Export thread

Vintage QT-16 Bolens

Roger B

Roger B

We were just given this QT-16 Bolens Model 1666-01 tractor by one of my step-son's customers. We believe it to be a 1972 or 1973 model. It has a Twin cylinder Onan BF-MS/2425 A engine and came with a number of attachments, including, cab, tire chains, snow blower, three-blade mower deck, trailer and lawn roller. The tractor and attachments are in incredibly good condition as everything was always stored indoors and only used occasionally. The original owner was getting rid of it due to a starting/running problem, which he believes is electrical. I have already removed the cab and hood, (Gads! This thing is built like a Sherman tank!!) and I did get it to start and run for a few seconds, but then it died just as he had reported it did for him. It seems from my initial investigation that the spark is strong, but intermittent and I'm not sure what would cause that, maybe the coil or condenser. I have to remove the exhaust muffler in order to access the points.

If the engine problem becomes serious, I may have to move my questions to the Onan Forum - - I guess there is one...

Here's are a few pictures for you antique Bolens lovers to drool over.

Roger

Attachments

Roger B

Roger B

Nope, I guess there isn't an Onan forum... What's with that? Onan made great small engines in their day..

Anyway, progress has been made.. First the muffler had to be removed to gain access to the points. That was not easy. I had to beat the two fittings on the muffler off the exhaust pipes. A little "Kroil" helped in loosening them up. Turning the key to "Start" and watching the points immediately indicated one problem, the points were not opening and closing. I didn't bother to look up the correct setting, I just readjusted them until they opened and closed. Then I pulled the spark plugs, one gap was almost non-existent, the other looked a little too tight, so again I didn't look up the correct gap, I just opening both of them up until they looked about right. I connected the sparkplug wires and laid one plug on the engine and cranked it over.... Nice strong spark, firing evenly too. However when I reinstalled the plug and cranked the engine, still no start. So I pulled both plugs and dribbled some gasoline into each cylinder and reinstalled the plugs. This time when I hit the key the engine started right up, but didn't keep running. I removed the air cleaner cover and squirted some gas directly into the carb while cranking the engine. It started and continued to run as long as I squirted gas in... Ah Ha! Now we know we have a fuel problem. I'll tackle that tomorrow.

Roger

Attachments

Roger B

Roger B

FUEL VALVE!!! Who'd a thunk it???

After coming in the house I decided to sit down and read the operators manual.. (Did I mention that the owner gave us all the manuals that came with the tractor and all the implements too?) I was looking up the gap for the plugs and points (both .025") when I noted a section on fuel, so I read it.. Guess what? There is a little bitty fuel valve hidden up under the fuel tank. Once I found it, it was turned off so hard, I had to use pliers to turn it back on.. Hit the key, the engine cranked a few seconds and then started right up! I think after correctly gapping the plugs and points, I'll have the old girl running!

I also discovered that I was only supposed to remove the muffle bracket that is bolted to the front of the engine in front of the breaker box.. There are two healthy radiator type hose clamps around the muffler and that bracket that I could have removed and then removed the bracket itself, so I could work on the points under the muffler.. Oh well, this gave me better access and the muffler assembly came off in one piece, so I guess I'll be able to get it back on again..

Roger B

BWH

BWH

Sounds like a fun project, your right about a "Sherman Tank" These old Bolens were just brutes! Everything on these were built to last a lifetime and then be passed down to the next generation. My estimation is that the weakest part of the Bolens garden tractors from the 1250 through the QT-16 were the decks (tapered Bearings) and then the next thing to give out was the engines. My SD-14 Wisconsin on a 1455 lasted 25 years before I had to scrap it but that was after a couple of borings and then sleeving it, I'm on my 2nd Briggs plus I don't use it much for mowing anymore mainly for implements and dozer blade.

Never the less I still enjoy using it when ever I get the chance.

Good Luck with your Bolens, Yes I'm jealous of your acquisition!

Roger B

Roger B

BWH,

Actually, compared to todays lawn tractors . . . well, there really Isn't any comparison, is there? Just the frame of this beast most likely weighs more than one of todays complete tractors! The hydraulic-drive rear-end is a massive iron casting, even the drive shaft between the engine and the rear end is heavy enough to use in one of todays compact cars. I have been truly amazed by it's construction. I well remember the old Simplicities, and Gravelys and even they were not anywhere near as rugged made as this Bolens!

