Troy Build Mower mode D609G problem with moving

ringgold

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have this old mower that is a 2002 (13CD609G063 model) that was running last summer and then stopped moving and rolling backward down hill. I had been having problems putting it in reverse. It wouldn't go all the way and had to rock it or just give it a little gas and it would pop in gear. This had been going on for awhile. As I was mowing up hill I heard a metal sound and then started rolling backwards. I left it and my cousin came over and put the belt back on. He said the belts were worn out. I purchased the original MTD belts but before I got help replacing them I was mowing down hill and all at once I was going without any pedal, it was like the gas pedal spring was not working. I had to slam on the brake to keep from going off a retaining wall. Again it wouldn't move forward or reverse. The belts were still in place. We replaced the belts but they were very loose. We took off a part of the old belt and put on the new so it went on correctly. It mowed but I didn't trust it because of my hills. I felt something must have broken the first time with the metal sound. I had a reputable dealer pick it up and he brought it back and said he had adjusted the gas and brake all the way out and if I had any more problems I needed a new transmission. First time I put it in reverse it went into gear easier than ever but it wouldn't move. I shifted back and forth and rocked it and it moved but was skipping all the way to the shed. Do you think he was correct on the transmission? I am a lady and can't tell you anything technical except I need to trust the mower not to break my neck on these hills. Do you think it is time to replace it? First problem we have had out of it so it has been a good mower.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Used MTD Transaxle 618 0307C 918 0551A 618 0551 | eBay You have several choices here as well as options, have someone replace transaxle with a new transaxle, have someone disassemble transaxle & replace all worn & broken parts, depending on labor may cost more than a new part, or purchase new lawn tractor. Please let us know what you decide, thanks.