Export thread

Trans Cross brace broke. Anyone else?

90b4032

I was looking at my SD 54" the other day and it looked like my right rear wheel was angled slightly inward. I got to looking at it more closely and found that the brace that runs between the transmissions had broken at 2 of the 4 mounting points. I called the dealer and they have an improved replacement brace that Hustler has come out with and it's covered under warranty. This must be somewhat common but I haven't found any info on it. Anyone else have this issue?

Tomster

Tomster

Had this happen but was able to replace bolts and get everything back into place. If this has not happened yet it more than likely will in the future.

K

Kremeneon

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/37006-Raptor-54-SD-problem

Mine broke in the fall and was replaced. I have no proof if it is the old or new part.

90b4032

Got the new brace from my dealer yesterday. It's a beast! I took a pic of it but don't see how to post it. They definitely solved the problem.

Attachments

K

Kremeneon

Got the new brace from my dealer yesterday. It's a beast! I took a pic of it but don't see how to post it. They definitely solved the problem.

scroll down in the reply section to manage attachments and add the photo.

90b4032

scroll down in the reply section to manage attachments and add the photo.

Got it, thanks. I was on the mobile site and it wouldn't give me that option.

T

turboawd

bjo6DWF.jpg

fqiOO3o.jpg

ADwtir0.jpg

M8N1oMs.jpg

xzCmk8C.jpg

Datadave

Datadave

That upgrade looks beefy

K

Kremeneon

What is the part number on that new brace?

I gotta say, it does look beefy, but the welds at the most critical part there look like crappy spot welds and not a full length bond. That will be where it breaks.

Also, why not capture the trans housing on the outside, instead of making the bolt do all the work, let the trans case transfer the force directly to the brace? wierd...

B

BEYTILL

The new part number is 123292. It replaces the old part, 118942.

T

turboawd

those welds aren't going to break. when you see in person, you'll see what i mean.

also, the dealer gave me the bracket for free since there is a service bulletin out on this issue.
i told him i'd prefer to install it myself. he had no problem with that. the kit came with grade 5 bolts. i bought grade 8 instead.

That's a serious brace !! :thumbsup:

This thread got me to check mine on my Toro after I mowed & was under cleaning the deck. Ok here.

A

akcooper9

Thanks for the pictures and the part number. Do you have a copy of the service bulletin by chance?

P

Pumper54

I know nothing what so ever about zero turns but looking at the pictures I am wondering why there is no cross bracing on the rear of the transmissions like there is at the from? Not sure how the transmissions are mounted to the frame but it seems that they are bolted in two places, front and rear with the brace at the front. Is this correct? Just trying to learn something.
Tom

A

akcooper9

I know nothing what so ever about zero turns but looking at the pictures I am wondering why there is no cross bracing on the rear of the transmissions like there is at the from? Not sure how the transmissions are mounted to the frame but it seems that they are bolted in two places, front and rear with the brace at the front. Is this correct? Just trying to learn something.
Tom

They are bolted just as you see in the pictures. No Brace in the back per say but I dont see the need for one either.

K

Kremeneon

those welds aren't going to break. when you see in person, you'll see what i mean.

also, the dealer gave me the bracket for free since there is a service bulletin out on this issue.
i told him i'd prefer to install it myself. he had no problem with that. the kit came with grade 5 bolts. i bought grade 8 instead.

good to know. I called my dealer this morning, they replaced the brace in August with what they thought at the time was a 'new design' but it clearly isn't the one you are showing. They took my info and said they would look around themselves and call hustler about getting the new version into my hands since I'm 25 days out of warranty ( 3 years, but only 108 hours on it). I checked last night and my under 1 year old brace already has some stress cracks at the tabs.

A

akcooper9

good to know. I called my dealer this morning, they replaced the brace in August with what they thought at the time was a 'new design' but it clearly isn't the one you are showing. They took my info and said they would look around themselves and call hustler about getting the new version into my hands since I'm 25 days out of warranty ( 3 years, but only 108 hours on it). I checked last night and my under 1 year old brace already has some stress cracks at the tabs.

Lets hope Hustler takes care of you. My bolts broke and the brace dipped down and bent. I noticed it Monday. Saw this post this morning and have already called the dealer with the issue and upgraded part number. They have a new bracket on order!

This is why I bought from a dealer and not a box store :smile:

K

Kremeneon

Exactly.

A

akcooper9

The upgraded cross brace has not come in yet and I need to mow so I pulled the stock brace off to fix it. It had some cracks in the factory welds that I was able to re-weld. I also had to bend it back into shape so I could re install. The whole R&R was a PITA but Im back in business and ready to mow this afternoon. Having everything bolted tight has re-aligned the rear wheels.

For me, this has been a 'minor' issue and all in all, I'm very happy with my SD54 purchase :thumbsup:

577jersey

OMG that poor Hustler,looks like you are putting it through the ringer..lol :)

My factory brace looks pretty beefy,i just kept it tight and have had zero issues so far..175 hours and big slopes at 185 pounds of meat..lol

K

Kremeneon

Lets hope Hustler takes care of you. My bolts broke and the brace dipped down and bent. I noticed it Monday. Saw this post this morning and have already called the dealer with the issue and upgraded part number. They have a new bracket on order!

Dealer called me yesterday to say it had arrived. after some confusion when I showed up they handed me the still sealed shipping box. It is a beefy part, definitely thicker steel than the original. I still don't like the welds to the spool pieces from the plate, they could have been done much better and more completely and IMHO are the weakest point of the redesigned part (not counting fastener failure).

It came as a kit with a nice tyvec drawstring bag of hardware and a two page install sheet. I'll try to document it before install.

A

akcooper9

Dealer called me yesterday to say it had arrived. after some confusion when I showed up they handed me the still sealed shipping box. It is a beefy part, definitely thicker steel than the original. I still don't like the welds to the spool pieces from the plate, they could have been done much better and more completely and IMHO are the weakest point of the redesigned part (not counting fastener failure).

It came as a kit with a nice tyvec drawstring bag of hardware and a two page install sheet. I'll try to document it before install.

Great news! At this point I'm going to leave the new part on the shelf and run the old part until it breaks again!

577jersey

Im gonna call my dealer and see if I can get the brace just in case before I run out of warranty.
Thanks for the info and part #.

B

BEYTILL

I went down to my dealer 2 days ago. Needed a new drive belt, original is showing cracks, and to pick up a couple of exhaust gaskets. I've noticed that the left side getting louder. Asked if they had any of the new crossbrace's in stock. They did and they have had to changed a few. Got the crossbrace free, under warranty. I also stopped by the hardware store to replace the grade 5 bolts that come with the kit with grade 8's.

