Upgrading the stock 22hp to a 26hp? Pros/Cons?

Turbodriven

Threads
I've got an Ariens Ikon X 52 that came with a 22hp Kohler Courage motor. And I have a 26hp Kohler Courage sitting in my garage. The motors look identical even down to the shroud. I'm guessing it's just a longer stroke or a slightly bigger bore to get that extra 4hp.

So... stupid question I guess, but is there any advantage to installing a higher hp motor? Would it handle hills better? Go faster? I'm not entirely familiar with how power gets transfered to and from the Hydro pumps/gearboxes when it comes to horsepower. In other words, is max power entirely up to the limits of the hyrdro pumps/gearboxes on these? And therefore even a big block V8 wouldn't make any difference? Can the hydro/gearbox even handle more power. Mower has over 600 hrs on it.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The larger engine will not give any more power hydro drive wise, but it will more power for the mowing deck when cutting heavy grass.

Turbodriven

Threads
The larger engine will not give any more power hydro drive wise, but it will more power for the mowing deck when cutting heavy grass.

Ah, good point. Won't bog down so easily. Makes sense.