Thanks for your comment, I noted that there haven't been too many posts to the Bolens Forum and I was concerned that maybe there wasn't much interest in them. Is there some site where a history of their tractors can be reviewed? You say, "from the 1250 through the QT-16". Were you speaking chronologically, or by HP rating?

If this was my machine, I'd steam clean the whole rig and spend a few months restoring it as well as I could, but my only assignment was to get it running. I'm afraid now that I have it going, it will be doomed to lots of work and very little love until it craps out again and comes back my way.. Oh well, as you said, it was an interesting project, but there is so much more that I'd like to do to it!!

Good luck with your 1455, I hope it has many more years of use. Sad it has to have a B&S, when it originally had an old Wisconsin.. Some things really aren't as good as "they used to make them", are they?

Roger B

BWH

BWH

Yes your right on the "Beast" I have been around Bolens all my life I grew up on a farm my Dad owned a Oliver tractor dealership that also sold Bolens garden tractors also. As kids my brothers and I couldn't wait for our once a week trip to the dealership to mow the place up while Dad went over the weeks business with the manager of the dealership. Of course we always used a current model to mow up the place, we even had a loader on a 1250 that was amazing back in 1968 to move snow (yes we had full size tractors and loaders available but the loader on the Bolens was far too tempting.

My first garden tractor was a 800 Bolens with a SD-8 Wisconsin and a three speed transmission with a two/speed This was the pipe frame but not to lessen the tractor the rest of it was cast iron the front frame and axel and the transmission/axel was a very large piece of cast iron. I use that for many years and still have it stored away. (I had a snow blower for this also and it was a great unit for its day)

My 1455 I believe weighs 980lbs. dry, you at right having that Briggs in it was a shame but some day I will put something in it that will make it proud again. I would like to get a twin cylinder Onan like the one you are working on as I believe the 1886 in the early 1970's had.

I was meaning the long run Bolens had in the 60's 70's 80's and possibly into the 90's where they were using the Eaton hydrostatic transmission is nearly unmatched by anything else. Too bad they had to lessen/cheapen up the Bolens line it couls still have been the "Cadillac" of the industry.

You can Google Bolens, I have found the complete history including models/years/specs. very interesting.

Thanks

Roger B

Roger B

BWH,

Ah Ha.. Now I understand your Bolens 'roots'! Good old Olivers, they were fairly popular up here in Maine back in the day. We still see them fairly consistently at vintage tractor shows. Any tractor that could survive plowing this rock pile we call "soil" up here had to be tough!

I also dabble at wood working and collect block planes. Your 1455 brought that to mind. (See picture)

Thanks for the information.

Roger

Attachments

P

Pumper54

Roger,
Gas shut off valve. Is it not funny the things we can learn by reading the operator's manual? Just messing with you. Believe it or not I have found a bunch of information of different subjects simply using google. Sometimes the less information you search under the more you find.

Tom

Roger B

Roger B

Re: Vintage QT-16 Bolens - Fuel Shut-Off

Tom,

Considering the age of the machine, I should have thought about a fuel shut-off, but I didn't... Thankfully when I was reading the operators manual looking for the proper points and spark-plug settings, I noticed the small section on fuel and the shut-off was mentioned, or I'd have never found it.. It is impossible to see unless you lay on the ground and look up under the gas tank and even then, I doubt I would have recognized it for what it is, it certainly does not 'look' like a shut-off. The handle is a small cylindrical, (maybe 5/8" in diameter) knurled knob, that looks all the world like part of a 90 degree fitting. I still wasn't sure it was the shut-off when I had to use pliers to open it..

I do wish that once I got the engine to fire and run it had run smoothly, but it doesn't. I suspect carburetor problems, but I'm not going to dig into it. If I do, I'll end up buying all the parts myself and I'm too damn cheap! LOL

I have worked on those twin Onan's before and they 'test' my mechanical abilities. I didn't grow up working on engines and when the opportunity did arise, I was always concerned that I'd not have the correct tool, or I'd miss some critical tolerance setting and screw it up.. I have always hated to screw things up and that has kept me from experimenting, especially on engines, which now at this age I realize is a pity, because I imagine I would have eventually learned something and have become more confident.. Oh well, at least I got it to start up and that's more than it would do when it came here.

Roger

S

SeniorCitizen

Tom,

The handle is a small cylindrical, (maybe 5/8" in diameter) knurled knob, that looks all the world like part of a 90 degree fitting. I still wasn't sure it was the shut-off when I had to use pliers to open it.

That valve, with a knurled knob, is more than likely called a " Needle Valve " and takes only an ounce of torque to stop fuel flow when closing. That is if a previous mechanic hasn't already screwed it up by over torquing.

Some, with a bonnet nut, can be disassembled and threads/packing area of stem lubed.

BWH

BWH

BWH,

Ah Ha.. Now I understand your Bolens 'roots'! Good old Olivers, they were fairly popular up here in Maine back in the day. We still see them fairly consistently at vintage tractor shows. Any tractor that could survive plowing this rock pile we call "soil" up here had to be tough!

I also dabble at wood working and collect block planes. Your 1455 brought that to mind. (See picture)

Thanks for the information.

Roger

Roger

Just returned from foot surgery, looks like I'll be sitting around foot elevated talking to blogs for a few weeks.

I find the wood planes very interesting also I'm not too much of a carpenter but my Grandfather was, before my Father passed away he gave me a couple of my Grandfathers plains one old steel and brass and one totally wood one with the steel blade, the thing is it was homemade made for fancy corner design trim work if I remember the story,

I have a 1950 Oliver 77 that I use to go on tractor rides from time to time, I also have a 1969 Oliver 1750 that I used to move snow with but my skid loader is quite a bit handier on my limited space acreage then the Oliver. But you know how that goes I don't have much in them and hate to part with them.

P.S. I have seen them rock plows but we don't have any rocks around here.

Have you had any snow to contend with this season?

B

bertsmobile1

Shove a couple of bricks under the foot of your bed. Much better than trying to keep it on a pillow.
Just in the morning, take a few minutes to lower it slowly or the fluids rushing gown will feel like the biggest carst iron plane landed on your foot.
If they gave you a compression stocking, put it on before you attempt to stand up
Good luck.
I ripped my right foot off many years ago and still sleep with the foot end of the bed elevated.

Roger B

Roger B

I ripped my right foot off many years ago and still sleep with the foot end of the bed elevated.

Hmmmm, that sounds like a motorcycle accident to me! One of my cousins was married to a guy that had done exactly that!! (Only some of his leg was gone too!) He was also an airplane mech and a drunk.. Not necessarily in that order.

I had one fairly 'decent' motorcycle accident that made me paranoid about riding.. After it, every time I found myself on back roads with the wind in my hair (I had more hair back then) I would envision some little old half-blind, 'blue-hair' backing out of her driveway around every corner and eventually that got to me. I haven't owned a bike since.

Roger

Roger B

Roger B

Tom,

Sorry to hear about your foot, was this 'corrective' surgery, or did you have an accident too?

If your Oliver 77 a tricycle, I guess most of them were although I have seen orchard ones that were not. I can see where a 1750 might be a little large to move snow with on a small property. That's my problem here. We only have an acre and the land is all up and down (and rocks of course) so I rally don't have room for a 'real' tractor. I would love to have a 640 series Ford tractor, but I have to sell my boat in order to have a place to store it and what in h#ll would I DO with it?

Snow. No we haven't had but a couple dustings here along the coast yet. Inland and up in the N.W. of the state they've had more, but then they always do until winter really sets in.

Here's a picture I snapped out our back door looking across to the mainland the other day.

Roger

Attachments

Roger B

Roger B

That valve, with a knurled knob, is more than likely called a " Needle Valve " and takes only an ounce of torque to stop fuel flow when closing. That is if a previous mechanic hasn't already screwed it up by over torquing.

Some, with a bonnet nut, can be disassembled and threads/packing area of stem lubed.

Hey Senior,

Yeah, I got the little bugger moving, but like you said somebody had really cranked on it. It easily shuts off with just finger pressure. Thankfully I found it, otherwise I would still be out there kicking the crap out of the tractor and cursing like a sailor, wondering why it wouldn't start!

Roger

Roger B

Roger B

Wood Planes

Tom,

This is pretty far off topic, but then this Bolens forum (oops, sorry Bert-Man, this Bolens "part" of the forum) has been kinda lacking in posts, so what the heck...

I have a wooden TOLMAN "spar" plane. You can see in the picture of the front of the plane, that the shoe (bottom) is actually curved, as is the iron (blade). It was used in the days of wooden ships to plane nice round spars for the masts.

