Export thread

Toro Sw4200 washout issue

G

georeedy

Hello, just bought a new SW 4200 and I'm having a problem using the wash out port on the mulching deck. I attach the hose, engage the blades and very little water comes out. I need to sit my daughter in the seat to keep the blades going while I push the house into the adapter to get a decent flow. Even then, the deck doesn't clean, only a few blades, not the clumps. Have a 22' toro walk behind with wash out that works fine. Am I doing something wrong???

B

bertsmobile1

plug it in turn the water on hard then engage the blades with the deck fairly low to the ground.
ul speed of 5 to 10 minutes.
get your daughter to turn off the water. Disconnect the hose and drive onto something hard like a drivewau or road.
leave the blades spinning for another 5 to 10 minute then raise the deck fully and shut down.

This last bit is important.
If you leave it over the spot where you washed the grass out it will draw up water into the spindles as they cool down & kill the spindle bearings in no time flat.

R

Rivets

Check your hose adapter and deck connector, have seen a couple that are plugged.

G

georeedy

Thanks to both of you. Yeah, I've been spinning the blades over the driveway after to dry. Had a push mower that rusted out from not doing that. I'll check the adapters, both are new so I would hope they're not clogged.. But who knows. Thanks!

BlazNT

BlazNT

Also if the connector was not in a package it could be the wrong one. I have seen sales people give them away.

G

georeedy

Thanks, it was one that a salesman gave me, the mower didn't come with the adaptor, went back to the store and they gave me one. Guess I should call Toro and see if it's the right one. Would've thought they were universal on all Toros, but I guess not.

B

bertsmobile1

Mot are a strait hole, some at an angle and I think I remeber seeing one with a right angle discharge.

G

georeedy

Yes, this one is a right angle spigot off the deck, you attach an adapter to the spigot and the hose to the adapter. Not getting enough water through the spigot, none unless I hold the hose tight against the adapter, which I can't do if I'm sitting on the mower. The blades stop if I get off the seat so I have to have someone sit on the mower while I jam the house up tight against the adapter

B

bertsmobile1

The hose end snap fitting should lock onto the wash out port.
If not then some thing is mismatched.
Not sure what hose fittings you have there in the USA but we use a camlock fitting with an O ring seal commonly caled a snap lock.

G

georeedy

It's a toro adapter, it screws onto the hose, then snaps into the spigot on the deck. I believe (manual is unclear) that you just snap it on, engage the blades, and the water is supposed to flow through. That doesn't happen. I engage the blades and very little water flows through. I need to hold the adapter tight against the spigot for water to flow, and the only way to do that is to get off the mower.

B

bertsmobile1

This sounds very wrong.
Care to post an image

B

Brucebotti

I have an MX5060 and feel like the wash port is useless. It is just a hole in the deck and the water goes straight in. It does remove some grass, but seems to cause more damage than help. The remaining grass just absorbs the water and creates rust. Maybe mine isn't the correct one.
Bruce

R

Rivets

If the adapter does not lock on to the deck port, you were given the wrong one. If it was the correct one, it would lock tight, you would not be able to push it tighter. Goes see your dealer.

G

georeedy

Thanks rivets, I'm going to do that. The adapter does lock into the port but I have a feeling either the adapter is wrong or defective. The manual isn't clear on how it is supposed to work. I get the impression that you just hook it up and engage the blades, which should open up the water flow. That doesn't happen, only a trickle gets through without me jamming the adapter tight against the port. That can't be the way it's supposed to work.

G

georeedy

Brucebotti, my push toro works like that, with the hose screwing right into the deck. Works great but I'll tell you two things. First, you have to do it with the deck all the way down and over pavement, not on grass. Second, after you're done you have to move the mower to a dry area and run the blades dry. I rusted out my first one by not drying thoroughly. For my second toro, I sprayed a little WD40 on the underside a few times a year and make sure I dry. No rust yet after 5 years.

B

Brucebotti

Brucebotti, my push toro works like that, with the hose screwing right into the deck. Works great but I'll tell you two things. First, you have to do it with the deck all the way down and over pavement, not on grass. Second, after you're done you have to move the mower to a dry area and run the blades dry. I rusted out my first one by not drying thoroughly. For my second toro, I sprayed a little WD40 on the underside a few times a year and make sure I dry. No rust yet after 5 years.

Thanks for the info. It's probably that I am just too impatient...:smile:
Bruce

J

jjordan189

Hello, just bought a new SW 4200 and I'm having a problem using the wash out port on the mulching deck. I attach the hose, engage the blades and very little water comes out. I need to sit my daughter in the seat to keep the blades going while I push the house into the adapter to get a decent flow. Even then, the deck doesn't clean, only a few blades, not the clumps. Have a 22' toro walk behind with wash out that works fine. Am I doing something wrong???

Bought a Toro MX4200 a couple of months ago. I had the same issue with the washout port. When I talked to Toro Customer Service the rep read how to use the washout port which I have never seen the instruction anywhere. The one important thing she read as part of the instruction was to apply petroleum jelly to the side of the adapter that attaches to the mower. Perfect! It snaps right in and stays firmly attached while the full force of the water gets to the underdeck!