Trying to reassemble bagger...where does this spring connect!?

nate81

Threads
  • / Trying to reassemble bagger...where does this spring connect!?
I'm going absolutely craaaazy trying to fix this simple little problem! Here is the details...

I have an early 90's model john deere 320 lawn tractor...i took the bagging assembly off about 2 seasons ago and now i'd like to reattach it, but the problem is...i have a spring (about 1" round...and 3-4" long) and i cannot find where to attach it! This bagger is the type that has the belt driven 'blower' to help assist the debris into the bags....

here is the spring

this is where the bagger attaches to the deck

and a closer view

Thanks!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just looking at the pictures... It appears that the bottom idler pulley swivels and the arm with the notch would be pulled by the spring to tighten the belt ... BUT I think you have the belt on the deck pulley routed backwards... that s the belt from the Lower idler should come from the Front of the mower deck & the belt from the back side of the mower pulley should go to the top idler, just lift the belt off the mower pulley and flip it ...
Then if you pull on the arm with the notch, toward the mower deck... it should tighten the belt on the take up side... :smile:KennyV

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i sure looks like it goes on the bottom where that notch is...i guess the bottom is your tensioner....you can see the wear marks on the notch

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kenny's right you need to have the top pulley ride the V and the bottom pulley ride the flat back of the belt

nate81

Threads
i sure looks like it goes on the bottom where that notch is...i guess the bottom is your tensioner....you can see the wear marks on the notch

i know the one end of the spring goes into that notch, but where do i hook the other end? driving me craaazy...

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
we need a picture from underneath:smile:

Mower manic

Threads
You might want to post more pictures and post in the John Deere section.
Also try to get some answers on tractor by net.