So today I removed the engine guard and the rear frame section, to get to the muffler easier, and jacked it up removed the tires. Last year I had rapped the muffler with Thermo-Tec tape, the same stuff I've used on my bikes, trucks, etc, to try to quit the grass burning. Don't even bother. It doesn't help. I even rapped it twice. The only thing it did was rust the steel. Bad. The muffler looked like it was 10 years old.

I started to remove the exhaust nuts. It's a PITA. Not much room for large paws. I was removing the last nut and noticed the left exhaust header moving. LOL! The only thing that was holding it on was the tape and hose clamps. It had total broken off. Somewhere, sometime I must bang something hard enough to snap and bent the pipe. It also had some nasty cracks in it. Yes, I could of welded it back together but I would of had to remount and tack it and then remove, and finish welding because it was so screwed up. There only $45. Screw it, ordered a new one.

As for the crossbrace, gravy work. The 2 top bolts where loose. I removed them, yes the were installed wrong, and the threads were pretty chewed up. Removed the 2 bottom bolts, installed wrong, they were fine. Pried the old brace out and had to spread the cases a little to get the new one in. Just a tiny amount. Installed new grade 8 bolts, washers, lock washers and nuts. Torqued and then double nutted them. And yes, installed the right way.

I don't know if it's just laziness or Hustlers engineers. But you never make a connection where the shear point is on the threads. Always on the shank. Same as bolting up a building. Did it for 30 years.

K

Kremeneon

But you never make a connection where the shear point is on the threads. Always on the shank. Same as bolting up a building. Did it for 30 years.

This.

M

MikeRSD54

Just upgraded to a Raptor SD recently, and browsing this thread had me wondering if the production 2017 SD's had the redesigned braces. Went out this morning before work and checked, and it appears the new brace is standard now. Snapped a couple of photos while I was out there. Still gunna keep an eye on those bolts though :smile:

Attachments

T

turboawd

Just upgraded to a Raptor SD recently, and browsing this thread had me wondering if the production 2017 SD's had the redesigned braces. Went out this morning before work and checked, and it appears the new brace is standard now. Snapped a couple of photos while I was out there. Still gunna keep an eye on those bolts though :smile:

and they paint the bracket yellow now. cool!

Datadave

Datadave

Good info, Thanks Mike

Mine is a 2016, guess I need to keep an eye on it

577jersey

Dealer wont give me the kit until my original brace cracks or bends..200 hours and it looks good to me,I believe mine is a 2016.

K

Kremeneon

Now I'm going to have to repaint mine before I install it.

K

Kremeneon

painted:

IMG_4367.jpg

IMG_4368.jpg

M

MikeRSD54

That turned out looking great. Was it hard to match the paint?

K

Kremeneon

Caterpillar yellow, pretty darn close. I've used it for touch up and you won't notice casually once it dries.

C

CLT Bluesman

Wow. I have a four year old Fastrack. I better check mine. Is this just a Raptor issue?

T

turboawd

Wow. I have a four year old Fastrack. I better check mine. Is this just a Raptor issue?

pretty sure this is just a raptor issue. your fastrack has a lot beefier frame.

K

Kremeneon

I was at Lowes yesterday and confirmed the three units they had on display all had the new brace, in yellow.

S

spetrochko

Mine broke in 2 places about a month ago. Still in the shop awaiting the parts to come in. Have also had problems with other (rear) transmission brackets cracking - anyone else having this problem?

D

dixonb2

I was looking at my SD 54" the other day and it looked like my right rear wheel was angled slightly inward. I got to looking at it more closely and found that the brace that runs between the transmissions had broken at 2 of the 4 mounting points. I called the dealer and they have an improved replacement brace that Hustler has come out with and it's covered under warranty. This must be somewhat common but I haven't found any info on it. Anyone else have this issue?[/QUOTE

Hey, I have a hustler SD 54 and my support bracket broke on me yesterday while cutting. The bolt that connects the brace to the hydrostatic completely sheered off causing the hydro to shift downward which caused my right rear tire to angle inward. Once the hydro came down it also caused my belt that runs the hydro cooling fans to snap in half. I have reached out to Hustler and they told me the same thing that they have redesigned a cross support that is supposed to be stronger. I bought mine from Lowes, so I am waiting to hear back from someone to see about having it looked at.

Thanks,
Brandon

BlazNT

BlazNT

Lowes does not do repair work at all. Find an authorized service shop.

J

Joe5182

That upgrade looks beefy

Mine broke also, and the 123292 part is $132. How can I be sure i am getting the heavy new one?

K

Kremeneon

Mine broke also, and the 123292 part is $132. How can I be sure i am getting the heavy new one?

The OLD part # was 118942,* NEW number is 123292. Any references to the old number I have found show it as superseded by the new. I'd say you will get the right part. My question is if it will be black or yellow. The one I ordered arrived black, but the factory installed ones are painted yellow.

Ronno6

Ronno6

This assembly basically shows 2 shear points. (post #26,first photo)
Is there a correct way in which to orient the bolt in this situation?

mhavanti

mhavanti

Both the verticle and horizontal bolts needs to have their shanks to be no less than a quarter inch longer than the entire distance of their thru contact points, then flat washers on both the bolt head and the nut end with a locking nut doubled should solve any further problems.

Ronno6

Ronno6

Both the verticle and horizontal bolts needs to have their shanks to be no less than a quarter inch longer than the entire distance of their thru contact points, then flat washers on both the bolt head and the nut end with a locking nut doubled should solve any further problems.

TYMH

mhavanti

mhavanti

My pleasure.

K

Kremeneon

I just installed my new brace. It is much beefier than the one I took out. The removed unit was one year old original design with a crack in it.

I reused the original lock nuts to double up on the new ones.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Would it not be fairly easy to grind thru the crack, weld it back up, then get a piece of heavy wall tubing to duplicate the new cross brace and sell it to someone in need of a souped up cross brace? That may help someone out that doesn't have the skills to do so and take theirs in exchange and do it again.

Glad you're up and running.

Max

K

Kremeneon

Would it not be fairly easy to grind thru the crack, weld it back up, then get a piece of heavy wall tubing to duplicate the new cross brace and sell it to someone in need of a souped up cross brace? That may help someone out that doesn't have the skills to do so and take theirs in exchange and do it again.

It wouldn't be too hard to enhance the original design brace. But after having both in my hands now and examining them up close, the new design is nearly twice the metal thickness and more generous all around. Certainly the bottom is where they break, and it could be beefed up without a whole lot of effort if someone had a nice welder, and the knowledge to use it.

For the price of shipping I'll send my old brace to someone who wants to experiment with it.

The old part to new part is a whole other level. While looking at them it occurred to me they tried to design this brace for a homeowner mower, it broke, so they just threw the fasttrack part at it.

old vs new:
IMG_4591.jpgIMG_4592.jpg

I still think those welds are the weak point and could have been done much better. The weak point on this beefy part may be plenty strong to last forever, time will tell.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

Sub'd

mhavanti

mhavanti

Mr. Nower,

What is "Sub'd" ?

Thank you in advance,

Max

L454S

L454S

"Subscribed"....wants to follow the thread

mhavanti

mhavanti

Thanks and there you go Ronno, asked and answered.

Max

Ronno6

Ronno6

Thanks and there you go Ronno, asked and answered.

Max

TYMH

mhavanti

mhavanti

Ron,

We ain't too old to learn something new. Not that I'll be able to absorb it. lol

Max

Datadave

Datadave

"Subscribed"....wants to follow the thread

I learn something new every day

B

bradmc

I was doing the 200 hour maintenance on mine when I noticed the cross brace broken on the left side. Both mounts were broken. Talked to my dealer this morning and luckily they had one in stock. They've been noticing a higher demand for these, so they like to keep one or two in stock since wait time has been up to 6 weeks at times. They let me pick it up and install myself so I picked it up today and installed this evening. It was mentioned earlier, but wow the plate is much thicker on the new version.

2017-09-18 16.39.44.jpg

2017-09-18 16.40.09.jpg

The shanks on the new provided bolts are shorter than I'd like to see:
2017-09-18 16.48.08.jpg

That old plate looked to be a good start on a custom winch mount plate that I needed to build for my ATV, so it was "re-purposed".:biggrin:
2017-09-18 19.06.37.jpg

2017-09-18 20.36.34.jpg

2017-09-18 21.01.08.jpg

2017-09-18 21.01.17.jpg

Better than throwing it in the trash.

K

Kremeneon

I have noticed a VAST improvement in chassis stiffness after replacing the brace. I used to be able to feel the frame twist though my feet when on uneven terrain. Now i don't feel that and it will alternately lift the front wheels.

T

turboawd

I have noticed a VAST improvement in chassis stiffness after replacing the brace. I used to be able to feel the frame twist though my feet when on uneven terrain. Now i don't feel that and it will alternately lift the front wheels.

i think thats why the bracket breaks, the frame flexes too much. its one of the cost cutting measures to make a cheaper mower.

K

Kremeneon

i think thats why the bracket breaks, the frame flexes too much. its one of the cost cutting measures to make a cheaper mower.

The frame by itself is just a ladder rack, there isn't a whole lot of triangulation that can be done to make it stiff besides seam welding it. I think the demonstration of improvement shows how structurally integral the transmissions are to the machine, and that the part was so underdesigned on the first go around, it is far more than a spacer.

T

turboawd

The frame by itself is just a ladder rack, there isn't a whole lot of triangulation that can be done to make it stiff besides seam welding it. I think the demonstration of improvement shows how structurally integral the transmissions are to the machine, and that the part was so underdesigned on the first go around, it is far more than a spacer.

the raptor sd has a c channel frame. check out the higher end mowers that have tubular frames. they are way stiffer. the mower should not rely on the trans and a bracket for stiffness. the frame should be stiff.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Like my $3000.00 dollar Husqvarna Residental mower has.

T

turboawd

Like my $3000.00 dollar Husqvarna Residental mower has.

does it flex?

BlazNT

BlazNT

Not at all. Even after 10 years of use.

S

Stingray69

I had this problem before the re-designed bracket came out. My dealer got me a new one under warranty. Before installing it I put a piece of tubing the full length between the two tabs that were breaking. I then ran a piece of grade 8 all thread through both hydros and the bracket with the tube in it. I double nutted everything. That was 260 hours and two years ago. Never been a problem since.

mhavanti

mhavanti

I have the replacement cross brace and the clutch cover which is basically another brace as much as a clutch debris cover. With both of those in place, the SD is so rigid it lifts the front tires fairly often when in transitions that have dips or drop offs to a flat surface that aren't in the same plane. I didn't think I liked the slight flex before. However, I can see the flex was a good thing up to a point.

Color my SD "Stiff"

C

clubairth

Had a cracked plastic fender under warranty on my Raptor 54SD. Turned out the dealer replaced the fender and I got the upgraded brace installed to.
Still painted black and not Hustler yellow.

K

Kremeneon

I have the replacement cross brace and the clutch cover which is basically another brace as much as a clutch debris cover. With both of those in place, the SD is so rigid it lifts the front tires fairly often when in transitions that have dips or drop offs to a flat surface that aren't in the same plane. I didn't think I liked the slight flex before. However, I can see the flex was a good thing up to a point.

Color my SD "Stiff"

care to post a pic of the clutch cover? I'd like to do some research on it, I don't have one.

The rest of what you wrote is the absolute key, the chassis should be completely rigid. If you feel any twisting in your feet up and down hills and whatnot then something is loose or broken underneath.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Kreme,

Next time I have the SD out of the barn, I'll try to get a decent photo of the cover. I sent one to Ronno, maybe he still has it. Ronna, can you supply a photo of my clutch cover ole buddy?

Max

Ronno6

Ronno6

Here ya go............

26692184_10160585901530643_1296151758_o.jpg

Part #120838

mhavanti

mhavanti

Ronno,

You are a fine young man!

You'd have thought I'd have wiped that off before shooting a photo.

Max

Ronno6

Ronno6

No applause, just throw $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

K

Kremeneon

HUSTLER 120838 - GUARD, RAPTOR CLUTCH

Excellent, I've got one on order. $15.65 delivered. does it just sandwich under the trans bolts there?

I suggest you get a heat shield for the muffler, they are fantastic. I have not scorched a single piece of grass since installing it and they DO NOT collect clippings and catch fire (I do check it though before putting the mower away).

Ronno6

Ronno6

The guard mounts under the transmissions.
It is recommended that you get longer mounting bolts, 5/16 x 3 1/4" long, Grade 8
but make SURE that you have at least 2 1/4" of shoulder.
This will assure that all shear points are on the unthreaded shoulder rather than the threads themselves.
This will eliminate the fracturing of the bolts thru the smaller diameter threaded section.

K

Kremeneon

The guard mounts under the transmissions.
It is recommended that you get longer mounting bolts, 5/16 x 3 1/4" long, Grade 8
but make SURE that you have at least 2 1/4" of shoulder.
This will assure that all shear points are on the unthreaded shoulder rather than the threads themselves.
This will eliminate the fracturing of the bolts thru the smaller diameter threaded section.

:thumbsup:

mhavanti

mhavanti

This was a bit harder to get laying on the concrete with the mower not on a jack. The clutch cover is basically a piece of angle iron. Raptor Clutch Cover - Hydro Brace from bottom.jpg

K

Kremeneon

This was a bit harder to get laying on the concrete with the mower not on a jack. The clutch cover is basically a piece of angle iron. View attachment 37247

What is the anti-rattle shim you have on the clutch anchor there? everything I've tried ends up being pounded to pieces. I ended up having my neighbor put a big bead of weld on the anchor and I buffed it down until I got a nice .020 or so fit.

mhavanti

mhavanti

That's a piece of tool steel that has been beat into submission in order to place it over the clutch mount. More it gets hammered by the clutch, harder it becomes. A2 is good stuff.

Ronno6

Ronno6

Where is the A2 part?
Is that a wear point I should be concerned abut?

mhavanti

mhavanti

Nah, not a bit of worry considering folks were speaking to rattles in their clutch due to the small amount of space between the notch on the clutch and the bracket. That is in there for a purpose to keep the clutch from binding up during hard starts belt being bound up due to a foreign object getting hung up between pulleys and belt.

I just thought there should be a way to either confirm or debunk the rumors. Rumors debunked.

Run the hell out of that SD54 until you break it, then fix it. Don't hold your breath that you'll break it anytime soon. lol

Max

E

EDL

Well, it's always amazing to find out about "known" issues AFTER something breaks. Sigh.

Was mowing with my Raptor SD yesterday and was rolling along and suddenly *THUNK* and it came to a screeching halt. WTF? Shut her down and walked to the back and, oh, the drive belt is sticking out the back. As I was looking to see how to get it back on, I noticed the right rear wheel was cocked at an odd angle...now WTF? I looked between the front of the rear wheel and the bottom of the plastic fender, oh, the bolt that holds the front of the hydro motor was snapped. I ran to the hardware store and got a couple of grade 8 bolts and lock nuts with the idea of replacing both of them. After hauling my mower lift and tools to the mower (of course it breaks at the furthest possible point from my garage), I lift the front end up, but still can't get to it easily. Back to garage, put the 4-ton jack on a dolly to wheel it down there, jack the rear up and what's this? The web on the cross brace is snapped off at the fastener at the right rear location. Grrrr.

I come back to the house and after a couple minutes of searching, I find this thread. I then find that the "new and improved" brace is $132. I fired off a nastygram to Hustler that this should be a recall (of course my mower is out of warranty by about 6 months, but I only have 115 hours on it). Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll send me one at no cost. If not, this will be the last Hustler I buy.

So, now I have to recover this beast and get it back to the garage. I do have a 6x8 trailer, but no winch, so off to Horror Fright to get a come-along and a strap. While there I also picked up a trailer dolly (which I've been meaning to get to make getting my trailer into and out of the barn easier), so $115 later, the wife and I manage to get it winched onto the trailer and back in the garage. The wife, bless her heart, spent the time I was futzing aorund trying to fix the GD thing using the push mower to keep mowing. We spent today mowing the remaining 3 acres or so with the f%#$*!# push mower.

I've inspected the mower every time I use it and I ypically check nuts and bolts 2-3 times throughout the mowing season. Last checks, nothing was loose. I suspect the brace may have had cracks that I didn't notice though. Still, I think Hustler should be replacing these braces for all SD owners, that's just ridiculous.

577jersey

Sounds like a saga lol.
My upgrade brace only cost me 50 bucks.Got 425 hours on her and she's kickin chickin?

S

SidecarFlip

Time for some putty knife work, I'd say........:laughing:

mhavanti

mhavanti

EDL,

Get some grade eight bolts, make sure the bolts are sufficiently long enough so that the shoulders slightly protrude thru the frame, hydro and any other item they pass through. Using a heavy flat washer under the head and between the nuts and the other brackets. Tighten to specs for the size bolts in a grade 8. Double nut or place a lock nut on the bolts and your problems are cured.

Max

mhavanti

mhavanti

Sidecar,

That is some serious ground clearance when working under the mower. I'm lovin' it.

By the way, that clutch cover I mentioned earlier in this thread really makes the rear of the mower much more stiff. I can't say it actually does anything to provide any kind of safety for the clutch.

Glad to see you've been using that SD like it was meant to be.

Max

C

clubairth

Just ordered the clutch cover #120838.

Looks like an additional brace for the rear.
Thanks again to the forum for more great information!
I only have 144Hr on my 2015 54SD.

mhavanti

mhavanti

clubairth,

You'll see just how much stiffer that rascal is once you've installed it. Be sure to use longer grade eight bolts, thick grade eight washers and nuts. Either use a chisel and cross strike one side of the nut to make it a lock nut or double nut the bolts. You'll be done tightening at that point.

Go by this youtube channel for some other upgrades you may want to do or see some ideas for later down the road. Maxs Garaj Mahal

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKGtOepm7R0526XE2HPZUDg

Hope you'll subscribe and hit the notifications bell to see the new videos coming out on your mower.

Good luck with the clutch cover.

Max

J

John Fitzgerald

I stopped by Lowes today for some plumbing parts and saw a new 60" Raptor SD they had out front. I looked underneath and saw that it had the new design trans cross brace and the clutch cover. The frame looks somewhat less substantial than my Fastrak frame.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Glad to new purchasers will have the upgrades. The mowers are lighter than the Fastraks for sure.

E

EDL

Got a reply back from Hustler. They gave me a case # and said to call the local dealer/repair shop and they would "help with the repair." Not sure what that means. The shop said to email them all the info and they will call Hustler and find out.

So, we'll see what happens next...

It might be a case where they'll cover the part, but not labor, or who knows (since mower is out of warranty). I should know tomorrow.

E

EDL

So, I spoke with my nearest dealer here's the deal:

Hustler said if the mower is less than 90 days out of warranty, they will cover the part and labor. If it is more than 90 days out of warranty, then they would only supply the part and I have to pay labor.

My mower is definitely more than 90 days out of warranty (4 years old, but only 113 hours on it). Given the hourly rate for labor, as quoted by the dealer and his estimated time to perform the work, plus the cost of gas to take it over (it's not close by), return home, then go back to pick it up (not including my time), this saves me nothing.

I replied back to the Hustler guy that given the circumstances, I'd prefer they just send me the part as I am totally capable of doing the replacement myself (and will also give me the opportunity to replace the grade 5 bolts in the kit with grade 8). It's been 3 days and no reply back from Hustler.

The wife and I have had to, yet again, mow a lot of yard with a dang push mower.

