Export thread

Toro MX 4260 Vs. Toro SS4260

A

Abrahamm

I'm in the Houston, Texas area with 1 1/2 acres of St. Augustine grass (plus some unwelcome weeds...)

I'm on flat, but somewhat bumpy ground.

I'm looking at buying a zero turn Toro mower, but which one?

As I'm a geezer with a budget, the SS4260 appeals more to my budget, but perhaps I should get the MX4260.

Opinions?

Thanks!

I'm also available for suggestions on other brands or models.

Thanks again!

A

Abrahamm

I neglected to add: Is buying from internet sales thus providing greater cost savings (8.25% tax saved and free delivery) the way to go or pay for a local dealer with a higher mark up, delivery cost, plus tax the way to go?

I would rather buy from a local dealer, but the cost is so much greater for the same machine. However, I appreciate how can we continue to have local service if we buy from the internet?

Plus, when local service is needed am I likely to be turned down or get very slow service the likely scenario?

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks!

scott47429

scott47429

i don't know the difference between the machines so i can't help there and i always buy from a dealer that way I'm sure to get service if i run into something i can't handle myself and it does happen and i would say yeah you may get slower service at the dealer then you would if you had bought it through them since i know most of the dealers in my area in the summer when there busy they won't service anything they didn't sell and plus i know it may be higher to buy from them but you also have to look at it this way if you buy from them you keep the money local and you keep them in business so when you do need service you don't drive up and see the out of business sign hanging in the door due to lack of business its better all the way around in my opinion to support you local dealer and when it comes time they will support you if there good

A

Abrahamm

scott47429,

Thank you for your reply.

And yes, I'm with you regarding buying locally. Also, buying from a local dealer (he's quite reputable) means I won't have to worry about an internet purchase showing up damaged and all that entails...

At this point though, I'm looking at an approximate $500.00 difference between a local purchase vs. internet - ouch!

Your input has me thinking perhaps it would be worth trying negotiate a bit with the local dealer. I certainly wouldn't expect a matching price, but maybe free delivery... As it is, the local dealer is only eight miles away...

P

possum

I do not know how much greater this cost is through a dealer in your area but around here it is not all that great for the same machine. If the price is that much more then I would just find another dealer different brand etc. It cost money to deliver or pick up so if within reason I would not mind that part. If you need service for the internet model you are going to either have to deliver it to a dealer or hire the dealer to come get it. Either way cost money. I figure it this way. If I intend to fix myself or just junk an item I will buy from a non dealer. If not, I buy from a dealer well known to be a good service provider.

scott47429

scott47429

you can probably haggle the price with the dealer more just be up front and say this is what i can buy it for and take him a print out and see what he will do you never know he may come dow or he may give free delivery or he may even give you the first service for free just talk to him person to person he wants to make a sale you want to buy and get together with him over a cup of coffee or something see what happens

Ric

Ric

Well I don't know about any where else but here if my dealer carries a mower that I can buy on the internet or at a BB store they will generally match the price especially from a BB store. Another thing to consider is how you're purchasing the mower, are you financing, credit or cash, most any dealer will discount the price for a cash sale.

scott47429

scott47429

true ric most dealers will do what they have to in order to feel a mower

Parkmower

Parkmower

Most dealers offer free delivery and set up showing you how to use your new machine and understand it.

P

Paulz2821

The mx is the beefier version of the two for about a $1000 more. It comes with a fabricated deck instead of the stamped one. They say it also has a beefier transmission and to top it off, arm rests built onto the seat. I forgot if there is a motor difference. I think they both come with the same kawasaki though. For just one yard a year I think I would save the 1000 bucks. And I would get it online and save the 500 as well. I'm a cheap bastard. Your dealer is going to put you in the back of the line anyways cause your residential. Commercial accounts get fixed first around here.

scott47429

scott47429

my dealer don't put you at the back of the line just cause your residential he he fixes them in the order they come in he has used machines he will lone out to commercial accounts to keep them going and he will also lone one out to a home owner if they need it he's a great guy to work with

A

Abrahamm

Thanks all for the great responses.

Upon further research of the two machines, I've found that some of what comes standard on the MX isn't found on the SS model: arm rests, an hour meter, a welded deck (not stamped) a 23 HP motor vs. a 21.5 HP (same Kawasaki motor just tuned up some...) and it runs a larger hydro pump/ wheel motor system - recommended if one is to pull a trailer, which I will. A 17 cu. ft. dump trailer I've been pulling with my older Craftsmen 24 h.p. lawn tractor.

