Export thread

Troy Bilt J830 - replace the wheel height adjustment arm

S

SpaceCadet

I just found this forum during my search for help. I have a Troybilt J830 self-propelled lawn mower (Model # 12AJ836E011) that needs a repair. The wheel height is adjusted by a single lever that controls all 4 wheels. This lever arm has broken off and I'm trying to replace it. I have the new part, but I have run into an issue. I have looked at diagrams of the drive assembly and I think I see how it is put together.

After removing the wheel, there is a spur gear. In the top of this gear is a T-30 screw. I believe it is left-handed, but I am not able to remove it. The shaft will rotate. Is there a trick I'm missing or is the screw "frozen" in place? I have put some WD-40 on it. Assuming I get the screw removed, are there any other pieces that hold it in place? I had removed two clips below the adjustment arm and it released a collar on the underside of the mower deck.

This should be an easy repair, but the spur gear is troublesome.

Thanks for your help.

Terri

I

ILENGINE

Don't remember running across left hand threads when changing those axles. should be right hand thread with the famous MTD locktite on the threads.

S

SpaceCadet

How do you release the locktight? Is it a heavier application of muscle and torque or something else? Is removing the screw on the spur gear the only step needed?

I

ILENGINE

Seems like the last one I did, I had to clamp the drive shaft with something, and use some torque to get the bolt to break loose. I have been a couple years since I did one, so I don't remember the steps to remove the adjustment mechanism.

S

SpaceCadet

Thanks for the info. If you remember anything else about taking the spur gear off of the axle, please let me know. Now, I just need to find a torx bit rather than the screwdriver I have been using.

P

possum

If the screw went on tight with a torx bit then it will need a torx to get it off.

S

SpaceCadet

I was using a T-30 torx screwdriver. I don't have a torx bit to use with my socket wrench. I'm planning to borrow one from a friend.

S

saleen083

I have a Troy Bilt Model 12AJ836E011. It seems to be somewhat the same as the one in this thread. I am trying to replace the height adjuster and got all the way to the axle bearing. I can't get the bearing off to replace the arm. Any advise would be appreciated