Back in the 1820's, J.R. Tolman was a manufacturer of many planes and other tools for the shipbuilding industry.

If you are interested in vintage tools check out the Davistown Museum: http://www.davistownmuseum.org/ it is located here in Liberty, Maine and they have a fabulous collection and archive of information on tool makers. Across the street from the museum is Liberty Tool: http://www.libertytoolco.com/ which is a place I love to take friends when they come to visit.. (Well, at least friends who are interested in old tools!) This should give you something to do while your foot heals up!

Roger

Attachments

Roger B

Roger B

CORRECTION

As many of you probably noticed, I got my brain screwed up and started calling BWH "Tom".. Somehow I had him confused with Pumper54. Don't ask me how, 'cause I haven't the faintest idea.. All I can blame it on is old age, I haven't got any other excuses..

I have begged BWH's forgiveness via a PM.. It's the best I can do.. Well, that and eat crow here in public... Mmmmm, crow . . . Good!!

I admit it, I'm a dumb-&ss...

Roger

B

bertsmobile1

Hmmmm, that sounds like a motorcycle accident to me! One of my cousins was married to a guy that had done exactly that!! (Only some of his leg was gone too!) He was also an airplane mech and a drunk.. Not necessarily in that order.

I had one fairly 'decent' motorcycle accident that made me paranoid about riding.. After it, every time I found myself on back roads with the wind in my hair (I had more hair back then) I would envision some little old half-blind, 'blue-hair' backing out of her driveway around every corner and eventually that got to me. I haven't owned a bike since.

Roger

Don't apologise to me. I aint yer mar.
People are either motorcyclists or not.
Yes it was a motorcycle collision.
I hate the word accident, that is what happens when your toddler or granny can not get to the can fast enough.

Collisions have a cause , happened for a reason and some on was at fault, it not multiple parties and something has to be done to rectify it.
But yes sideswiped a truck at 105mph and I won't do that again.
Given a paper on acoustic emmissions, allowed to much time for questions as it was a brand new technology at the time .
I should not need to tell a submariner that metals make noises when they are under pressure and these noises can be used to tell if a structure will fail in sufficient time to come up from 1000 ft with safety.
Any way we finished early, so we retired to a bar, I had a couple, way under the limit , but enough to cloud the judgement, went in to a sweeper too close , full peg scraping lean & naturally came out wide, too wide.

So yes my fault & that was the last time I even sat on a bike after having a drink. Collisions have a cause.
And I was dead when the ambulance turned up, died again in casulty and a third time on the table.
Looks like neither of them wanted me.

OTOH I read a short story by Prof Falco ( art of the motorcycle fame, not bikie story fame ).
It starts off along the lines " little did I know when dad came home with that scooter that for the remainder of my like all of my closest friends would be motorcyclists "
All of my friends are motorcyclists and in fact it is 7am Saturday morning & in 90 minutes 6 of the said same friends are popping in & then we are off for a little 100 mile run.

BWH

BWH

Roger B

No worries, Just enjoy our conversations, heck the pain killers I'm taking sometimes I'm not reading too straight myself. Wow that is a beautiful picture looking out the back door, not too many views like that around my property.

Bertsmobile1,

Thanks for the elevation tip I'll give it a shot. I do get tired of the whole pillow thing, with the sound of your injury your somewhat of an expert? your right on the blood rush when you lower the leg that can be horrible.

Yea I was storing garden hoses for the winter when my extension ladder slipped out and I rode it down 6' on the rungs. Fractured my heal off along with two other fractures of that bone. It was three weeks before they scheduled the surgery. I think it had started healing together before surgery and had to be re-broke to align and screw & plate. Never the less after the first three weeks it actually was fairly pain free. This second time around it is twice as painful.

BWH

B

bertsmobile1

They had my bed on 18" blocks (tallest in the hospital ) then inverted a chair on the bed & strapped my leg to it.
Traction would have been a lot more comfortable but I was up ( sort of ) and on at least 1 leg is 2 weeks.
I have some Jobst stockings ( stuff the people with bad veins wear ) and I slip one on in the morning before the leg gets lowered.
When I am ready to start work, the stocking comes off.
This seems to work fairly well as i was scheduled to have it removed around age 50 and I am getting close to 70.