Of course, I don't want to spend more than is necessary, but so far no one here has the experience of running the ss vs. the mx and and so without the benefit of others experience my choice will be a greater gamble.

The cost difference that I've researched is roughly $500.00 more for the mx vs the ss - buying it on the internet. This coincidently is the difference between buying the ss from a dealer - weird...

The weight difference between the two models is 135 lbs the MX is the heavier. I wonder if this much of a factor in creating ruts or tearing up the grass more when pivot turn, if that makes sense...? This was not a concern with a garden tractor, but I guess when getting a zero turn there has to be some downside.

Thoughts?

Thanks again everyone.

scott47429

scott47429

if your ground is solid not soft then the weight won't matter much as far as ruts unless the ground is wet i personally like the heaver mower cause it will get better traction and will hold on a hill sideways better but thats just me and as far as damage to the yard on turns unless you have run a ZTR before you will damage the yard some till you get use to it no matter how heavy it is just remember to slow down before the turn and make sure both rear wheels are moving when making a turn if you just lock one of them up to make a turn you will damage they grass so slow dow pay attention to the rear wheels till you get the hang of it there alot of fun to use i love mine good luck

Parkmower

Parkmower

The fabbed deck alone is worth the extra $500.

Ric

Ric

I'm in the Houston, Texas area with 1 1/2 acres of St. Augustine grass (plus some unwelcome weeds...)

As I'm a geezer with a budget, the SS4260 appeals more to my budget, but perhaps I should get the MX4260.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Thanks again!

You asked for suggestions on other brands or models. It's a Cub Cadet Z Force 48" Commercial and you can buy it for $4199

Specifications

Engine

Engine22 HP Kohler Courage V-Twin OHV
(Displacement) 725cc
(Orientation) Vertical Cylinders2/cast iron sleeve Starting System Electric Lubrication(Filter) Full pressure w/spin-on oil filter Oil Capacity2 qt.Fuel Capacity Single 4.25-gallon tank/single storage pod Forward speed0-8 mph Reverse speed0-4 mph Fuel Gas Ignition Transistor controlled Cooling(System) Air

Transmission

Transmission Dual Hydro-Gear ZT 2800 w/oil reservoir and filter

Chassis

Steering3-way adjustable lap bars Frame Fully welded steel 1.5" x 2.0" tubular section Front Axle Pivoting, steel Tires Front13" x 5.0" - 6.0" (rib)Tires Rear20" x 8" - 10" (turf)Wheel caster(Pivot Bearings) Composite bushing

Dimensions

Deck Size 48"Deck Height Adjustment 1.0" - 4.0" (in .25" increments)Blade Spindle(Construction) Cast aluminum with tapered roller bearings Blade Length17"Blade (Brake Clutch) Ogura GT-1Wheelbase 43"Overall Length70"Width60"Weight722 lbs

General Information

Cutting Width48" triple blade 3-in-1Cutting Height1" - 4"Deck Construction11-gauge fabricated deck, w/7-gauge reinforced top plate Deck Drive Belt driven, KevlarョAnti-Scalping Front roller/ Adjustable nose roller and 2 greasable anti-scalp wheels
(Rear) 4 stripingWarranty3-year/180-hour limitedAlternator12V-15 amp. regulatedBattery275 cca Deck Lift Foot-pedal, spring assisted Seat High-back w/ arm rests and gel suspension Parking Brake Mechanical lever Deck(PTO) Electronic fingertip engagement SeatArm Rest High-back w/ (Type) arm rests and gel suspension Cup holder Standard - in storage poolWarranty3-year/180-hr limited warranty Air Cleaner Replaceable/dual element Wire Automotive-style Deck(Blades) Triple
(Style/System) Floating
(Wash) Patented Smart Jet high-pressure deck washing system Safety Systems Operator presence Standard Return to Neutral; Lap Bar Dampers; Greasable Spindle Bearings; Monitor/Hour Meter; Front Platform Design - Extruded steel Control3-way adjustable lap bars

Hydraulics

Hydraulic Type(Fluid) Rotella Triple Plus 15W40
(Fluid Capacity) 5.0 qt. (2.5 qt. per side including filter) including expansion tank
Oil Filter

A

Abrahamm

Ric,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I will certainly look hard at that model.

One thing and I hope I don't sound argumentative, but on some of the other threads on the forum, a number of members seem to have a negative opinion on the Kohler Courage engine.

Since I know little about the Kohler motors, perhaps there's one particular Kohler Courage motor (or year) they're not happy with or then again, maybe they mean all Kohler Courage motors. I just don't know... Or, maybe whatever made folks unhappy with that motor has been resolved. Again, I don't know.

