Troy Bilt 19hp will not start

tremendito

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine will turn, gas runs free. Thinking it might be the relay on the carb or the key. Have not tested it yet, should do tomorrow. Any other Ideas?
Thanks for your interest and help

Gilberto

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two way to test the stop solenoid. While touching the solenoid, turn the key to the run position. You should feel the solenoid energize and hear it click. If neither of these occur, your solenoid is either bad or good but not getting power. Before going farther, dump a small amount of fuel into the carb air horn, and try to start the unit. It the unit starts, then go back to the solenoid. If the engine starts, but then dies, it is time to test and/or repair or replace the solenoid. If you post back, please include all model numbers, so we can give you specific instructions on your unit, as our ESP is down due to the weird weather this winter.

tremendito

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the advise. Am going to Orlando tomorrow to check the engine and will definitely try your suggestions.
Will come back with the engine information and let you know.

Thanks so much for your advise, it is appreciated.

Gilberto.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Troy-Bilt forum. :smile:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does the spark plug have a bright blue spark?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
The myth of the bright blue spark means nothing really. It could be all the colours of the rainbow.
A spark plug sparking out of the cylinder will be different as to under compression in the cylinder.
As long as todays coils "spark", (using a spark tester) that is all you need.
Now some manufacturers give you coil readings (like Honda) so you can test the windings.
Also coils can give different readings when hot and cold.

tremendito

Forum Newbie
Threads
The myth of the bright blue spark means nothing really. It could be all the colours of the rainbow.
A spark plug sparking out of the cylinder will be different as to under compression in the cylinder.
As long as todays coils "spark", (using a spark tester) that is all you need.
Now some manufacturers give you coil readings (like Honda) so you can test the windings.
Also coils can give different readings when hot and cold.
Wow!! This is getting technical!!! Love it!!! Thanks for the advise, I will check for that too.:wink:

tremendito

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow!! This is getting technical!!! Love it!!! Thanks for the advise, I will check for that too.:wink:

Ok. Let me start w/ spark. It does have a spark. It is a Kohler 19 Courage Spec is sv590-0017 S/n is 3603332093. It is sold by TroyBilt.

I checked the spark and it had spark, the carb solenoid clicks when on and stops when off.

I took out the carb and cleaned it. I also made sure there was compression on the cylinder. Last time I tried to start it, the motor would turn, would not start. Last thing, I noticed raw fuel smell.

Sooooo!!! What might it be? I do not have a spark tester, so I improvised, I took a spark and widened the gap on the electrodes, and the spark was jumping to the top of it, however I have to say that the spark looked yellow.

Let me know, please.