troy bilt riding mower will not start up

deltajoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a troy bilt riding mower(pony) model 13an77bs011(2017 version). it will not start up.

i have replaced the carburetor, fuel filter, new fuel lines ,vacuum lines, it will not start.

i don’t think it has a visible fuse that i could find..

any help appreciated

joe

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is a fuse some place close to the battery, but if it cranks with the key then the fuse is fine. Have you checked for spark at the spark plug. Or cranked it and then removed the plug to see if it is wet. Have you tried putting a small amount of gas into the carb and then see if it will fire on it.

deltajoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have spark at the spark plug and the plug is a little moist.i have sprayed starting fluid in the air cleaner, it will start but only for maybe 5 seconds. the carburetor does have fuel that has sucked from the fuel tank so it is getting gas. i do not know if it has a run fuse. i have the valve cover off going to check clearance..puzzled. Thanks for your input

Joed756

Threads
You just diagnosed the problem yourself. If you put gas or starting fluid in the carb and it runs for a few seconds, the carb is plugged. Take it off and clean or replace it. The problem can not be anything else.

GearHead36

Threads
You just diagnosed the problem yourself. If you put gas or starting fluid in the carb and it runs for a few seconds, the carb is plugged. Take it off and clean or replace it. The problem can not be anything else.
The OP DID say that the carb, fuel filter, & fuel lines were replaced. I'd look for an obstruction in the fuel tank. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb, and see if fuel flows out of the tank.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Oh but it can. Just did a JD S180 this week that would run with fuel introduced but as soon as it burn it up it dies. Turned out the choke wasn't closing fully for startups. Adjusted the cable and the engine fired right up.