Toro 8-32 Transmission

Berniebac

Threads
I picked up a new project to work on over the winter. Its an oldie. I bought a Toro 8-32 and here is a few pics.
ToroLHSComp.jpg

ToroRearComp.jpg
ToroRHSComp.jpg
It has a Briggs 8HP "Synchro Balanced" Model; 191707 Type; 2161 01 Code; 87010809
I have found labels on it saying Toro 8-32, Riding Mower, Mod. 56145, Ser. 7006676, on the Deck is "4 in 1" 32" Cut.
The owner indicated that the transmission "went out". He was mowing and the chain fell off so he reinstalled it, tightened it and it would not move. The transmission says on it "PEERLESS GEAR-DIV-TECUMSEH. I am not able to find any other labels, model no., etc on the transmission itself. When I was pushing it in the driveway I could hear the gears in the transmission turning, so I shifted it to neutral and it went in to neutral. I put it in reverse and pushed it and you could hear the gears turning and they sounded normal to me, no loud clanging or grinding noises. Since it is so old parts will likely be a problem, but I am going to try to get it going (he had the motor running when I arrived to pick it up).

The tractor/deck is in very good shape and made of heavy metal. Seems like it has always been stored inside. It is leaking oil from somewhere in the engine. The throttle cable is loose. It has a gas leak. It does turn over but battery died before starting. It does have the standard duct tape seat found on a used tractor.

Battery is on the charger but the battery is a cheap brand and is dated 7/20 so I am not hopeful that it will hold a charge.

I will start with an internet search for an owners manual for the tractor and the engine. If any of you can help with these please advise.

If you are aware of any quirks with these transmissions that might result in a quick fix please let me know.

Its a winter project so it will take time to bring it back to life, if it can be brought back. Oh, he was asking $200 for the tractor and I asked him what he would take for a broken tractor with a lot of problems and he said $50 bucks, so I took it. Probably a dumb move on my part but lets have some fun.

Berniebac

Threads

That looks like just what I need, if it is a transmission problem. I am hoping it is not and that I do not have to take the transmission apart. They just look complicated and easy to mess up. But I will try if I need to. Thank you so much.