UK Tecumseh bvs mower needs ID and carb adjusting

benawhile

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello
I have a UK bought Mountfield Empress 16 mower with a Tecumseh BVS R 153 engine with some Italian words printed in various places, like on the carb float.
There is a four position hand control, Choke, Fast/Hare, Slow/Tortoise, Stop. There is no primer pump.
THe problem was it would only run on full choke, so I took apart the carb and found muck in it, cleaned out and cleaned the fuel tank. At first it wouldn稚 run any better, so I tried changing the carb settings, which were disturbed anyway when I took off the carb. I don稚 know if I made any difference, but suddenly it started to run OK.
I have not been able to find a manual for this, and from some old US Tec sites still in existence I cannot be sure if there is a different US number for this engine. One old US Tecumseh website doesn稚 list any BVS model number.

Full number on the engine plate seems to be
BVS R 153 ES E-41007B and another 6 digit number which is"3 8 or S"93"4?"1D

Although it seems to run OK, what I would like to know is how to adjust the carb settings properly.
The linkage and control mounting plate is adjustable relative to the carburettor body, as the screw holes in the plate are slotted to allow a quarter to half inch movement backwards and forward.
There are two throttle stops, one to limit the opening and one to limit the closure. I don稚 see why the closure would be limited, surely the engine would stop if the throttle were fully closed only, or doesn稚 it work like that?
There is another adjustment screw in the side of the carb body, which reminds me of an idle air bleed screw from my old Zenith auto carbs. It seems to affect running speed.

I would like to get a manual but don稚 know how to cross reference to get the US model number. If the manual is unavailable, what is the correct way to adjust these and is there anything else I should know?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why would you want to change the adjustments if it is running OK. That is what the adjustments are for.

benawhile

Forum Newbie
Threads
Although it is running, I am not at all sure that it is correctly set. There may be too much gas in the mixture or too little, and I am not sure if the running speed is correct. Also it occasionally fails to shut down properly.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. :smile:

benawhile

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi
Thank you for the welcome
I thought I had put it in the small engine forum, where had I put it?