Export thread

Ummm....another one.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Found an early '80s 21401P that I'm making a 3-hour round trip tomorrow morning for. I think it's from the original owner, a retired gardener. He couldn't upload pics but he says it's in great shape, needs nothing. He also has 2 other snappers. I talked to him tonight and he sounds like a nice old guy. For $50 it's totally worth it to me. Will post pics when I get it home.

midnite rider

midnite rider

Make some room in the garage, look forward to seeing them. :smile:

Carscw

Carscw

Can't wait to see a pic.
My wife has me on mower buying lock down.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

I sold my 3 non-running push mowers for $60 so I made a little room. Actually I'm surprised my wife agreed to let me go all the way to get it. I got the $ from the 3 I sold...a little more for gas though...but 3+ hours when were really busy with stuff at home. I just hope I don't hit holiday traffic!

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

So I left a few minutes before 5am and it only took an hour to get down there. It is a 1985 21401P with the original 4hp Briggs. We didn't test start it because it was so early and I didn't even care if it started or not but when I got it home it took half a dozen pulls or so and it started right up and runs great. I already put some better steel wheels on the rear axle and it needs a good cleaning...and a rubber cover on the sp lever and a new cover on the speed selector...but it was worth the trip.

image-468399949.jpg

image-4254797929.jpg

image-1184575077.jpg

image-3762649875.jpg

midnite rider

midnite rider

Good find and buy. You will have it looking good in no time. :thumbsup:

reynoldston

reynoldston

Don't know too much about Snapper so what I say doesn't mean much. Looking at the picture the grass shoot must go into a bagger? The only thing I wouldn't care for is the muffler going back into the operator. Is that a stock exhaust system? Being in the repair trade and working in enclosed shops for many years I am very sensitive to exhaust fumes and something like that would bother me.

Carscw

Carscw

Very nice.
Looks to be in good shape

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

No that muffler is not stock, although it doesn't sound any different from others with the standard one. Be that as it may, I will find an original muffler to replace it with. The mower shop is purging its boneyard next month so sometime this month I'll go down there and grab some parts mowers.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

I was searching around eBay for mufflers and I came across a bunch of the type that's on there. Maybe that was original equipment on some. Not sure, I've just never seen one before.

I hope to find time soon to clean it up. Nothing major, no paint just a good cleaning. Glad it runs as good as it does, he said it hadn't been started in a couple years.

M

Mow Joe

Like this one.

The original muffler for your mower would have looked like this one.

Muffler for 4 HP Briggs Stratton Vert Engine 394664 391492 | eBay

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Did that come on ones that old? I thought they were round. My '98 snapper had one that looked like that one.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

I was thinking it was this

image-3420083665.jpg

midnite rider

midnite rider

The original muffler for your mower would have looked like this one.

Muffler for 4 HP Briggs Stratton Vert Engine 394664 391492 | eBay

I was thinking it was this

View attachment 18471

I have both types on my Snappers. Either way the exhaust fumes are still directed towards the operator. There are deflectors sold that may be adapted though such as this one.

Attachments

M

Mow Joe

I was a dealer back then. The 3.5 HP usually had the round, screw-in type. The 4 HP usually had the flat one, using three bolts. Both needed a deflector, and on bagger equipped models there was yet another piece to keep the bag from touching the muffler during dumping.

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Ok cool. Thanks for that info. I definitely want to find that deflector then too. Maybe I'll hit up the mower shop Thursday and get a jump on this.

S

shawnkajla

the person who he sold the 3 mowers is me :D got 2 running already

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I sold my 3 non-running push mowers for $60 so I made a little room. Actually I'm surprised my wife agreed to let me go all the way to get it. I got the $ from the 3 I sold...a little more for gas though...but 3+ hours when were really busy with stuff at home. I just hope I don't hit holiday traffic!

the person who he sold the 3 mowers is me :D got 2 running already

Really? That's pretty cool! It's a small (Snapper) world!

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Hey cool! Glad to hear that! I knew we had something in common. Hope to see pics of others u have too sometime.

S

shawnkajla

haha igot the self propelled one running the same day and im gettin somethin from the 2 cycle. my dad really wants the honda workin lol

S

shawnkajla

this is my usual

Attachments

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Wow that's great! Ya that 2cycle is cool, definitely one of my favorite. Nice pair there too, 21355P on the one in back? One question though - instead of using string to keep the engine-kill handle compressed, how about removing it altogether?

S

shawnkajla

lol my dads wierd he likes those with the string. do you know any more about the 2 cycle or the honda? just out of curiosity

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Honda I'm totally clueless on. The wisconsin robin 2cycle I know about a little more. Parts are mainly on eBay since those engines have been out of production since the early-mid '90s. The Mikuni carbs need to be kept clean so I'm told as well as the air filter. They need to breathe. There's even a k&n filter on eBay for it that's about $30. More air flow. I still mix mine at 32:1 even though the fuel mix today is better than it was back in the '80s. Some guys running synthetic even mix it at as thin as 100:1 but I prefer to keep it rich. That's about my extent on that...other than it sounds awesome and smells great!

S

shawnkajla

lol ive been tryn to get it to start :( nothin

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

I only got it running one time with starting fluid. Ran good too. Left it running for a few minutes idling up and down. Then wouldn't start after that.