If Hustler won't send me the part, then I'll buy it, fix the mower, then sell the damn thing and get another...and it won't be another Hustler. This is ridiculous. That part should have been a recall, no question. I mean, if Chevy or Ford has vehicles breaking transmission mounts and dropping them on the road, you can bet there'd be a recall with the fix at no charge...regardless of warranty status!

J

John Fitzgerald

I would be giving them a call today.

mhavanti

mhavanti

edl,

Hustler isn't going to send you that brace directly. They may send it to the dealer to give to you. However, I doubt that as well as I've seen several emails from Hustler stating their legal team's perspective of a DIY installation and their liability in such an event.

They will sell that part directly to you for sure. If the dealer has been shady, I'd not trust him to hand over the part even if they do send it to you in your name.

I'd get over the Butt Hurt, order the part or take the one off the mower, take it to someone with a welder, reinforce the original, reinstall it and get on with it. You just gotta stop trying to kill that woman! lol Once you get the mower the way you want it, you'll fall back in love with it. Once I got over the incompetent dealers that touched my mower and the damages the second dealership did to mine. I've really come to love it and now I can alter, modify, upgrade or play with it any way I like and I'm now using it to show others how they can do the same while making improvements that will give longevity and ease of operation to their RSDs along the way.

Sorry about the term "Butt Hurt". However, that is what we feel in these situations.

Max

E

EDL

Yep, ordering the part tonight. Hustler is running me in circles. They've stopped replying to my messages and now they say my mower "was never registered." They won't give me a straight answer on whether they will send the part or not. I asked directly "yes or no, will you send the part or not" and they wouldn't answer that.

I'm done with them. First and last Hustler I will ever own. I'll also make sure anyone that mentions getting a zero turn to avoid Hustler.

I have a welder (a nice Lincoln MP-210) and I know how to weld and fabricate, but it's a time issue (I work all day and and do online college at night using my GI Bill). I barely have time to take a dump much less try to fab up a replacement bracket. I don't have the right steel stock on hand to fix and beef up the old bracket anyway.

Due to the issue (which is known and apparent since they had to create a new much beefier part) it should have been a no-brainer, but if that's how they want to treat their customers, so be it.

J

John Fitzgerald

As with anything that's out of warranty, the consumer is on their own. Unless there's an official recall, they cannot be expected to. If the machine makes it through the warranty period without covered parts failing, the factory has completed its implied contract with the consumer. I wouldn't personally expect any recourse against Hustler. It would be the same with any other manufacturer, cars included.

Mower King

Mower King

Yep, ordering the part tonight. Hustler is running me in circles. They've stopped replying to my messages and now they say my mower "was never registered." They won't give me a straight answer on whether they will send the part or not. I asked directly "yes or no, will you send the part or not" and they wouldn't answer that.

I'm done with them. First and last Hustler I will ever own. I'll also make sure anyone that mentions getting a zero turn to avoid Hustler.

I have a welder (a nice Lincoln MP-210) and I know how to weld and fabricate, but it's a time issue (I work all day and and do online college at night using my GI Bill). I barely have time to take a dump much less try to fab up a replacement bracket. I don't have the right steel stock on hand to fix and beef up the old bracket anyway.

Due to the issue (which is known and apparent since they had to create a new much beefier part) it should have been a no-brainer, but if that's how they want to treat their customers, so be it.

I have seen Hustler mowers come into our shop ( we were a Hustler Dealer at that time, we have since, let them go ) that needed warranty work, that was bought from a box store, these box stores don't do any repair, only sell them ( Home Depot, Lowes etc.). Once we ran it through Hustlers system before any repair is made, we found out the box store did not register it, thus NO WARRANTY on these mowers until they are registered, if they can be registered. This has happened more then once, It is a lot of trouble for the owners and a headache for us. The moral of this story is, buy a mower from a reputable dealership and not a box store or online....it will pay off in the long run!

mhavanti

mhavanti

Mowerking,

Truer words were never spoken.

EDL,

Good luck on getting back up and running. Hate that you've had the problem.

Max

E

EDL

Well, yet another update. I didn't order the part the other night (got late and decided I'd do it next day). I decided to call Hustler again to see if I get a direct answer instead of the vague ones I got before.

Interesting conversation. After getting passed around to several people, I ended up on the phone with the same guy who responded to my original email that started the entire ordeal. He started telling me that I never told them it was out of warranty (oh, but I did), he said the machine was never registered, and he said there was nothing they could or would do. He went on to tell me the issue is not a recall item because they've had very few issues with that brace (huh, yeah, right, that's why it was totally redesigned and beefed up, huh?).

Hmm. Interesting. I reminded him that I still have the original email I sent, along with his reply. I read them back to him and even offered to forward them directly to his work email...again, since he never responded to the reply I sent him before. The guy was a bit of a d-bag.

He then said it wasn't necessary because they're not going to do anything about it. I reminded him too that the local dealer called them (because HE said to have them do so in his original) because they issued a case number and explained to him what the dealer was authorized to do by Hustler. He didn't have an answer for that at all. I finally was able to tell him my entire point of this call was to get a simple yes or no answer if they'd send me the part instead of the dealer. He said no. So, finally, there we go.

Interestingly, later that same day, the dealer called me to tell me he was wrong about his estimate on the labor to put the new brace on. So, long story short, the mower is now at the dealer (took it over yesterday afternoon). I had to go through my receipts and credit card statements to show proof I bought it from Lowes. He says he can get it registered with Hustler and the brace will be no cost, just his labor, which is now $45 instead of the 1.5 hours at $65 an hour he originally told me.

Ya know, I wouldn't have gone down this road with Hustler at all if I hadn't discovered this thread (and others) that this brace is an issue. Sorry, I strongly feel it should have been a recall item and replaced, no questions asked. Any reputable company that stands by its products would do it. They obviously knew it was a problem since it was redesigned and beefed up significantly. I have no problem replacing parts out of pocket, especially when I cause it to break, or it's something you expect to go bad over time, but this is not one of them. It was just a bad design from the get go, and this isn't a cheapy $700 Sears riding mower either where you'd expect something like this.

At least it's getting replaced now for a minimal cost. I'm a little bothered by Hustler's response to this whole thing and the attitude they seem to have. I really like the mower overall, but any future mower purchases, I will be hesitant to get a Hustler.

Lol, ok, rant over.

mhavanti

mhavanti

EDL,

Glad I kept pushing you now. If you hadn't made the call, you would not be getting this replacement I assure you. Now, this forum is a great thing and we all help each other get the best information we can provide each other as we should.

