 27% lower fuel economy than gasoline.

Realistically, you have to burn a lot more ethanol-based fuel to create the same amount of energy to power your car, which has unnecessarily driven up the cost of operating a vehicle. And there are serious long-term adverse environmental implications from using corn ethanol. Growing corn to make fuel requires significant amounts of fertilizer and pesticides that pollute the soil, underground aquifers and waterways. The National Research Council has determined that corn ethanol uses significantly more water in its production cycle than gasoline.

Blame Ethanol for Spike in Gasoline Prices: Lutz | Breakout - Yahoo! Finance

Ethanols the reason gas has spiked .....^^^ That is from TODAY. ^

E85 Conversion Kits Change2E85.com Go read their own site and tell me ethanol doesn't have issues.

djdicetn

djdicetn

When you buy a new car where does it say to run non - ethanol gas?

For years people have been putting additives In there gas that if you read the bottle it has ethanol in it.

Y'all act like someone just now invented ethanol when it's been around for 30 plus years.
Back when my car was made it ran on leaded gas now here is a amazing fact leaded fuel was 80% gas and 20% ethanol.

Jan 7, 2013 - Nonetheless, the history of tetraethyl lead (TEL) has lessons to teach us. Its origins as ... Motor fuel made up of about 80% gasoline and 20% ethanol worked beautifully.

Ethanol began being used in 1979 and auto manufactures did not address the use of ethanol blended fuels. Then when they began testing their vehicles with the new blended fuels, they were able to approve the use of the 10% ethanol blended fuels. Some went as far as to recommend the new blended fuels in their vehicles.

Will ethanol hurt my older engine designed for leaded gas?
No. The concern about older engines came about because of the lead phase-out. Lead oxides that were formed during combustion provided a cushion that reduced wear on non-case-hardened valve seats. Therefore, it is the absence of lead, not the presence of ethanol, that is of concern.

Why do some mechanics say not to use ethanol?
A mechanic who says not to use ethanol does not have correct information. There is very little information available for mechanics on fuel formulation, so when there appears to be a fuel-related problem with an engine, some mechanics will immediately ask if ethanol has been used. The only reason ethanol is suspected is that in many states it is the only gasoline component other than lead that has an identifying label. In North Dakota, New Mexico, and Idaho, ethanol proponents have offered a $100 reward to any customer who can document damage from ethanol to his or her car, and so far no one has ever collected.

Can I use it in my lawn mower?
No, you'll have to stop mowing the lawn every week. Only kidding, I thought I saw a few people smile at that prospect. The answer is yes, you can use the 10% ethanol blended fuels anywhere you use regular unleaded fuel. It can be used in any lawn mower, snow plow, snowmobile, ATV and any other gas powered engine. There may be some carburetor adjustment needed, so always refer to your equipments owners manual before using it.

Carscw,

Can you divulge the source of your information(you didn't mention that)? I, like many, understand that there is a LOT of information available on the Internet....but also a LOT of mis-information on the Internet. I read your information....but did you read mine?? Apparently, the link for the Husqvarna "online ethanol test" is no longer active and when I tried it did not work. Here's a link on their website, though, that has a 4 minute You-Tube about using ethanol blended gasoline in their equipment:

Research - Ethanol and Your Outdoor Power Equipment

Also, a "very reliable" source of information IMHO is Wickepedia and below is a link to an article there. It specifically points out some of the recommended modifications to engines and disadvantages to ethanol gasoline since it's proliferation in this country due to the mandates established in the Energy Policy Act of 2005.

To quote some of that article...."Disadvantages to ethanol fuel blends when used in engines designed exclusively for gasoline include lowered fuel mileage, metal corrosion, deterioration of plastic and rubber fuel system components, clogged fuel systems, fuel injectors, and carburetors, delamination of composite fuel tanks, varnish buildup on engine parts, damaged or destroyed internal engine components, water absorption, fuel phase separation, and shortened fuel storage life.[143][143][144][145] Many major auto, marine, motorcycle, lawn equipment, generator, and other internal combustion engine manufacturers have issued warnings and precautions about the use of ethanol-blended gasolines of any type in their engines,[146] and the Federal Aviation Administration and major aviation engine manufacturers have prohibited the use of automotive gasolines blended with ethanol in light aircraft due to safety issues from fuel system and engine damage."