Gees a 3 week wait, makes me very glad I was fortunate enough to be born down here .
Good luck and drop the pills as son as you can manage.
I had some physco therapy for pain management and rarely touch the stuff I have on perscription in the cabinet.
Could sell it on the black market & fund the retirement.
In reality not much pain relief & made me real clumsey.
Sedatives are a different thing.
You really only heal while you are asleep so lots of Ice cream and early bed.
Not too bad floating in a little brandy.

Roger B

Roger B

Health - Etc.....

Geez, I'm sitting here feeling pretty d&mn good about how lucky I've been after reading the last two posts. Worst thing I've done is mangle two fingers on each hand (at two different times) with two different routers. I learned that when you went to shop class in school and they told you to keep your hands away from rotating machinery, they weren't kidding! Especially machinery with sharp blades rotating at 30K RPMS!

Roger

Attachments

Roger B

Roger B

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Yeah, I know it's the wrong kind of tractor to post here, but I shuffled the Bolens off on the kids to repair..

Merry Christmas to all....

Roger

Attachments

BWH

BWH

Roger B That's a cool picture.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Boobala

Boobala

Wishing ALL a MERRY CHRISTMAS and ..... we are finally gonna have a GREAT !!! New Year !!
Please be safe and thoughtful ........throughout through this Holiday Season ......... Boobala

.SUPER SANTA.jpg

The "ol boy" is gettin that new sleigh ready .........it won't be long now !! ..:cool2:

Roger B

Roger B

View attachment 30653

The "ol boy" is gettin that new sleigh ready .........it won't be long now !! ..:cool2:

Boo-Boo,

Man you've got a thing for small packages with V-8 engines in them! From lawn mowers to sleighs!

Bert's sent me a complete manual on the QT-1600 Bolens. Now all I have to do is figure out how to copy it all (8MB) onto a memory stick so the guys can have it at their disposal. Or maybe I'll just print it out! I called this morning and let them know I had it. They were all excited..

Temps going down to zero over night here for the next couple of days, shouldn't get that cold right along the coast, probably in the single digits though.

Stay warm!!

Roger

Roger B

Roger B

Roger B That's a cool picture.

BWH - Which picture, the Christmas one, or the one of my fingers all chewed up?? . . . LOL

Thanks buddy, I'm just yankin' yer chain...

Merry Christmas to you and yours...

Roger

B

bertsmobile1

Boo-Boo,

Man you've got a thing for small packages with V-8 engines in them! From lawn mowers to sleighs!

Bert's sent me a complete manual on the QT-1600 Bolens. Now all I have to do is figure out how to copy it all (8MB) onto a memory stick so the guys can have it at their disposal. Or maybe I'll just print it out! I called this morning and let them know I had it. They were all excited..

Temps going down to zero over night here for the next couple of days, shouldn't get that cold right along the coast, probably in the single digits though.

Stay warm!!

Roger

If you don't have a PDF editor, hit the print button, then select one section in the print range and save as a PDF.
Just remember the pages are numbered from 1 to whatever so the first page is the Dealer nation advert.
Most of the mower parts are the same as on the GT series which is why that was included so they will really need all 3 files.
Whoever scanned them did a good job with white point adjustment & bleed through but the page orientation is shocking .
I did try to print out a copy but the edges kept on getting chopped off so it is one of "those" projects to open up every page in an editing app and correct the skew.

Four years ago when I bought the repair run, I thought I had all the info I would even need on an old laptop with a 20gig disc and a 4 drawer filing cabinet of paper copies .:confused3:
I now have an old mac in the workshop with a very long ethernet lead from the main computer 275 Gig latter I am still adding to it daily , the second cabinet is nearly full and I still spend a few hours per day chasing up IPLs. :thumbdown:

Boobala

Boobala

Boo-Boo,

Stay warm!!

Roger

Roger .. if you ever opened the cowlings of a jet engine mounted on the plane you would realize jet eng. mechs. are well known for their ability to get 25 lbs. of poop in a 5 lb. bag !! REALLY !!! Submariners are so used to having all that "dancing-room" in those wide open sewer pipes they travel around so sneakily in .. ( LOL ) ..:laughing: ..:cool2: ..