If you want to make sure your 'rant' is heard by Hustler, go over to Facebook in the Big Dog Alpha - Hustler Industries Review page and place all of your comments in there you have here. From the very beginning because I can tell you they do read every post in that page.

Be sure to include every name you spoke to on the call, their titles, etc. because that gets the attention of the Vice-President. The VP doesn't exactly want to hear his customer service is comprised of a bunch of jerks.

Taking into account the reason most companies does not have recalls are that they are not reported to the correct agencies that demands the company recall and replace items both in and out of warranty.

So, to help both yourself and others, run over and place all the information into that review as there may very well be enough information soon to demand the company recall that part in the near future. The 2019 Raptor has several new upgrades as part of their standard features that came from Makers in this forum that was taken into the Review page. Spend another hour or so and who knows, we may all make a huge difference in someone's future.

Here is the link for that Review Page: https://www.facebook.com/HustlerZeroTurn/

Max

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

edl,

......If the dealer has been shady....Once I got over the incompetent dealers that touched my mower and the damages the second dealership did to mine.Max

Not all dealerships are the same when conducting business, that's a fact.

So just because a mower was purchased exclusively from a dealership doesn't really mean or guarantee that your in good hands, in sales or service's, once your purchase has been complete.

mhavanti

mhavanti

I agree Mr. Mower. I didn't say all dealers if you read your quote of mine. I said "incompetent dealers". And there are many more of those today than the competent dealers whether mowers, motorcycles, cars, trucks, etc.

Damned shame that folks in a position to make a profit puts the profit entirely ahead of returning customers or better said, earning word of mouth good graces. No matter how good a competent dealer can be, there are going to be mitigating circumstances outside their control and thus will get bad mouthed. If this happens and the word gets back to the dealer. Best to get in touch with the 'victim' and see if there is any kind of resolution. How often does this happen in this day and time. Not so much.

I am just a Dinosaur apparently.

Max

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

I have seen Hustler mowers come into our shop ( we were a Hustler Dealer at that time, we have since, let them go ) that needed warranty work, that was bought from a box store, these box stores don't do any repair, only sell them ( Home Depot, Lowes etc.). Once we ran it through Hustlers system before any repair is made, we found out the box store did not register it, thus NO WARRANTY on these mowers until they are registered, if they can be registered. This has happened more then once, It is a lot of trouble for the owners and a headache for us. The moral of this story is, buy a mower from a reputable dealership and not a box store or online....it will pay off in the long run!

Well for starters the "big box stores" only sell mowers not service them (don't know of any big box store that would provide servicing mowers?) also it's not the big box stores (nor a dealerships) responsibility to register your mower.

Yes it is definitely true that if the mower is not registered with the manufacturer then there is no warranty. That's just a no brain'er there.

It is up to the customer to register their mower once a purchase has been made, whether from a dealership or big box store. Read the paperwork that your mower came with once purchased brand new. It's all there (or should be).

If your mower needs servicing then the customer would need to locate a Hustler Sales and Servicing dealership specifically for that purpose.

A customer should never take anything for granted once they have purchased their mower from any place, for that matter, whether big box store or dealership. Always register your product yourself and make sure that you receive a reply directly from the manufacturer concerning warranty.

Once you know for a fact that your mower is registered then warranty issues would not be a problem.

I know this for a fact.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

I agree Mr. Mower. I didn't say all dealers if you read your quote of mine. I said "incompetent dealers". And there are many more of those today than the competent dealers whether mowers, motorcycles, cars, trucks, etc.

Damned shame that folks in a position to make a profit puts the profit entirely ahead of returning customers or better said, earning word of mouth good graces. No matter how good a competent dealer can be, there are going to be mitigating circumstances outside their control and thus will get bad mouthed. If this happens and the word gets back to the dealer. Best to get in touch with the 'victim' and see if there is any kind of resolution. How often does this happen in this day and time. Not so much.

I am just a Dinosaur apparently.

Max

I totally agree with you sir!

mhavanti

mhavanti

Mr. Mower,

Have to state one more thing. My reputable dealership does not allow the owners register their mowers. But then too, he is now gone. The replacement dealership is worse. lol.

Now to the point, I contacted the factory to register my mower. The factory contacted the dealer to ask why I was registering the mower and why it had not been registered already. Reason I registered it was the dealership claimed it was registered and the recall was already taken care of before I purchased the mower that, by the way the recall was after I purchased my mower from him. So, once the recall was brought to my attention, I checked the mower for the very visible repair if it was 'already taken care of before I purchased the mower'.

The factory stated it would be taken care of immediately. The dealer called me, cussed me for at least 30 seconds before taking a breath. Once he stopped long enough to breath. I asked him why he hadn't registered or taken care of the recall. He stated I got everything I paid for and don't bother bringing the mower back to him unless I apologized for making him look bad.

By the way, the registration has no place to make comments in order to make a dealer 'look bad'. The dealer takes care of that all by himself. He never once kept any business contract or promise.

So, incompetent dealers are out there and makes the manufacturer look bad, not the customers making the manufacturer look bad. Box stores are dealers bottom line. Whatever we deal is makes us a dealer.

So, dealers with service departments are different than dealers without. This particular dealer and his replacement will not service any box store sales. That is true for the entire state almost. I don't get it, factory is going to pay me to repair your unit and most likely my doing so will earn your business. Butt hurt dealers usually are the worst for the manufacturers.

Sorry for the long reply. Just needed to be said so folks reading your and my banter understands you and I are actually on the same page.

Max

C

clubairth

Thanks for the information and part numbers for the 2 different braces!

Just a heads up I ordered Clutch Cover-#120838 as the dealer had already replaced the big cross brace after a plastic fender cracked at the mounting ear.
This smaller brace is on factory back order right now. No estimate of when they will be back in stock.

Yes some local dealers are pure garbage! Like mine.
DO NOT buy or deal with:

Max Lawn and Garden
1431 North Westgreen Blvd
Katy, Tx 77449

I drank the Kool Aid on this forum about using a local dealer. What a crock of ****!!! Paid full price to get a Mexican run around every time I called!
I should have purchased it from Lowes. At least I do not expect any service from them!
People buy wherever you get the best deal!

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower,

Have to state one more thing. My reputable dealership does not allow the owners register their mowers. But then too, he is now gone. The replacement dealership is worse. lol.

Now to the point, I contacted the factory to register my mower. The factory contacted the dealer to ask why I was registering the mower and why it had not been registered already. Reason I registered it was the dealership claimed it was registered and the recall was already taken care of before I purchased the mower that, by the way the recall was after I purchased my mower from him. So, once the recall was brought to my attention, I checked the mower for the very visible repair if it was 'already taken care of before I purchased the mower'.

