Ventrac 3223D buying decision... advice/input appreciated

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Ventrac 3223D buying decision... advice/input appreciated
Just my opinion, but I believe the strobe and rear work light are well worth the $
I believe if you have the strobe the SMV sign is not required (may be different in different states). I also hope you got the ROPS - they now have folding and non-folding versions.
The 12V is a lighter type plug inside the work box and is handy for many things. My spreader plugs in to broadcast contents and an air compressor is handy sometimes.

Ventrac

Threads
Congratulations on the new purchase marnett!
We hope you enjoy your new unit and that we can get some snow soon so you can try it out :laughing:
We are always glad to hear that customers enjoyed their experience with their dealer as well. Filling out a survey after you receive your 4226D is a good way to let us and your dealer know how you felt with their service and our product. Let us know what you like, don't like, etc. Dealers get to see the results of the survey and they are always glad to see how they did :thumbsup:
Definitely give us a call or send me a pm about getting a factory tour set up, we always love taking people around the factories!
@BKBrown
The non-folding ROPS roll-bar is standard on our 4000 series tractors. The 3000 series does not have a rollbar unless the roll cage is purchased, so in this case marnett will definitely be receiving a roll-bar :smile:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I had stopped to turn my brain on :rolleyes: I would have remembered that with the 4000 series that it was only a choice of folding or solid ROPS.
I use my Strobe all the time and both front and rear lights whenever I'm on the road. I did move my Strobe down below the ROPS because my shed door would need to be raised to allow it into the shed.
I promote VENTRAC every chance I get ! :thumbsup:
Congratulations on the new purchase marnett!
@BKBrown
The non-folding ROPS roll-bar is standard on our 4000 series tractors. The 3000 series does not have a rollbar unless the roll cage is purchased, so in this case marnett will definitely be receiving a roll-bar :smile:

Ventrac

Threads
ROPS - I have some slopes that run 15-18 degrees. I am sure the 3223D can handle them, but I learned from my experience that I like the ROPS to give me something to hang onto sometimes and I definitely prefer the feeling of being firmly belted to the seat.

We just came out with a new video explaining our weight transfer system. Hopefully your dealer explains it to you, but this is still a helpful tool for any Ventrac owner! :thumbsup:
The last minute and a half explains a few different uses of it besides just safe slope operation.
Ventrac Weight Transfer Explained - YouTube

marnett

Threads
Great advice from everyone. I had my dealer add the rear 12V kit, which apparently adds the 12v plug in the storage console and an additional 4-pin plug. I ordered a mini Whelen magnetic-mount strobe for plowing duty. May add the Ventrac light kit later if the need becomes apparent. I won't be using the strobe (or v-blade for that matter) much with the pitiful snow season being what it is so far.

I've had several Steiner owners warn me about getting stuck around an object such as a pole or fence post. They tried to explain it best they can, but I am not visualizing it well. They mentioned mowing too close to a pole, getting stuck with the pole in the center of the tractor near the articulating joint, and needing some outside assistance to pull the rear of the tractor away from the object. Can anyone clarify this for me? I realize I need to get some seat time and that will help me understand it. May be some practice with cones with make it clear.

I checked out the newest video on weight transfer. Thanks for pointing it out. It was very educational and well done.

Delivery is tomorrow. I'll be off all day familiarizing myself with the 4226D if all goes well.

Slater

Threads
I've had several Steiner owners warn me about getting stuck around an object such as a pole or fence post. They tried to explain it best they can, but I am not visualizing it well. They mentioned mowing too close to a pole, getting stuck with the pole in the center of the tractor near the articulating joint, and needing some outside assistance to pull the rear of the tractor away from the object. Can anyone clarify this for me? I realize I need to get some seat time and that will help me understand it. May be some practice with cones with make it clear.

Yea, the current snow season has been downright pitiful. Since you are getting it tomorrow you may get the chance to plow a very very small amount tomorrow or Saturday :laughing:

I have never had any problems with getting stuck around an object (either my 3223D or the 4000's that I have driven), but I have seen my neighbor do it with his Steiner and it was easily avoidable (he was a new operator, hasn't done it since.)
Let's make it simple so it's easier to describe/visualize, so assuming no attachment.
View the second shot in the gallery on the right side HERE
Imagine getting a pole right between the top joint in the articulation there by the operators left knee. Now it still shouldn't be a huge problem, but I think people get into this situation because they are on a slope (going sideways) or maybe there is a hole that slides them sideways. If the operator is trying to mow really really close to that pole and are on a decent sized slope, or a wet slope, they can drift down around that pole (assuming the bottom of the slope is towards the top side of the photo), so gravity is pulling the tractor over the pole. Now turning the wheel might just make it worse and make you slide further over that pole. If the pole is on the top side of the slope, there isn't any way to get stuck if you mow it from the bottom side so gravity is always taking you away from it.

Maybe I just explained it worse :confused2: but essentially due to the weight of the mower, if you are mowing sideways on a slope your mower deck is probably always slightly higher up on the hill and the tractor wheels are slightly lower on the hill because the tractor has to push it up a little bit to keep it level, so if you skim an object with your mower, then most likely your back end is going to get caught up.
Really if you know how to operate it there should be no way to wrap yourself around an object and not be able to get yourself back off of it unless you did so on a slope, which in that case you just need to be more careful when you mow on the slope and maybe do it a little different than you normally would.
Simple solutions/options if you come across an object on a hill and it is "below" you so gravity could take you into it:
1. Don't trim as close as you normally would on level ground.
2. Run the mower deck up as close to it as desired, then back away and go a little higher on the hill giving yourself plenty of space (obviously this will vary depending on how extreme the slope is). This is the way I do it and I get as close as I want with the deck, it just takes a split second longer to back up and make a higher cut on the hill.
3. Mow up and down the hill or just mow all of the top sides of obstacles on the slope by going up and down and then mow sideways if you want just avoiding getting too close to the obstacles (which should be easy because you already trimmed the top side by going up and down)
4. Multiple other options I can't think of right now :biggrin:

I would say that my neighbor has bar tires and those do not have very much side traction for sideways slope mowing. So his Steiner slides sideways on his slope more than my 3223D with the Knobby tires because the bar tires don't provide great side traction and bar tires are what you mainly see on Steiners around here. They also don't have a weight transfer system like Ventrac's no matter what they want to tell you :smile: I think you should have better traction on hills, especially using weight transfer and you should have less sliding issues, but you will still need to keep it in mind while mowing.

(Sorry for the rambling! :biggrin:)

Ventrac

Threads
Looks like you should have a little bit of snow to push today marnett :thumbsup:
Not a very nice day for delivery and trying to get accustomed to the unit, but at least you have something to do with it!