Export thread

Troy Bilt Horse drive belt keeps coming off

S

semimechanicman

Model:
13WX79KT011

Video of belt jumping off

The drive belt comes off when you press the brake. There is a large space between the light brown pulley and the bolt that is supposed to keep it from coming off. I could use a little help thanks

sgkent

sgkent

C

Chineseenginepos

sgkent

sgkent

don't know but since the drive belt feeds the drive system, and hitting the brake causes it to hop off, I'd be looking at the suspension to see if something is loose or broken.

B

bertsmobile1

First check that the stabilizing arm is attached to the transmission
the arm is there to prevent the transmission canting forward & throwing the belt
I doubt it is the problem , but a check costs nothing .
Second check that the spacer has been put under the pulley
As the belt jumps off the top that suggests the pulley is too low
If it is there pop a couple of washers in under the pulley to see if that fixes the problem

Lastly as the pulley is fixed you can make a belt guard from a piece of flat strap with a right angle bend
It con come from the top but needs to be similar to the one on the moving pulley
It should be about 1/2 way between where the belt enters the pulley & where it leaves the pulley.
Nearly every other mower would have one there but none is shown on the OPL so it looks like MTD is just being cheap .

StarTech

StarTech

13WX79KT011 appears to be a 2012 model. Earlier model versions used two flat idlers.

The belt looks to be the wrong belt. It is critical that you use the correct MTD belt; after market belts will cause problems. The 954-04252 belt is a 4L SEC X 84.17" belt. This is not a "A" section which many after market belts are. You can't just slap any old belt on MTD mower and expect them to work. MTD is unique in this way.

And yes a belt retainer may need to be made and installed on that v-idler.

G

Gord Baker

Seems strange to remove the + battery connection instead of the - one

boodas0121

boodas0121

Model:
13WX79KT011

The drive belt comes off when you press the brake. There is a large space between the light brown pulley and the bolt that is supposed to keep it from coming off. I could use a little help thanks

I watched your video from about a year ago. You had a Troy Bilt Horse and the belt kept jumping off. Mine is doing the exact same thing. Did you find out why yours kept jumping off ? Thank You

G

Gord Baker

Align Pulleys, M'f'g'rs Belt. Check all mounting brackets for Trans.
Be sure you are going around the Idlers correctly.

boodas0121

boodas0121

Model:
13WX79KT011

G

Gord Baker

It appears it is coming off the Front (Engine) Pully. Put 'keepers' beside that pulley/clutch.

boodas0121

boodas0121

Align Pulleys, M'f'g'rs Belt. Check all mounting brackets for Trans.
Be sure you are going around the Idlers correctly.
Everything is correct...It just started happening , I finished mowing one day , parked the mower, and the next time I got on it, it is throwing the belt. Several times I put the belt back on the idler pulleys, I also put a new belt on , and it is still throwing the belt off the idler pulleys. I ordered new pulleys to see if that will help. If you look at Semimechanics video, thats what my mower is doing. Was hoping he would respond, I see him on almost daily, but no response.

G

Gord Baker

Everything is correct...It just started happening , I finished mowing one day , parked the mower, and the next time I got on it, it is throwing the belt. Several times I put the belt back on the idler pulleys, I also put a new belt on , and it is still throwing the belt off the idler pulleys. I ordered new pulleys to see if that will help. If you look at Semimechanics video, thats what my mower is doing. Was hoping he would respond, I see him on almost daily, but no response.
Very puzzling. Is your Engine solidly mounted? Spin each Blade Spindle to be sure the bearings are not locking up. Lay a straight edge across the 4 Pulleys and be sure they are at the same height. Be sure that the springloaded arms on Idler pulleys move freely. Oil them if necessary. Be sure there is sufficient spring tension on the Idler Pulley. It should take some effort to re install that cable in the keeper.