Roger B

Roger B

hit the print button, /QUOTE]

Bertman, That's what I did! All 94 pages! My damn printer ran out of black ink around section 3, but it continued to print in a nice blue, so I let it keep going. Then I hand punched each page three times and we made up a note book that I stenciled BOLENS on the front cover and back spine of. Gonna give it to Boy-san for Christmas! (Am I cheap or what?!) He'll be tickled pink! Thanks again!

Roger

Roger B

Roger B

Submariners are so used to having all that "dancing-room" in those wide open sewer pipes they travel around so sneakily in .. ( LOL ) ..:laughing: ..:cool2: ..

DANCING ROOM!! You gotta be kidding! If you just stood up straight real quick in one of the old diesel boats I served on, you'd knock yourself cold! I was 5'10" when I was younger and I still walk around with a stoop!

Talk about engines! The USS Trout SS-566, had not one, not two, but THREE diesel engines all in the same engine room! That's in a boat with a 27-foot beam and that's the exterior measurement, including ballast tanks! (She was probably less than 18'-20' inside the hull!) Originally she had GM pancake engines, the same as several other boats in her class, which were a miserable failure and were eventually replaced with FM 10's. The GM engines failed so often that the submarine service made up a poem about that class boat. It went: "Harder, Darter, Trigger, Trout, always in and never out." Most of the problems were caused by oil leaks. Those GM engines were rotary, sort of like old airplane engines, but stood vertically on their ends, with the generator mounted below the engine. The damn things leaked oil so badly the generators were constantly shorting out. Not good in a diesel/electric propulsion system.

When you talk about "Dancing Room", you're thinking about nukes.. I never served on a nuke. They actually make fresh air and all the water you can drink on those things! They didn't call diesel boats "Sewer Pipes" because they smelled nice! We never made enough water to use it frivolously, like for taking showers and stuff.. We were a 'nasty' bunch at best.. "Deep Diving, Death Defying, Steely-Eyed Killers", to the core.. but nasty dirty..

Roger

Boobala

Boobala

DANCING ROOM!! You gotta be kidding! If you just stood up straight real quick in one of the old diesel boats I served on, you'd knock yourself cold! I was 5'10" when I was younger and I still walk around with a stoop!

Talk about engines! The USS Trout SS-566, had not one, not two, but THREE diesel engines all in the same engine room! That's in a boat with a 27-foot beam and that's the exterior measurement, including ballast tanks! (She was probably less than 18'-20' inside the hull!) Originally she had GM pancake engines, the same as several other boats in her class, which were a miserable failure and were eventually replaced with FM 10's. The GM engines failed so often that the submarine service made up a poem about that class boat. It went: "Harder, Darter, Trigger, Trout, always in and never out." Most of the problems were caused by oil leaks. Those GM engines were rotary, sort of like old airplane engines, but stood vertically on their ends, with the generator mounted below the engine. The damn things leaked oil so badly the generators were constantly shorting out. Not good in a diesel/electric propulsion system.

When you talk about "Dancing Room", you're thinking about nukes.. I never served on a nuke. They actually make fresh air and all the water you can drink on those things! They didn't call diesel boats "Sewer Pipes" because they smelled nice! We never made enough water to use it frivolously, like for taking showers and stuff.. We were a 'nasty' bunch at best.. "Deep Diving, Death Defying, Steely-Eyed Killers", to the core.. but nasty dirty..

Roger

OK..OK ..OK ROG ..... I was just twistin your ..uh......."needle-valve" (LOL ) Actually I had a Loooonng discussion with a submariner once , I THOUGHT he had HUGE spherical objects...but then I concluded he had Poop for brains
NOW if you believe that ....Damn ...am I an instigater or what ?? Seriously ... I totally respect & admire all branches of our military ...God Bless em all !

Roger B

Roger B

I had a Loooonng discussion with a submariner once , then I concluded he had Poop for brains
- (Taken somewhat out of context.)

Boo-Boo,

As you have so succinctly noted, it may have occurred to you that having "poop" (poop - really??) for brains might just have been a prerequisite for joining the diesel boat Navy in the first place!

When we went to Sub School (New London, CT) there was a shrink who tested us and looked all the world like Gyro Gear-Loose with a little of Albert Einstein thrown in for good measure. He had a wild storm of white hair flying around his head and being a shrink, was, of course, as crazy as a sh*t house mouse! He'd ask us germane questions, like, "If you were cast away on a deserted island with your mother, would you have sex with her?" We couldn't figure out how that related to submarine life, but then none of us had been to sea yet either.. LOL.. .. .. .. For instance: One boat I was on had a cook we called "Mother Savino"... So as you can see, you just never know!

