Export thread

Troy Bilt Mustang XP 50" Zero Turn WILL not turn when move forward

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

A 50' ZERO TURN Mower
Mustang XP
After it gets HOT the right side will NOT respond when moved.
I just bought it 300 hrs and now this...
Fatdaddy
731-695--5658
Middle Tenn Lebanon

M

mechanic mark

When did you last service tractor? Read Operators Manual cover to cover.
I would have a Certified Technician inspect & perform maintenance on mower. Read reviews on local mower repair shops in your area.

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

just bought it 3 weeks ago.. Have done nothing to it.. ran it 15 min then it would not respond to my command to turn.. right lever will not turn.
Mine is a ZERO TURN 50" MOWER

B

bertsmobile1

Right lever will not move or mower will not move when the right lever is moved.
If the latter, check the bypass valve on the right transmission

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

after about 15 min of use the right lever will move back and forth but it will NOT MOVE THE MOWER it will not turn it... lever moves fine back and forth.. where is the bypass valve at????if you will do you have a pic..
I did look on EBAY for bypass valve
now Im a old gobbler not to swift
Thanks for your reply

B

bertsmobile1

OK,
If it works fine cold but dies when hot the tranny is bad or has no oil in it which will cause it to go bad
Cheap things first
Clean the transmission and check the fan is there and that the pulley is turning the input shaft
Most are on fine splines and will strip out .

Dose the transmission growl loudly ?

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

No it does not die.. the left side works fine turns the mower. After it gets ran 15min the right side does not work, will not turn the mower...no trans sound....

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

I took to the SHOP turns out the right side after about 25 min the trans box gets HOT Like real hot.. the right side will not move very good. Man said there is no place to drain fluid or put in fluid.. said i would have to get another rt side transmission box? transaxle??

B

bertsmobile1

Well obviously you can drain the fluid & refill because the manufacturer had to fill it in the first place.
There is no drain plug on bottom end trannies
Most tranny makers have manuals & parts break downs on their web site However if the motor or pump is badly scored then changing the oil will be of little use.
Mower companies like to fit "sealed for life" transmissions because if some thing goes wrong with them , it is not their fault & the oner has to take their problems to the tranny makers.
Also they don't need to keep service parts for them .

Most will have a vent some where on the top & on the cheapies this unscrews and will drain the oil out when the unit is inverted , although it might take all day and refilling can take longer .

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

where do i get another one at.. what exactly is it called.?

M

mechanic mark

You will need to locate your model & serial numbers to get started.

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

I will have to SELL it. Im 70 years old paid $1200 for this 2 mos ago 380 hrs... Ill ask $800 tell what's wrong with it see If i can just sell it.. AND move on.. Thanks for all the responses on helping me
David
Lebanon Tenn

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

I put it on Market Place SOLD it for $900.. Guy said he knows a guy who can fix it... Praise BE

F

fixit1ddh

This might help show what the problem can be.

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

Here is a real good one detailed.. SURE glad mine is GONE..

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

I took to the SHOP turns out the right side after about 25 min the trans box gets HOT Like real hot.. the right side will not move very good. Man said there is no place to drain fluid or put in fluid.. said i would have to get another rt side transmission box? transaxle??
You do not have to do this - a warranty shop should replace this for you but it will be a shop authored by the tranny maker unless Troy will come forward ahead of repair. At 300 hours it is a faulty unit from the word go. There is one thing not mentioned. On some units, the bypass can be held open just a tiny bit and when hot, bypassing depletes power but because the bypass is nearly in the closed position, it's imp[act is not recognized as the cause. We found this on one zero turn that had a bunch of holes you insert a hairpin in - one is normal run position, others hold bypass out. The closed position hole was to tight and held the valve open a mere few thousands of an inch, removed the hairpin and the problem was gone.

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

I did sell it as is for $900.. Man said he knew a other man who can fix it.. so Im tickled to death it is gone.. I did lose $300 on the deal but I did LEARN A LESSON..

B

bertsmobile1

If you don't have the expertese to properly check a used mower for faults then you will be best served to buy one from a used machinery dealer that has a warranty.
PArticularly one that sells real tractors or directly from a mowing contractor / golf course / hospital / municipal authority .
Buying privately is always subject to the ethics & morals of the vendor and there are way too many totally dishonest sub human people out there .

And feel free to come here and ask what you should be looking at for weak spots or potential trouble points before you close another deal.
There is a lot of techs & private owners here and between all of them some one should be able to point you in the right direction.
If you choose to do this please let us know what you are mowing , some photos are always a good idea .

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

This problem would have NEVER BEEN FOUND prior to buying it..Unless I did ride it around for 30 min to get real HOT...But so be it, I have screwed a few in my old age...