turns and tire marks

itchy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Currently we cut around 8 acres it is all hills and lots of trees. I bought a zero turn Lastec with a 33 hp engine. I would love this mower if I had flat grounds, the slopes just make it tough. The tires will also make more, than I like, ground disturbance shredding grass and soil leaving bare spots. How will the Ventrac do in tight circles. I would probably have the dual wheel set up. The articulated front mower would be the mower of choice. I may be forced to use two mowers one for narrow for semi trim work and the other wider cut for more open area. Can single tires be turf and then add the knobbies on for traction when double? Each corner would have one turf and one knobby. How much difference is there in ground disruption between the turf and the knobbies. Input on tight turns and gro If anyone knows of a dealer that would accept a trade in please advise, I am in southwestern Indiana.

Slater

Threads
I personally think the Ventrac's turning radius is pretty good, BUT you are comparing it to a zero turn. So for the type of tractor it is good, but comparing it to a ZT is like comparing apples to oranges.

From their site the turning radius is 43", I know the dual wheels will add a little to your turning radius because the location of the steering cylinder is changed so the wheels won't rub.

How steep are your hills? If you are really worried about turf damage I would just get the turf tires all around, no need to get turfs on the inside and knobbies on the outside, you'll still stick to the hills great. On the flipside if you will be going in a lot of areas that are muddier or you are trying to pull a lot of things and you want that extra traction and minimize any possible wheel slipping, then the knobbies are a better option. I think you will be surprised at how good the knobbies are at not tearing up turf.

Go to Ventracs site and type in your zip code to see who your nearest dealer is. Mine gave demo's and that is what you need. If your dealer is too far, then maybe you could call the factory and see if they have a factory sales rep in the area sometime to demo? Always worth a shot and that is how you'll figure out if it really works for your situation.
Good luck! :thumbsup:

DonUp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use a ventrac with duals and a 72 in deck to mow a large church with a row of 8-10 foot pine trees up a hill along the end of the property. I do a figure eight in and out of the trees in low gear with no turf damage. This row of trees is about 400 feet long and takes very little time to finish. :thumbsup:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The standard Field Trax tires do very little to no damage on turf even on tight turns - the rer wheels / tires follow the front because of the articulating frame.

I'm sure that Ventrac will be able to set up a demo, especially if there is a dealer or rep anywhere near you. Be prepared to order after the demo (you will be sold). :thumbsup: :biggrin:

As noted, the Ventrac to Zero Turn comparison is apples to oranges, but I beleve you will be impressed with the agility of turning and forward to reverse for a large machine and ability to pick different mowing decks.

itchy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies. I was able to demo the 4231td yesterday. It is pretty impressive. I currently have a Kubota 3010 I use to bush hog and a Lastec 3372 zero turn. I believe the Ventrac will do everything I want it to do except the bush hogging. I was hoping to trade the Lastec and Kubota to afford the Ventrac. The demo dealer was not interested in my Lastec and I will have to keep the Kubota for bush hogging so as impressed as I am with the Ventrac it may have to be put on hold. Want to put up the Lastec for sale but if I sell it and have to wait for the Ventrac I could get into a mess. Nothing is easy. In regards to the tire marks the demo unit had knobbies on it. I got it in a bind on a hill that has a large rock wall. I got to close to the rock and could not make a turn out of it and let the dealer guy to it. It required lots of forward and backups with turns. It did disturb the grass and soil but not as bad as the Lastec would have done. I have a mound of dirt that is used as a bullet stop when mowing it I now slide down the back side with the Lastec. With the Ventrac I could not only stop I could back up on the backside of the mound. I think I would be very happy with the Ventrac for overall mowing and with the blade some earth moving and general use. It was surprising how expensive the attachments are. I wanted the Vac system but 9,000 I think the cyclone behind the old(dad's) John Deere will have to do. The power rake is also a wanted item but over 6,000 it may have to wait. The v blade seems to be the only soon to acquire attachment. (Has anyone had experience using the v blade?) For now I will continue to shop for a diesel Ventrac (used with low hours), or a new one (desired) from a dealer who will take my Lastec. Again thanks for the replies they got me to pursue the demo.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just FYI There are 2 options on the Ventrac for bush hoging - Their Tough Cut mower deck and I have used the Meg-Mo blades on the finish cut mower deck - they do a great job and the knives kick back like bush hog blades if you hit anything. :thumbsup:
Meg-Mo Blades 2.jpg These are the Meg-Mo blades on the Ventrac deck.