Do you?

Thanks!

Ric

Ric

Ric,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I will certainly look hard at that model.

One thing and I hope I don't sound argumentative, but on some of the other threads on the forum, a number of members seem to have a negative opinion on the Kohler Courage engine.

Since I know little about the Kohler motors, perhaps there's one particular Kohler Courage motor (or year) they're not happy with or then again, maybe they mean all Kohler Courage motors. I just don't know... Or, maybe whatever made folks unhappy with that motor has been resolved. Again, I don't know.

Do you?

Thanks!

I don't really know what's happening and why but I can tell you I been running that unit six days a week and I have almost 600 hrs on the 22 kohler in 15 months and have never had a problem with that mower or engine. I also had two 20hp engines, one a single cylinder in a LT 1045 and the other the twin in a Z Force 44" ZTR and both motors had over 400 hrs and I never had a problem with either one of them.

The thing that puzzles me is if these Kohler Courage engines were as bad as some on here say why haven't there been any recalls from Kohler.:confused2:

If you were to buy a Kohler I would recommend using a standard petroleum based detergent oil ( I use Mobil 5000 10w30 in all my motors) and change your oil ever 50 hrs along with the filter and stay away from the synthetic oil. Keep your oil level within the operating range on the stick and never above and you'll never have a problem.
The other thing that I do with all my motors and people say I'm crazy but I change the oil and filter ever 25hrs for the first 100 hrs.

scott47429

scott47429

just my opinion i would run away from the courage engine

Popeye

Popeye

just my opinion i would run away from the courage engine

Same here

I looked up that mower and if you are going to be towing. That transmission ZT2200 bothers me. Since you are around Houston go look at a Hustler Sport. The one I was quoted last year is about $500 cheaper than that Toro with a Kawasaki engine and a ZT2800 tranny. Brother in Law has an Exmark in about that same price and I think they both have better components than the Toro you are looking at.
I buy from dealers. Only thing gas powered and or machinery I have bought over the internet is a McLane edger because nobody around here had a gas powered edger. I also capable of working on it if need be. When I lived in Sugarland I always dealt with SW Mower. But I have Snapper and SnapperPro mowers. Don't think they carry Hustler.

Just my .02

Ric

Ric

Same here

I looked up that mower and if you are going to be towing. That transmission ZT2200 bothers me. Since you are around Houston go look at a Hustler Sport. The one I was quoted last year is about $500 cheaper than that Toro with a Kawasaki engine and a ZT2800 tranny. Brother in Law has an Exmark in about that same price and I think they both have better components than the Toro you are looking at.
I buy from dealers. Only thing gas powered and or machinery I have bought over the internet is a McLane edger because nobody around here had a gas powered edger. I also capable of working on it if need be. When I lived in Sugarland I always dealt with SW Mower. But I have Snapper and SnapperPro mowers. Don't think they carry Hustler.

Just my .02

I don't think I understand, you said the ZT 2200 bothers you for towing but you recommend the hustler sport when according to the specs it has the same EZT transmission. :confused2: The 2800 is a better transmission?

Popeye

Popeye

They are not the same transmission.

EZT/ZT2200 (Toro)
Hydro-Gear - Single Axle Transaxles - ZT-2200 EZT

ZT2800 (Hustler)
Hydro-Gear - Single Axle Transaxles - ZT-2800

2800 is a better transmission and is rebuildable.

A

Abrahamm

I just got off the phone with my very close by (about three miles from me and I didn't know he existed) Hustler dealer.

I'll be looking and test driving a Hustler Sport 42" deck tomorrow. (Kawasaki engine)

The thing I've been trying to do is find technical detail specs for comparison to the Toro MX4260 and can't find them. The Hustler website doesn't give fine detail specs. At this point, all I know is they both come with Kawasaki engines, but I don't know if it's the same one or...? And, they both have welded decks and I understand from reading here the Toro has a ZT2200 transmission and the Hustler has the ZT2800 - other than those important details I know nothing more in order to compare.

Plus, I can't find the phone number for the Hustler service center. All they provide is an email contact and I want to speak to a tech type...

In order for me to make a decision between the two and yes, this is where I'm heading, I have to know the detail differences.

HELP!

and thanks all.

Popeye

Popeye

Here's a couple of links

Hustler Turf Products - Residential Mowers - Sport

http://www.hustlerturf.com/images/Specification_PDFs/2011_Specs/SPECS_Sport_3-11.pdf

I stand corrected on the Sport. When I looked it up last night the site I looked at said zt2800. The web site Hustlers says EZT. I got a price of $3299 w/kawi engine.

