Export thread

Uphill Battle

R

rossfrank

I have a 2005 Bolen's lawn tractor 17.5 HP. It runs smooth & cuts fine as long as I'm on a PERFECTLY flat piece of my land. Any hill at all, and the thing will barely move forward. There a few hills in the lawn which it will barely climb. If I rock back & forth to help it along or go from side to side a few times, to decrease the grade, it just makes it. Otherwise it comes to a complete stop there no matter what I do. The tires don't spin when it decides the hill is too steep, it happens with or without the blades engaged and it does not lose any engine power/RPM. It just sits there .
I am not really sure where to start looking. I would really appreciate any suggestions I can get. If it's possible that it is a fluid level of some sort, I have not been able to find what fluids there are and where they get drained and refilled. (Other than the oil.)

StarTech

StarTech

Really need the model number to be sure but most likely it has a CVT drive setup and the belts are slipping due to wear.

S

SeniorCitizen

If you have a capable someone to look at the drive belt system while the mower is stalled but still running as it would normally while moving , you may find there are 2 belts on the cvt system but one belt is all that's moving . If so the variable speed system needs to be rehabilitated or replaced with new .

This fellow has no idea what he is talking about but you can get the broad view picture by watching for a minute .

B

bertsmobile1

Actually there is nothing wrong with the video
A bit red neck way of freeing the variator pulley and I would be looking to see why it jambed before the new belts went on.
The variator pulley should be lubed with a dry lubricant , like lithium spray grease or push bike dry chain lube but basically it is correct from start to finish