Below is a link if you want to spend some time to get "the whole story" from a reliable source. That's my story and I'm sticking to it:0)

Common ethanol fuel mixtures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Carscw

Carscw

And I bet you all so think that George Zimmerman was guilty.

I have never had any trouble because of ethanol and do not know anyone that has.

We can both find more than enough junk online to prove our side.

You say you have fuel lines that the ethanol ate up. What tests do you do to come up with this?

M

Mini Motors

I am also skeptical about ethanol having a detrimental affect on o-rings and such. But the evidence is in on it's corrosive qualities. It's the water that ethanol attracts that does much of the corrosive damage. Some metals in the fuels systems rust and corrode due to this water. The sad news is that there isn't much an additive can do about that.

But to a broader issue. There will always be a paid lobbyist to dispute any actual findings. Remember cigarettes? I just saw what must be a first attempt aimed at the corn industry(ethanol) by the petroleum industry. It was a mechanic on a floor dolly, basically saying how he loves the money he makes by ethanol being in gas. Where did I put that popcorn? Petroleum against corn. This'll be interesting. Corn just fended off an attack regarding High Fructose Corn Syrup after studies(Princeton University, among others) said how bad it is. Their response cited no studies of their own. Sounds like it was straight out of the big tobacco playbook.

djdicetn

djdicetn

And I bet you all so think that George Zimmerman was guilty.

I have never had any trouble because of ethanol and do not know anyone that has.

We can both find more than enough junk online to prove our side.

You say you have fuel lines that the ethanol ate up. What tests do you do to come up with this?

C'mon Carscw...you are just being argumentative now. You didn't answer my question about your source. Wickepedia(my last excerpt) is highly respected/reliable Internet information. I agree with another poster...just because you haven't had problems or don't personally know anyone who has doesn't mean that ethanol doesn't cause problems. The evidence is quite overwhelming that it does and IMHO you are playing Russian Roulette simply ignoring the potential problem(leaving ethanol in that classic car sitting for 6 months). I sure hope for your sake that your luck holds out.
P.S.
What does any of this have to do with Zimmerman????.....that's pretty desperate:0(

exotion

exotion

C'mon Carscw...you are just being argumentative now. You didn't answer my question about your source. Wickepedia(my last excerpt) is highly respected/reliable Internet information. I agree with another poster...just because you haven't had problems or don't personally know anyone who has doesn't mean that ethanol doesn't cause problems. The evidence is quite overwhelming that it does and IMHO you are playing Russian Roulette simply ignoring the potential problem(leaving ethanol in that classic car sitting for 6 months). I sure hope for your sake that your luck holds out.
P.S.
What does any of this have to do with Zimmerman????.....that's pretty desperate:0(

... wikipedia is not reliable most college professors won't accept that as a source. Seeing as anyone with an account can edit the information. It used to be worse but wikipedia has gotten strides to help with this but doesn't change how people see it.

Now that being said if you can check wikipedias sources and find the original post to be an article with some scientific backing vs a personal opinion then you have a solid lead.

Carscw

Carscw

Here is a site that did study's

http://alternativefuels.about.com/o...Five-Things-You-Should-Know-About-Ethanol.htm

Can you show me one case that ethanol was to blame?
And tell me what's test where done to come to this.

Carscw

Carscw

Why just in the past few years is ethanol to blame for every small engine problem when it's been in our gas since the 70s ?

Why did the tech at the small engine shop charge me to adjust my valves on a engine with no valve adjustment?

Because back in the 70s and 80s a mechanic knew what he was doing and did not have to look everything up in a book.

One group says ethanol does not hurt anything.
The other group blames ethanol for everything.

Just show me that a group of scientist did a study.
Maybe the rubber has line is cheap

djdicetn

djdicetn

I guess everone will just have to respect each other's differing opinions on the ethanol blended gasoline debate which seems to have it's share of supporters and opponents here on the forums as well as in the industry. I will post one last link for a website that contains manufacturers' recommendation(autos, boats, lawn equipment and other engine applications) for the use of E10(and higher concentration) ethanol blended gasoline. My advice to anyone reading this thread is to do your own research and form you own opinion regarding the use of and precautions in using ethanol blended gasoline. Nuff said!!!

Maunufacturer Ethanol E10 Fuel Recommendations

djdicetn

djdicetn

Read the thread below from the Ferris Forum. Why, that Ferris dealer is plumb crazy.....right:0)

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/ferri...ge-works-intermintently-2month-old-2000z.html