Here is a phone number I found. Not sure if it works but i think it is their main number. (620) 327-4911

A

Abrahamm

Just found out the Hustler Sport ZTR (42"deck) comes with a FR 541 Kawasaki engine which is a 15 HP power plant.

Hhmm, doesn't sound nearly as impressive as the Toro MX with it's 23 Hp Kawasaki.

I've also been told not to let hp numbers mislead me.

Maybe is 15 hp is enough...?

And thanks everyone for your responses.

I'll eventually decide which one to buy...when I get definitive answers to my many questions.

A

Abrahamm

Popeye,

I didn't see the phone number you provided on your reply, thank you, thank you, it's just what I need.

I've called and gotten a lot of my questions asked.

I bow in the direction of your google-foo to find that number cuz I sure couldn't.

Thanks again!

Ric

Ric

Just found out the Hustler Sport ZTR (42"deck) comes with a FR 541 Kawasaki engine which is a 15 HP power plant.

Hhmm, doesn't sound nearly as impressive as the Toro MX with it's 23 Hp Kawasaki.

I've also been told not to let hp numbers mislead me.

Maybe is 15 hp is enough...?

And thanks everyone for your responses.

I'll eventually decide which one to buy...when I get definitive answers to my many questions.

I don't know about the FR 541 but the Grandstand I just purchased has the FS 541 and I found nothing that it will not cut. I also ran a 13hp Kawasaki on the G1336 commercial WB and it was an awesome engine. I wouldn't worry about the 15 not being enough. I'd be more worried about the transmissions.

Popeye

Popeye

I was actually going to buy Hustler Sport until I looked a the SnapperPro S50x I have now. It was more money than the Sport or some of the others I looked at. But for the price and what's on it. It was a lot more mower than the others and not that much more money. It is a commercial machine and for the cabin in E. Texas the others would not have stood up. Sorry about the confusion I caused I don't know what I pulled up but it wasn't the right specs on the Sport. Still a solid machine.

P

Paulz2821

Engines....biggest mistake I made. Big motor means big gas bill. You want the motor that will do the job. I think the mx4250 will suit your needs and you will be very happy. Spend the 500 and get the beefed tranny, fabbed deck and arm rests. Toro is a reputable name that everyone knows even if they aren't mower junkies. Or buy a used commercial mower that you know nothing about. Remember that your the one paying for it so Do what's right for you and your wallet. How old are you?

A

Abrahamm

I demo'd the MX4260 and really like it.

Until I saw the MX5060 and that's the one I want. Didn't get to demo it, but sat in it and touched everything and oohed and eaahed and drooled...

Same engine as the the MX4260, (23 Hp Kawasaki) but much else is bigger i.e., 50" deck, ZT2800 Transmission, bigger tires, more seating comfort overall and frankly, looks so much bigger in comparison to the MX4260 that the 42" looks like a toy.

Is bigger always better? No. In this case though I'd be moving up in deck size from my old lawn tractor (46" deck) to a 50". Moving down to a 42" seemed to make sense initially cuz a lot of the time I can't utilize the entire lawn tractor deck as I often have to make 1/2 deck size cuts because it's set up to mulch and often can't digest as much grass with that set up as a side discharge.

I plan to use side discharge and quit mulching - so I thought a 42" would work as I could utilize the whole deck with each cutting pass. And, that's what I'll do. With a 50" deck! Whoo Hoo!

I'm about to go out and cut my 1 1/2 acres with ye old lawn tractor, (it's only 98 degrees out) but if all goes according to plan it'll be the last time...

Popeye

Popeye

Congrats,
Shame you can't go ahead cut it with that new Toro.

Same engine as the the MX4260, (23 Hp Kawasaki) but much else is bigger i.e., 50" deck, ZT2800 Transmission,

That is a better choice than the Hustler Sport IMHO

N

nickpicker

Opinions?

Thanks!

Thanks again!
I have the SS mysely and other than the stamped deck and arm rest deal I believe they are the same i personally bought online and saved a bundle also.

I choose the SS 4260 also.. Since the MX 4260 & the SS 4260 have hydros that are not servicable, I chose the lighter model..

Plus saved a bunch getting an end of the year sale from my local Dealer, so mine is a 2014 (100th year Anniversary) for Toro..

C

catldavis

So I'm looking at starting a small landscaping business to get my two boys out of the house and away from the video games. I have a full time job but with one income (mom is a stay-at-home mother) money is a little tight. I can get a MX4260 with 500 hours for $1,000. Is the mower heavy duty enough to use in a limited commercial (5-8 yards a week) basis?