Toro Recycler SmartStow Noisy and Leaking Oil

Lonestarguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK... I noticed that last time I mowed, that the mower was making a kind of clunking sort of noise intermittently. I use earplugs so I can't be more specific more than that.

Today, it was doing it again. I tried with and without the front wheel drive power assist, because it SEEMED like it might be a problem with the wheel drive. That was inconclusive. Oh also, when I went to restart if after empty the bag, I heard a light 'thunk-thunk-thunk' noise when pulling the rope. I found a 1/2" stick stuck under the deck that I though was causing interference with the blade. I removed it and mowed a couple more rows before I was tired of the intermittent clunking. Subsequently, before attempting to troubleshoot, I tried starting and again, got the 'thunk-thunk-thunk' noise. So, I stopped mowing, tipped the mower up. Nothing interfering with the blade, but it appears that when I turn the blade, the drive belt is a bit loose (slippage) on the shaft pulley. I don't know if this is normal or could be causing the clunking and thunking sound. (?)

Now, at that point I went into the house to check on where to get a new belt and do some other things. When I got back to the mower later, I find what appears to be oil, puddled under the front wheel of the drive belt side(?) (where the black cover is). I don't know if this is from tipping it up, but it appears to be coming from under that black cover... which I have not removed yet.

I looked at the transmission from underneath at it is not solidly fixed, but seems to 'rattle' in place when moved by hand. Is that normal?

I thought I would see what some of you have to say before I dig in further. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Ha! Now when I pull the rope, it doesn't pull. I'll have to research the causes. I'm not sure what I could have done while I was sleeping. Hmm...

Last edited: