Using spacers between engine and mower deck

JackBoik

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I bought a new engine (173cc predator) to replace the one that died on my very old Craftmans (model 917-380231) push mower. The problem is that the shaft of the new engine is 2" longer than that of the old engine. Can I use 2" metal spacers between the engine and the mower deck to compensate for the longer shaft? Is a 2" gap unsafe (do I risk get hit by rocks or other debris that is projected through the gap by the blade?)

Thanks for any help

JB

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is what duct tape is for, ask any red neck.

JackBoik

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is what duct tape is for, ask any red neck.

LOL! So what I'm reading is that the idea of spacers isn't all that brainless - maybe I'll drill a few holes in the deck and install a thin metal shield around the gap. Thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your other option is to drill, tap and then cut the crankshaft to length.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your other option is to drill, tap and then cut the crankshaft to length.

Now lets see drill, tap, then cut. Now I know about the long drill bits because I own some, but what about the long tap? Maybe cut first, It would have to be a straight cut then drill, that is if you can find center to drill. It just doesn't sound like a home shop job to me. I would think his spacer job would work much better.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I was just suggesting what authorized dealers are allowed to do when repowering with a new engine. You want to drill before cutting off the crank because the existing hole guides the drill bit. On my taps the shank is smaller diameter than the thread cutting area, so would screw in far enough to rethread at least another inch or two.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I spaced mine 40 years ago they had invented plywood. I cut a plywood doughnut to set the engine on and there wasn't any space to be concerned with.