Export thread

VALVE ADJUSTMENT on BRIGGS EXPLAINED

Boobala

Boobala

Here's another way of adjusting the valve clearance on a Briggs& Stratton OHV Engine EXPLAINED by TARYL (the Fixes All guy)
fast forward the video to APPROX. 19:min, 10:sec. where his explanation starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWHPHGZAvj4

H

Hexxus

Thanks for this!

Boobala

Boobala

BUMP

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I always just figured that the distance from the edge of the lobe (when closed) was a little different from one side to the other. The TDC technique ensures the cam is allowing the valves to close. Of course, at least 1/3 of the back side of the lobe is going to give you the same clearance on the valve adjustment. But being TDC on the compression stroke, leaves no room for a wrong setting.

I'm not sure about the 1/4" passed TDC. Maybe it's the same as I described above.

Boobala

Boobala

I've used Tarly's method for YEARS ... NEVER a problem, fast N EZZZZZZ !!

Boobala

Boobala

bump

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Yes Boo I agree on that system/way of doing it....... In fact my buddy that i owned a shop with agrees with that...

I invited him to join us on here, but family/quality time is more to him than typing all the time...... Also it's shrimp season down here so his spare time is catching shrimp and crabs to stock his 4 huge freezers.... He might have 5 or 6 freezers by now.... They are a huge family....... Lot's of kids and they are healthy eaters...........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Boobala

Boobala

Yeah Bo, once you do it the way Taryl explains it, ( like we do, ) ya kick yourself in the arse for playin around with TDC and pokin a foreign object down into the cylinder, soooooo much easier !

Boobala

Boobala

bump

Band-aid Kid

Band-aid Kid

Bump
Thanks for the link.

cpurvis

cpurvis

It's close to being correct, but not quite.

Anybody see why?

Boobala

Boobala

It's close to being correct, but not quite.

Anybody see why?

NOT REALLY ! ....... Please enlighten us ! ..:thumbsup:

In fact I just adjusted the valves on my 17.5 Briggs this mornin, using the EZ method ... NO issues.