Transaxle Bypass Won't Disengage

tomsariens

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased a new Ariens Ikon 52 and I can't get the transaxle bypass to disengage so I can push the mower. The manual shows that the two levers should be pulled out and over the slots in the frame. I also tried to move the small levers that the thin levers are attached to on the transaxle but they won't disengage. I don't want to break either lever. The dealer wants me to bring the mower to their shop but it's 70 miles away. Any suggestions to save me a long trip will be appreciated. Thank you.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you pull the levers wii they lock into the frame?

tomsariens

Forum Newbie
Threads
No. I can't pull them far enough to lock them into the frame.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bingo.............

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Bingo.............
Why do you need to bring the new mower to the dealer? Is it because the hydro bypass lever will not disengage? If the mower is fine, and needs nothing but the bypass lever to free up, then run it, and worry about it later. Use some PB Blaster on lever point on transaxle, look at it and see if anything is out of place, try hooking a wire on lever for better pulling action. Sometimes they just hang up.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
When we run into one like that we pull them out and lock a pair of vice grips on the lever to old them out . See if that works. Or a ratchet strap will work as well and easier to do .

tomsariens

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for all the advice. I was finally able to pull the levers far enough to fit into the slots in the frame. With lots of PB Blaster, a rubber mallet, and muscle power, the transaxle is in neutral and I can roll my mower. I was worried that I would break the pull levers because they look flimsy and fit so tightly, but everything is fine now. Thanks again for all your help!