Walk behind 6.5 briggs oil comming out of carb

rsedell

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought this new a few years ago m changed oil and filter when it was called for, this year the mower started to act funny, back fire when i released the kil switch, today there was no oil in the carnk case, it was on the floor, cleaned it up and filled the crankcase started it, ran a little rough not bad but still, started to smoke light blue/white color out of the muffler area, stopped the mower light blue smoke from the same area and the fly wheel, tore it apart didn't see where oil was from, put it back together, filled the to the mark, and let it sit, saw oil dripping from the air filter, is this thing toast?? or should i just run it until winter and get a new mower for next year? thanks.

Ifixdit

Threads
I bought this new a few years ago m changed oil and filter when it was called for, this year the mower started to act funny, back fire when i released the kil switch, today there was no oil in the carnk case, it was on the floor, cleaned it up and filled the crankcase started it, ran a little rough not bad but still, started to smoke light blue/white color out of the muffler area, stopped the mower light blue smoke from the same area and the fly wheel, tore it apart didn't see where oil was from, put it back together, filled the to the mark, and let it sit, saw oil dripping from the air filter, is this thing toast?? or should i just run it until winter and get a new mower for next year? thanks.

Did you look under the mower to see if it was leaking oil from around the crank seal? Did you have the mower on its side for awhile? That would explain the smoking. It's not possible to loose all the oil through the air filter just by leaking. The air filter is above the bottom of the crankcase so it must be going elsewhere. Take a look under the mower and see if its coming out the bottom.

rsedell

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you look under the mower to see if it was leaking oil from around the crank seal? Did you have the mower on its side for awhile? That would explain the smoking. It's not possible to loose all the oil through the air filter just by leaking. The air filter is above the bottom of the crankcase so it must be going elsewhere. Take a look under the mower and see if its coming out the bottom.

I did look under the mower and it is dry as a bone, its all coming from the top side, only had it on its side to clean the bottom and remove a small amount of string that got wrapped around the shaft, thanks for the help,
I'm going to try to run it this season, and when sears has the end of season clearance sale on the floor models i'll get a new one,

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you mistakenly tipped your mower to clean it with the carb down, the oil will drain from the crankcase into the carb and then into the muffler. My suggestion is to make sure you have the proper level of oil in the crank case and start the engine. Don't do this on a concrete surface as you will have an oil spray from the muffler. It is going become a mosquito beater for awhile, but should clear up in about 15 minutes. After it clears up and cools down check the oil level, clean the top of the deck (you'll understand why) and change the plug.