Troy-Bilt Horse Engine Swap Question

Nathead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have a Troy-Bilt Horse riding mower, about 5 years old I think, with a blown motor. It had a Kohler Courage 20 or 22 (I'll have to check to be sure which one it was). It has a hydrostatic transmission. How difficult is swapping this engine for another engine from a different mower? I have access to a mower that isn't being used. It is a Huskee mower (not sure about the engine) with a hyrdostatic transmission.

pauly50

Threads
provided you have a engine with equal or slightly better horsepower and torque rating, and same physical size so as it can fit in the enclosure , you will need to think about muffler orientation and outlets, air cleaner placement , any interference when fitting and of course, pto shaft size, length and diameter - and mounting footprint ,clearance of bonnet wiring coupling can be worked out fairly easily - ie briggs to kohler , kohler to kawasaki, both make similar harness adapters for engine repowers- ps note might pay to check alternator and regulator requirements / couplings for old and proposed replacement
note electric clutch mowers require a good charging system - most kohlers will be 15 amp but the newer ones will be 25 amp briggs will be somewhere between 10 and 16 amp depending on model but stick with at least the same rating as the old engine had for things to fall into line , without too much problem

hope this helps pauly50

Last edited: