Engine Troy Bilt won't keep running!

jjredden

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy Bilt Briggs & Stratton 6.75 hp self propelled mower that's only about 2 years old. It ran great last season and then we moved and it rode on the moving truck tipped up on it's nose for a few days. I had ran the gas dry before we moved but the oil was still in it. There was a big oily mess when we unpacked it. Now that I'm trying to get it running, it will start but idles really low and then eventually quits. I'm using new gas with stabilizer in it, all the oil had ran out so I put new oil in it, I got a new spark plug, I took apart the carburetor and cleaned it and used carburetor cleaner. I also used an engine cleaning additive that you ad to the gas. I think it was a "sta-bil" quick start stuff. What else can I do? I'm trying to avoid taking it to the shop and spending what I could spend to get a new one. It would be great if I can fix it my self. Thanks!

xp14629

Threads
Remove the spark plug. I bet it is oily wet. If so, clean with carb clean and light on fire to burn off the oil. Then pull the rope a few times with plug out. See what comes out. Spray a little carb clean on there and repull till no liquid comes out. Reinstall the plug and try again.

jjredden

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok! I'll try it and post if it works or not. Thank you!

jjredden

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got it working. I tried doing the spark plug stuff and it didn't work. So I decided to try again with the carburetor poking a wire into every hole I could find and adding more carb cleaner and it worked! I guess I just didn't get it good enough the first time. Thanks!

Blue grass

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I to have this problem as at. Changed the gas started once then stalled then nothing at all. So I went and I have cleaned the carb replaced the plug. And it started ran for about 2mins so I figured shut it off then get ready and cut the grass ). K go to started stalls boom now the same everytime. uses the gas in the prime then dies.
I now have the carb back off and see if I can poke around but any other ideas ya guys have since I have this a part and ya cleaned all the holes in the screw as well and I replaced the bowl and seal as the bowl was pitted and it leaked with the old seal. So bought a kit. Anyhow I now am back to trying to do a better cleaning job.

thanks

cilenez

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have this same problem with my mower, minus the oil leak part.
the only way we can get it to start (but not stay running) is to spray ether into the carb.
air filter is clean, spark plug is new, new gas, oil fine. but it will still not stay running.

suggestions?