Export thread

Toro Z420 blades cutting at different heights

T

toroz420

I am having a problem with the blades not being even with one another. It has a two blade system, which i will call "drivers side and passenger side". I am noticing that the passenger side blade is cutting at a higher level then the drivers side blade. The difference in height between the two blades when they are in line with one another is 7/8''. I have replaced the blades and the blade stiffeners hoping for a cheap fix. After putting the new blades on i noticed there is still a difference in height between the blades when they are in line with one another. Are the blades suppose to be this way? Why am i getting a different cut height difference? PLEASE HELP!!! yard looks striped only because of the cut height difference between the two blades. :confused2: example of the height difference passenger side> ----____ <drivers side

exotion

exotion

I am having a problem with the blades not being even with one another. It has a two blade system, which i will call "drivers side and passenger side". I am noticing that the passenger side blade is cutting at a higher level then the drivers side blade. The difference in height between the two blades when they are in line with one another is 7/8''. I have replaced the blades and the blade stiffeners hoping for a cheap fix. After putting the new blades on i noticed there is still a difference in height between the blades when they are in line with one another. Are the blades suppose to be this way? Why am i getting a different cut height difference? PLEASE HELP!!! yard looks striped only because of the cut height difference between the two blades. :confused2: example of the height difference passenger side> ----____ <drivers side

Not to insult your intelligence but. Is one of them installed upside down?

T

toroz420

Blades are on the correct way.
I've also made sure the deck was level.

exotion

exotion

Blades are on the correct way.
I've also made sure the deck was level.

I remember there were spacers on my old scag is there any on top of the blades? If not maybe you could find a washer that was 7/8 in thick to put on top of your blade to level out the cut.

Other things to look for are tire pressure wheel height adjustments

M

mowerman05

are the spindle bearings gone on one side?

T

toroz420

I remember there were spacers on my old scag is there any on top of the blades? If not maybe you could find a washer that was 7/8 in thick to put on top of your blade to level out the cut.

Other things to look for are tire pressure wheel height adjustments

I have thought about going the washer route. It would make sense to me just to put a spacer between the blade and the, what I believe is the spindle. I wasn't to sure if that would be safe.

T

toroz420

are the spindle bearings gone on one side?

Would there be a way to check the spindle bearings with out taking it apart? I have no problem taking it apart to inspect.

R

Rivets

A difference of 7/8" usually means something is not assembled correctly. Very dangerous to try to shim the blade out, you will not have enough bolt threads to hold a blade with a tip speed of 17,000.

T

toroz420

A difference of 7/8" usually means something is not assembled correctly. Very dangerous to try to shim the blade out, you will not have enough bolt threads to hold a blade with a tip speed of 17,000.

I was hoping that you would have chimed in on this rivets. I'm completely lost on this issue.
I find it really odd that one day outta the blue this would happen.

I

ILENGINE

Would there be a way to check the spindle bearings with out taking it apart? I have no problem taking it apart to inspect.

Easiest way to check is to grab hold of a blade, and see if it moves up and down. On some mowers with really tight deck belts, may have to take the belt off, to make it easier to move blades.

You didn't hit anything did you. If spindle bearings are fine, and you didn't hit anything, then my next thought would be something has sprung the deck causing a height difference.

R

Rivets

Please post the model and serial numbers for you unit.

T

toroz420

Please post the model and serial numbers for you unit.

The model number is 74327
Serial number is 260005531

R

Rivets

Thank you. After looking at that model I have two questions. I know you said your deck is level. Did you measure from the blades to the ground or from the deck frame to the ground? Would you measure the distance from the each blade bolt to the ground? Make sure you do this on a level flat surface and do this a the mid cutting height. Let us know the measurements.