I would like to point out that at least we had appropriate O2 levels to breath, (most of the time) whereas fly boys were often in the stratosphere where oxygen is rarified at best.. And where brain damage is a real possibility!

I think as far as brains are concerned, "poop" is better than scrambled eggs, unless you're having breakfast..

Roger

S

SeniorCitizen

In my opinion, with some evidence to back it, this original topic has gone to SHUT.

Boobala

Boobala

In my opinion, with some evidence to back it, this original topic has gone to SHUT.

OK senior..... I agree , BUT you can always "change the channel" .. sorry for a couple of vets havin some fun at everyone else's expense. However ...... if you can't pull your head out of your poop-chute and join in on the laughs we enjoy ..... you might be having a "roids" issue ....try some Preparation H !! .... I wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS & a HAPPY NEW YEAR !! ..Boobala ..:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

P.S. Senior Citizen ...... I just turned 70 on Dec. 14th, ..... only 30 more to go before I can say , I slept approx 1/4th of my life away ....the other 3/4s I tried to laugh as much as possible...beats the HELL out of a safespace with coloring books n play-dough.

Roger B

Roger B

Ahhh geeez, Senior.. I knew it was going to happen.. It's my fault and I apologize.. I should have shut the topic down when I turned the Bolens over to #1 Son to work on...

Ya gotta admit though, some of these guys are humorous to converse with and others always teach you something.. .. .. but then there's Boo-Boo.. .. .. However, I don't feel he can help himself, he lived for far to long in a rarified atmosphere and has suffered some sort of mental impairment.. (I understand it is common among flyboys) I was hoping that including him in our daily posts would be beneficial to him and make him feel loved and appreciated. I know it's done me a world of good!

But - - - Senior says: So I'm outta here...

Signing off..

Roger

Boobala

Boobala

Ahhh geeez, Senior.. I knew it was going to happen.. It's my fault and I apologize.. I should have shut the topic down when I turned the Bolens over to #1 Son to work on...

Ya gotta admit though, some of these guys are humorous to converse with and others always teach you something.. .. .. but then there's Boo-Boo.. .. .. However, I don't feel he can help himself, he lived for far to long in a rarified atmosphere and has suffered some sort of mental impairment.. (I understand it is common among flyboys) I was hoping that including him in our daily posts would be beneficial to him and make him feel loved and appreciated. I know it's done me a world of good!

But - - - Senior says: So I'm outta here...

Signing off..

Roger

Well, if Rogers jumpin ship....I'm bailin out !! us military guys cover each others back ....NO MATTER which branch they're in /from. We might spar with each other ... but thats an excuse to sharpen our skills and Party-Hardy afterwards ... My apologies also ..... SORRY if anyone took offense ....Boobala ....( Boo-Boo as Rog calls me )

S

Swede57

Nope, I guess there isn't an Onan forum... What's with that? Onan made great small engines in their day..

Anyway, progress has been made.. First the muffler had to be removed to gain access to the points. That was not easy. I had to beat the two fittings on the muffler off the exhaust pipes. A little "Kroil" helped in loosening them up. Turning the key to "Start" and watching the points immediately indicated one problem, the points were not opening and closing. I didn't bother to look up the correct setting, I just readjusted them until they opened and closed. Then I pulled the spark plugs, one gap was almost non-existent, the other looked a little too tight, so again I didn't look up the correct gap, I just opening both of them up until they looked about right. I connected the sparkplug wires and laid one plug on the engine and cranked it over.... Nice strong spark, firing evenly too. However when I reinstalled the plug and cranked the engine, still no start. So I pulled both plugs and dribbled some gasoline into each cylinder and reinstalled the plugs. This time when I hit the key the engine started right up, but didn't keep running. I removed the air cleaner cover and squirted some gas directly into the carb while cranking the engine. It started and continued to run as long as I squirted gas in... Ah Ha! Now we know we have a fuel problem. I'll tackle that tomorrow.

Roger
be very careful with that Onan engine. Bolens only had that engine for 3 years and that is why they went to the Kohler. They was a problem with the engine firing when it shouldn't. I am one of the victims who received severe burns from that engine misfiring and it ended up in a court case.