Two different flywheels on a Briggs 6.75 Quantum

JBtoro

Threads
Have a Blade Brake Toro Personal Pace with a piston & cylinder scored Briggs 6.75 Quantum. My thought is to replace that engine with an older rebuilt 6.75 off a Troybilt with a rotted deck. In order to retain the blade brake feature, I have swapped the crankshaft from the Troy to the Toro successfully. So far, so good. But what I discovered is that the Toro w/ the blade brake has a heavy cast iron flywheel whereas the Troy, without a blade brake, utilizes a lighter aluminum flywheel. Anyone know why a Briggs 6.75 Quantum would have cast iron on the Toro vs. aluminum on the Troy? Does it have to do with the blade brake, I wonder?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
They can get by with a light flywheel because the blade acts as a flywheel and on the bbc it has to have the heavy flywheel so it will run. With no blade on it, it will kick back and not run.

JBtoro

Threads
They can get by with a light flywheel because the blade acts as a flywheel and on the bbc it has to have the heavy flywheel so it will run. With no blade on it, it will kick back and not run.
Thanks.That's it alright.The engine turns at full rpm even though the blade has stopped turning. Similar to a pressure washer where the pump exerts nowhere near the rotational force of a lawn mower blade.