The factory stated it would be taken care of immediately. The dealer called me, cussed me for at least 30 seconds before taking a breath. Once he stopped long enough to breath. I asked him why he hadn't registered or taken care of the recall. He stated I got everything I paid for and don't bother bringing the mower back to him unless I apologized for making him look bad.

By the way, the registration has no place to make comments in order to make a dealer 'look bad'. The dealer takes care of that all by himself. He never once kept any business contract or promise.

So, incompetent dealers are out there and makes the manufacturer look bad, not the customers making the manufacturer look bad. Box stores are dealers bottom line. Whatever we deal is makes us a dealer.

So, dealers with service departments are different than dealers without. This particular dealer and his replacement will not service any box store sales. That is true for the entire state almost. I don't get it, factory is going to pay me to repair your unit and most likely my doing so will earn your business. Butt hurt dealers usually are the worst for the manufacturers.

Sorry for the long reply. Just needed to be said so folks reading your and my banter understands you and I are actually on the same page.

Max

No apology necessary Max and yes we are definitely on the same page.

Your points and views on this are well stated and thanks for posting and sharing.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

Yes some local dealers are pure garbage! Like mine.
DO NOT buy or deal with:

Max Lawn and Garden
1431 North Westgreen Blvd
Katy, Tx 77449

I drank the Kool Aid on this forum about using a local dealer. What a crock of ****!!! Paid full price to get a Mexican run around every time I called!
I should have purchased it from Lowes. At least I do not expect any service from them!
People buy wherever you get the best deal!.

Very well stated.

I remember after purchasing my Hustler Raptor Flip Up from Lowes, I then called several local Hustler Sales & Service dealerships, speaking with managers, supervisors, techs and asking questions, etc. before I finally felt comfortable with one that I was willing to do business with and they have since treated me, as a customer, very well and I always highly recommend them to other customers.

As long as they keep conducting business in an honest professional manner they will always have my business, even if I have to drive a few extra miles to get there.

Mower King

Mower King

The Dealership I work at, registers all New Mowers we sell (we sell 4 major brands of mowers) for the customer, so the customer knows it goes into the manufactures system for Warranty, and our system as well. Just good business practice!

mhavanti

mhavanti

Mr. Mower,

In our businesses, we had to carry very large insurance policies that hurt when paying the premiums. However, there isn't any insurance to pay out when we as dealers, manufacturers or repair shops hurts our customer's feelings or simply do not do our due diligence toward deserving their business.

We also had (E&O) Errors and Omissions in the event one of our sales staff or tech staff made an error or went out of their way to omit information a customer should have in order to best operate and maintain their purchases from our stores, machine shops, etc. Yes, folks CAN sue you for errors and omissions. If you don't believe that, just stay in business long enough, it WILL happen to you eventually. In our Southern Family Homes and Fashion Homes division, before sitting at the closing table, the manager of each of my two house firms had to walk each house, read each form for everything from Formaldehyde to government mandated fresh air ventilation in the HVAC. 66 forms each of our customers had to read, state they read, the manager of the home sales discussed and made sure the customer understands each feature and how they work before sitting in front of a closing company. This was for our customers as much and more than for my companies.

Remember, in housing, there are commissions that have teeth that not only bites, can and will rip you a knew one. So, the better we did our job in making our customers understand their features and hand them a document we both signed and they got the 'wet ink'. They know they can also rip us a knew one if we did not give them the customer service promised in writing. Plus, when you're the builder with brick and mortar offices, service buildings and warehouses. You can't run.

Damned shame mower industry doesn't care enough across the board to take care of their customers above and beyond the sale. That statement is not pointed at the servicing dealer that stands behind his word.

I'm out,

Max

E

EDL

Well for starters the "big box stores" only sell mowers not service them (don't know of any big box store that would provide servicing mowers?) also it's not the big box stores (nor a dealerships) responsibility to register your mower.

Yes it is definitely true that if the mower is not registered with the manufacturer then there is no warranty. That's just a no brain'er there.

It is up to the customer to register their mower once a purchase has been made, whether from a dealership or big box store. Read the paperwork that your mower came with once purchased brand new. It's all there (or should be).

If your mower needs servicing then the customer would need to locate a Hustler Sales and Servicing dealership specifically for that purpose.

A customer should never take anything for granted once they have purchased their mower from any place, for that matter, whether big box store or dealership. Always register your product yourself and make sure that you receive a reply directly from the manufacturer concerning warranty.

Once you know for a fact that your mower is registered then warranty issues would not be a problem.

I know this for a fact.

That's not what I was told, by both Hustler and my local dealer. According to them, Lowes should have sent in some kind of registration when the mower was purchased. So, I dunno. Water under the bridge for me at this point anyway. It's not a warranty issue, since mine is out of warranty by about 5 months, it's a major design issue I felt should have been a recall. Hustler didn't have to replace the part, but they are, so long I pay the dealer to do it (which I am). I'm just not happy with how Hustler has handled the situation and the unfriendly treatment by their staff. Whatever, it's getting replaced for less than it would have cost me to buy the part, so be it.

As for purchasing the mower from Lowes vs a dealer, the dealer that I took my mower to hit the nail on the head. He asked me if I was military. Yep, not only was my Raptor on sale at Lowes, but I got a 10% military discount on top of it. Hard to pass up getting a $3600 mower out the door for a tad over $3000. He said he's lost a few sales to Lowes because of that military discount.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

That's not what I was told, by both Hustler and my local dealer. According to them, Lowes should have sent in some kind of registration when the mower was purchased. So, I dunno. Water under the bridge for me at this point anyway. It's not a warranty issue, since mine is out of warranty by about 5 months, it's a major design issue I felt should have been a recall. Hustler didn't have to replace the part, but they are, so long I pay the dealer to do it (which I am). I'm just not happy with how Hustler has handled the situation and the unfriendly treatment by their staff. Whatever, it's getting replaced for less than it would have cost me to buy the part, so be it.

As for purchasing the mower from Lowes vs a dealer, the dealer that I took my mower to hit the nail on the head. He asked me if I was military. Yep, not only was my Raptor on sale at Lowes, but I got a 10% military discount on top of it. Hard to pass up getting a $3600 mower out the door for a tad over $3000. He said he's lost a few sales to Lowes because of that military discount.

Sorry to hear about your particular situation dealing with Hustler manufacture and all. But like in all things it happens because I’ve been down that road before, myself.

I just know that the times that I have called Hustler, I never really had a problem speaking with either their engineers, customer service rep (exclusively for those customers that purchased from big box stores) etc. They always either answered my calls or called back and even replied to my emails.

