Export thread

Toro Recycler B&S engine starts and then shuts off

B

bgrizzly

My sons mow lawns in the neighborhood and they were just given a Toro Recycler for free. The issue is that it will start but immediately shut off. I have new gas in and changed the oil. During some trouble shooting I found out that if someone holds the primer bulb in just right, the engine will continue to run. Admittedly, I am not an engine person but I can tinker and fix things if I know what to do. Any thoughts about the issue and potential solution would be helpful.

scott47429

scott47429

I'm going to say you need a new primer bulb i have a Tecumseh that does the same thing so I'm going to put one on tomorrow and see what happens

C

chance123

Bear in mind that some primer bulbs have a hole in it, and some don't. When replacing, it is important to clean out any and all of the old one along with the old retaining ring, so the new one will seat and seal out any air leaks.

scott47429

scott47429

ok i went and got the parts took the carb totaly part and let it soak in some good carb soak and put it back together with a new primer bulb and primed it 3 times and start red and ran great on first pull i hope that gives you a idea on what to do to your toro

R

Rivets

Bet it wasn't the primer bulb, but the main jet partly plugged. By holding the primer you are also creating a high vacuum in the carb which will draw more fuel to keep it running.

Carscw

Carscw

Rivets said:
Bet it wasn't the primer bulb, but the main jet partly plugged. By holding the primer you are also creating a high vacuum in the carb which will draw more fuel to keep it running.

I had the same thing going on and was told was the primer bulb. Thought to my self no it primes so bet its good. Anyways added sea foam to my gas and two tanks later runs as it should

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

exotion

exotion

Sounds like gunk in the valves. I agree clean the carb. If you take it apart and line up the parts and remember excatly how it goes back together get some carb spray from an auto parts store and shoot every hole every part of the carb make sure the float and needle go back in correctly

scott47429

scott47429

no I'm going to say it was the primer bulb since it was cracked around the middle and the locking ring was loose so it wasn't holding it tight to the carb cause unless i held the bulb all the way in it wouldn't run till it warmed up then it would run and mow just fine

R

Rivets

You just said someone had to hold the primer bulb in, not that it was cracked and loose.

scott47429

scott47429

i didn't know it was cracked and loose till i went to take it out

A

Ariena

exotion said:
Sounds like gunk in the valves. I agree clean the carb. If you take it apart and line up the parts and remember excatly how it goes back together get some carb spray from an auto parts store and shoot every hole every part of the carb make sure the float and needle go back in correctly

Genius..........

exotion

exotion

I wonder if you even realize how ridiculous you are? Commenting on my comments with your snide little remarks, picking fights over the internet. Do you not know that if you don't like someone or what they say you just ignore it? Thats Genius! You are an imbecile good night

A

Ariena

Sticks & Stones Big Fella.........

L

Lawnranger

Ya know, if I didn't read in a post from exotion that he was already married, I'd think you two were.:laughing:

I tell everyone that I married Miss Right, I just didn't know her first name was Always.

A

Ariena

You mean he's taken????
I wish him a wonderful life in his chosen path!

L

Lawnranger

You mean he's taken????

If I recall correctly, yes. I get a good laugh from you two and I hope it is all in good fun.

A

Ariena

I laugh at him all the time.

exotion

exotion

I laugh at him all the time.

Why is that? I actually do not understand why you are so bitter. Was it something I wrote? BTW I Believe this has gotten greatly off topic.

T

tybilly

i had the same problem when i worked for a dealer,the bowl nut has a teeny hole in the stem,i did not see this the first time,and i think we lost a customer over it,