Repairs Transmission fliud

G1Tech

Forum Newbie
Threads
What kind of oil/fluid do I put in the transmission of my Craftsman LT1000 ride on lawn tractor??

G1Tech

Forum Newbie
Threads
6Sp Manual,....will 75w90 work? It's the same stuff I use in my Hyundai Accent.
Just asking.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
well ....we'll need the year/model/serial numbers of the mower /engine/tranny....i have '98 and '02 like yours and it takes bentonite grease not oil...but lets check it out

Attachments

• IMG_0696[1].jpg
    IMG_0696[1].jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 14

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
the peerless transmission will take bentonite grease. the dana/spicer transmission takes a different grease I think the part number is 4300

G1Tech

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey hey, I used the 75W90 diff fluid and I removed the spring and the ball bearing on the shifter mechanism. This works great!! Shifting on the fly is easy, but you have to make sure you are throttled down if you are starting off in 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th, other than that it works like a charm. In fact, the 75W90 is a little thicker and more sticky than the bentonite grease, really sticks to the gears, although, it appears to be a little more mechanical sounding,....you can hear the gears turning, kinda like a toy.

Thanks.

Trev

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
did it have grease to begin with?...if it did....your going to be leaking like a siv....the seals cant handle oil

G1Tech

Forum Newbie
Threads
I used a silicone based sealer,...a high temperature gasket maker that I use on my exhaust headers on my cars, no leaks possible. I cleaned the entire transmission with a spray brake cleaner, then I wiped it all down with a clean rag, applied the silicone gasket maker,...which is good for 1200`F by the way, then put it all back together, tourqued the bolts to a guess, filled it with fluid, ran it through the paces for about an hour and a half, checked it, no leaks, no problems,.........so far,........I only use this tractor about 2 hours a week any way, I do my lawn with my Kioti CK20S HST. This littl tractor is for the fine trim work on my lawn.
I will let you know how I make out with it though. I believe there shouldn't be any problems, I figured if the 75W90 diff fluid can handle the abuse I put my manual transmission of my accent through, it can handle a 2 hour gentle ride on my tractor.

Trev:smile::laughing::biggrin:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i actually meant the axle seals and pulley seal and shifter lever seal.....but any ways..it sounds like like your on an adventure in mechanics and know the risks of what your doing....hope it works out .....keep in touch....i believe they should have used oil in the first place...it covers more area and when displaced ...can return ....unlike grease:thumbsup:

G1Tech

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I love adventures! As far as the seals go, they are rubber, and as far as I know, they will absorb the diff fluid and swell, increasing their sealing ability,.....that's been my experience anyway.
Thanks for your positive support Reddragon, your the best!