As for the Military Discount offered by Lowes, well that was definitely one of the deciding factors on purchasing my Hustler Raptor Flip Up along with “FREE DELIVERY “ straight to my home!

Yes those two factors made a huge impact on my decision to buy from Lowes, brought the price down significantly.

B

Blackhorse

How much it that beast of a brace ? And new part number

mhavanti

mhavanti

The part number is in the drawing.

Hydros - Trans Brace Diagram.jpg

C

clubairth

The Clutch cover bracket (#120838) is on back order and I have not been given any date for shipping.
Anyone been able to get this bracket?

It was pretty cheap and I just can't (and won't) deal with my local dealer if possible even though the mower is still under warranty. Just too bad of service!
I would rather do it myself if it's not a big repair.

mhavanti

mhavanti

clubairth,

Working on getting you a price and availability from a dealer that provided the flex forks to me. Soon as I get a reply, I'll see if he has them and when he can get them to you.

Max

C

clubairth

Thanks much but I have already paid for it mail order.
If it drags out I will see if I can cancel my order.

Appreciate the offer.

mhavanti

mhavanti

No worries

M

Mythdoc

This is my first post to the forum. Just wanted to say thanks. I just completed the replacement of my cross brace and the clutch guard as others have previously done. Learned a lot here. I was wrench tightening the old brace for a good year and a half until I saw it starting to bend. I have over 300 hours on my SDX 54.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Mythdoc,

Welcome to the forums. Glad you have been getting good service from your RSD54. Replace those bolts with long enough shanks in a grade eight to go thru the brace and frame before the threads begin. Use all grade eight in bolts, washers and nuts along with blue locktite and you'll be finished tightening those bolts so often.

Max

577jersey

I double lock nutted the front bolts and they never came loose again,I couldn’t find long enough grade 8 for the two rears to double lock nut so I just snug them up once a month.I will blue lock tight them next time I get those out.
I did notice the mounting tabs that connect the pumps to the frame are alot lighter than the new brace so Its really important to keep an eye on all of that.450 hours and going strong!!

M

Mythdoc

Thanks for the additional ideas to secure those connections better. I’ll be ready for another good year cutting my 8 acres of lawn and pastures!

mhavanti

mhavanti

Tom,

Looks like you may very well make that 1000 hour milestone you set for the RSD54.

Max

J

Johnm1469

I was looking at my SD 54" the other day and it looked like my right rear wheel was angled slightly inward. I got to looking at it more closely and found that the brace that runs between the transmissions had broken at 2 of the 4 mounting points. I called the dealer and they have an improved replacement brace that Hustler has come out with and it's covered under warranty. This must be somewhat common but I haven't found any info on it. Anyone else have this issue?
Well I have a 2015 Hustler Raptor SD 54. This weekend with my machine having only 110 hours,while moving lawn the upper belt just snapped sending wheel at 45 and going absolutely nowhere.. I called Hustler on Monday and had me drop off machine to one of there dealers. Told me parts and labor will be covered. My question is why just not tell me before it snapped when they know it is a problem. I wonder is I caused any other problems when snapping and stopping all of a sudden. Wonder when I will get back machine???

J

Johnm1469

Dealer wont give me the kit until my original brace cracks or bends..200 hours and it looks good to me,I believe mine is a 2016.
Sometimes the problem is with the bolts. They just snap. Mine did on my machine then it also snapped the transmission bracket in two places. If I had know I would have replaced long ago. Beware

D

Dale Driscoll

Mine broke also on my 54" SD belt flew off and that was all she wrote had to push to garage. Both wheels spread, I will contact hustler about replacement, Thanks

J

Johnm1469

Mine broke also on my 54" SD belt flew off and that was all she wrote had to push to garage. Both wheels spread, I will contact hustler about replacement, Thanks

How many hours? What year? So your bolts snapped also. See what makes me mad is that Hustler is aware of problem but instead of contacting us they just let us face them after the bolts snap leaving you saying " bleep bleep. Bleep!!!! Mine still in shop. ?? Goodluck

C

clubairth

I have posted this several times before but it looks like we have some new people who have not read the entire thread?

Anyone with a Raptor needs these 2 braces installed on their mower.

Hydro Cross Braces-Labeled.jpg

J

Johnm1469

Well I have a 2015 Hustler Raptor SD 54. This weekend with my machine having only 110 hours,while moving lawn the upper belt just snapped sending wheel at 45 and going absolutely nowhere.. I called Hustler on Monday and had me drop off machine to one of there dealers. Told me parts and labor will be covered. My question is why just not tell me before it snapped when they know it is a problem. I wonder is I caused any other problems when snapping and stopping all of a sudden. Wonder when I will get back machine???
Well Hustler sets up appt which is over an hour away. Name is WOODBURY mower and saw IN CONNECTICUT. What a nightmare. Owner after two weeks cannot even tell me status since he didn't even look at it. When calls me says your not using it now anyway. Anyway a week later says it is ready. I go last Sunday. After getting on my trailer owner says you owe me for labor. I say Hustler told me it is covered. Told him it's between Hustler and you. He charges my acct without my permission of 277$to replace that trans bracket and will not give me any paperwork whatsoever. Called customer service and now they are back tracking telling me we will only cover parts. I ask to speak with manager. After two days a manager calls me. Tell him problem. He doesn't agree with the unit is defective or bolts are inferior. He wants to blame you for something you didn't do. The customer service people told me 20% of our unit have the problem. Manager says 2-3%. Overall this entire machine should be recalled. I have filed with the U.S. consumer protection agency. I recommend all do so. Somebody going to get real hurt. When mine snapped I knew it the me off . Real scary. Just buy your own brackets. Will never buy anything from Hustler or Excel industries in Hesston Kansas ever again. Company is welcome to make it right by posting your side.

W

Weldon14

The two top bolts of the cross brace on my 2016 SD 60” are broken and have resulted in about a half to 3/4” separation between transmission and cross brace and of course this has resulted in misalignment that will need to be corrected before bolts can be installed. In my opinion it looks like if I loosen the two bottom bolts, I might be able to rotate the brace upward and into alignment so top bolts can be inserted. Also concerned about if each of the trans should be supported when replacing the bolts. Any comments/suggestions on how to remove and replace the bolts without damaging the transmissions would be greatly appreciated. I would think there might be some good info in the
two page install sheet you mentioned

C

clubairth

Can you post a picture?
Hard to say from your description.

The Chairman

The Chairman

I replaced all of those grade 3 bolts with grade 7 a year or so ago. I still had two brackets on the right side break. Fortunately, the replacement kit was only $52 and the brackets from the body to the axle were quite beefier.